Author Topic: [contest] Design a new logo for Manjaro  (Read 47992 times)

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
  • Skill: Novice
Re: [contest] Design a new logo for Manjaro
« Reply #30 on: 07. October 2015, 10:19:33 »
Personal i can live with this :

As 'new' logo..

but as modification :

is fine , stil based comfortaa font... And also stil recognized logo but different..just simple :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline Werner

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: intel/nvidia
  • GPU driver: nouveau
  • Kernel: linux318-x64
« Reply #31 on: 07. October 2015, 10:26:17 »
Personal i like this kindawork in a logo :)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Umbrella_thorn_acacia_or_israeli_babool_tree_plant_acacia_tortillis.jpg

that three with a shape of kilimanjaro mountain behind could be nice logo . but i m not the artist to draft one ..
but my 12 points will go to the actual logo anyway

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #32 on: 07. October 2015, 10:36:47 »
Personal i can live with this :

As 'new' logo..

but as modification :

is fine , stil based comfortaa font... And also stil recognized logo but different..just simple :)
nice!
As I have said before - I think it would be a good idea to maybe use both variations for a while for a smooth transition, somthing like the proud new logo in the header of a webpage and the square logo (very good with the new font) somewhere as a familiar footprint at the bottom or in a picture on the side or something like that :)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline derPlanet

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #33 on: 07. October 2015, 10:51:26 »
As a long time Manjaro user, I would like a single color in the logo, the way we have it currently.

I agree with this. Simpler, better.

Is it just me or someone out there also thinks the text font in the Logo is a bit too curvy and think?

Exactly my thoughts ever since I've came across with the current manjaro logo. The squarish A.I.R Flier rectangle form and its sharp edges don't go hand in hand with the rounded Comfortaa. Comfortaa is too warm and friendly to be be used in the Manjaro logo, I think. It looks also a bit childish, which is not wrong in itself but again doesn't fit in Manjaro's concept, I think. And the only one among the proposed logos, which looks harmonious, is in this respect this:

Remember the old ubuntu logo/typeface? It did its job well. Everything in the logo was rounded, (user-)friendly, went hand in hand, which IMO reflected the ubuntu's approach very well.

Wow! Well done, derPlanet! Those are very nice!

Thank you, if you really mean it. :) I don't find the first two of them bad, either. :)

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #34 on: 07. October 2015, 11:00:19 »
nice!
As I have said before - I think it would be a good idea to maybe use both variations for a while for a smooth transition, somthing like the proud new logo in the header of a webpage and the square logo (very good with the new font) somewhere as a familiar footprint at the bottom or in a picture on the side or something like that :)

You know what? I didn't even recognize the last logo as a new one. I didn't even think to include it as a choice. The wonders of Gestalt psychology.  :-[ ::) :-X

@derPlanet: Some dissonance is not always a bad thing.
« Last Edit: 07. October 2015, 11:03:15 by eugen-b »
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
« Reply #35 on: 07. October 2015, 11:07:29 »
Thank you, if you really mean it. :)
I do, that's why I said it :D
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline oli

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Openbox, Pekwm
  • GPU Card: Intel core processor integrated graphics controller
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 3.18 or 3.16
« Reply #36 on: 07. October 2015, 11:08:00 »
I like the old logo... If it really must be changed then I'd change it to something similar, I will have a go at making something later...
Didn't we already pass that same stack of rocks twice?

Offline Ivanwah

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670
  • GPU driver: Free (radeon)
  • Kernel: 4.2
« Reply #37 on: 07. October 2015, 11:54:08 »
Here are my first drafts. Now here's the meaning: the white arch is a nod to Arch. The black (not actual black, but close) arch is built upon the white one, and together they form "m" for Manjaro. Also, the black arch curves at the bottom right to form lowercase "l", which stands for, you guessed it, Linux :D

Edit: I see .svg images don't show if attatched, I'm posting .png too.
« Last Edit: 07. October 2015, 12:03:29 by Ivanwah »

Offline LonelyWoof

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #38 on: 07. October 2015, 12:10:14 »
The concerns voiced above regarding the Motorola M logo are valid and should not be ignored, but to the extent they imply the similar but easily distinguishible Manjaro M logo cannot be used, they overstate the case.  Also, in the interest of using the correct terminology, these issues involve trademark law not copyright law. 

It's not just a pedantic distinction, trademarks and copyrights are two completely separate universes with almost nothing in common ecnomically, legally and philosophically.  Trademarks are primarily about consumer fraud prevention - their value as "property" is a pleasant side-effect for the owner. 

If the round M Manjaro logo (or anything similar) wins an early vote, the best course of action would be to simply write a letter to the appropriate contact at Motorola and ask them what they think about it.  Make it clear that you do not make phones or radios or anything else that they do, that you never will, that you love Motorola, in fact you named your son AND your daughter Motorola, that you would only use the logo in connection with software (and maybe T-shirts and stickers... but nothing with an antenna or chip).  To emphasize the distinction you should make a "style guide" where you set forth rules for how the logo must always be used, and never deviate from these rules once established.  Of course, the rules should be drafted in a way that emphasizes distinctions from Moto and minimizes similarities (never use the shade of blue Moto uses, or even any shade of blue period, etc.). 

The most important distinction is that the entire word Manjaro should appear in connection with the round M logo for "most uses".  You can still use the round M alone, but only do it in situations where it is most appropriate due to space limitations or other concerns.  Otherwise, it should appear near the whole word so that that association is established and developed in people's minds, and so that Motorola can see you are not trying to trick anyone or unfairly benefit from the goodwill Motorola has created in their logo over the years.

Actually, Motorola is a great example of this.  Pay attention to how they sometimes use the round M alone, but mostly you'll see the word Motorola near it unless doing so looks stupid (e.g. the back of a phone).  As the brand owner, they want people to associate a product they like with Motorola, not with "whoever that company is that makes the phone with the perky breasts in a circle on the back", just like Manjaro would want all users to know that the distro they love is called Manjaro not "something that begins with an M... uhm Micros... no....hmm."  But for the "start" menu button icon?  Round M alone of course, unless you prefer high aspect ratio buttons (there's no accounting for taste :p)

Finally, at the US and European trademark offices (and all the others on earth), you will find an extremely detailed description of the Motorola round M logo.  Subtely alter the Manjaro round M logo such that the official description of the Moto logo is as inapplicable to the ManjO as practical without harming the aesthetic value.

All of the above also applies to any other logo that may be selected that may be somewhat similar to the famous established logo of a big company.  Don't dismiss it out of hand; make a good faith effort to make it easily distinguishable so that consumers wouldn't be confused and contact the company and ask them before deciding to use it or not use it.  This is one situation where it is definitely better to ask for permission instead of forgiveness.

You could also slightly change the logo by making the M more rounded and curvey, and make it yellow or even golden, and sitting atop a red field over white text that says "over 1 million files served" ???

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
« Reply #39 on: 07. October 2015, 12:15:50 »
Here are my first drafts. Now here's the meaning: the white arch is a nod to Arch. The black (not actual black, but close) arch is built upon the white one, and together they form "m" for Manjaro. Also, the black arch curves at the bottom right to form lowercase "l", which stands for, you guessed it, Linux :D

How do you think about adding the top left part of "m" with the dark colour? It would look less abstract, but on the other hand abstractness is a quality of its own.

Offline Ivanwah

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670
  • GPU driver: Free (radeon)
  • Kernel: 4.2
« Reply #40 on: 07. October 2015, 12:34:46 »
How do you think about adding the top left part of "m" with the dark colour? It would look less abstract, but on the other hand abstractness is a quality of its own.
Sure, I could make it like that, but in a couple of hours. I did purposely omit that in order to emphasize the white arch. But your solution to make that part dark too could also work. In any case, feel free to edit .svg images I attached however you see fit.

Offline derPlanet

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #41 on: 07. October 2015, 13:12:23 »

Nice. I like it. How about putting the "Manjaro Linux" under the "m" playing with other typefaces and making the white a bit warm like this? Here I've used Bebas Neue Bold.

Offline Thyssen

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #42 on: 07. October 2015, 13:14:02 »

It also looks a bit like an elephant, which lives on Kilimanjaro :-D

Offline baron

• Neuling
« Reply #43 on: 07. October 2015, 13:20:19 »
I agree with this. Simpler, better.

Hi,

in my opinion, it's the best choice. Simple, very ellegant, great!

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
« Reply #44 on: 07. October 2015, 13:53:06 »
another two variations - they are free for anyone for anything

@derPlanet: The edgy font makes a good contrast to the round logo.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2015, 00:52:29 by eugen-b »