Author Topic: Pipelight installation  (Read 3233 times)

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Always thinking, always crazy
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • GPU driver: Free and proprietary, depending on need
  • Kernel: 4.1.13
  • Skill: Intermediate
Pipelight installation
« on: 29. September 2015, 05:33:53 »
I figured I will write this tutorial as on Manajro and other Arch based distros pipelight installation is a little tricky for those coming over from say ubuntu and there a few more extra steps then mentioned on the pipelight installation page for arch.
Now one could get pipelight from AUR but it takes a long time to install and compile, and with pipelight having regular updates it can get very involved real fast.

Anyhow:
Step one is the same as it is on the pipelight installation page, add this entry to /etc/pacman.conf:

Code: [Select]
[pipelight]
Server = http://repos.fds-team.de/stable/arch/$arch

Step two is where this tutorial differs, if you try to install pipelight and refresh repos Pamac and octopi wont load anything and you will get this error if you try to add your keys:

sudo pacman-key -r E49CC0415DC2D5CA
gpg: connecting dirmngr at '/root/.gnupg/S.dirmngr' failed: IPC connect call failed
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No dirmngr
==> ERROR: Remote key not fetched correctly from keyserver.

Before trying to add the keys you need to pop this into the command line:
sudo dirmngr </dev/null

This will aid in importing the keyfiles the pipelight repo needs and with that now you can enter the following commands:
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key E49CC0415DC2D5CA
refresh your repositories and install pipelight via gui/commandline

Next is the next major headache I have bumped into, firefox will not load any plugins pipelight. sure you can install say drm enabled windows flash or silverlight with the commands:
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable flash
but neither will appear until you enter this command after enabling whatever plugins you need:
sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins

Another tricky bit I had to face is putting this command in afterwards:
sudo pipelight-plugin --update

on the pipelight installation page this command is rather early but trust me do it after you do all the needed commands, pipelight is quite finicky here.
Lastly is the final major quirk, the wine-staging package if needing an upgrade will not upgrade in the GUI and you need to update pacman via commandline
sudo pacman -Syu
Otherwise pipelight works fine once installed, but I rather document the hoop jumping one has to do right now to get it working
Insanity is only a state of mind

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Pipelight installation
« Reply #1 on: 11. October 2015, 05:06:49 »
To install the package just add the following entry to your /etc/pacman.conf:

[pipelight]
Server = http://repos.fds-team.de/stable/arch/$arch

The nest step will try to add the keyrings but it likely wont work unless you first enter

sudo dirmngr </dev/null

and then add the keyrings in the next step

As next step you should add our key to your pacman key database to allow verifying the packages. All packages and the repository itself is signed using a 4096 bit RSA key, so that you can set the SigLevel to Required if you like. You can import the key and set the trust level to trusted by using:

sudo pacman-key --lsign-key E49CC0415DC2D5CA

Now you can install Pipelight like any other package using pacman and update the plugins:

sudo pacman -Sy pipelight
sudo pipelight-plugin --update

Now you have the necessary packages installed and you can continue by enabling plugins.

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #2 on: 11. October 2015, 05:09:31 »
Enabling plugins

2. Using windows browser plugins

After installing Pipelight, you will need to enable the plugins you want to use. By default all plugins are disabled and you need to enable them through the pipelight-plugin script. Enabling a plugin is as easy as executing the following command in your terminal:

sudo pipelight-plugin --enable pluginname

To disable the plugin again use:

sudo pipelight-plugin --disable pluginname

If you do not want to enable a plugin for all users on your system, but only your current user, simply leave out the sudo. The pipelight-plugin script supports a lot more commands, which you can check out in our man page.

Not all plugins work completely out of the box and may require some additional configuration or steps. Therefore make sure to checkout the plugin related information:
   Silverlight®
   Adobe® Flash®
   Shockwave® Player
   Unity® Web Player
   Widevine®
   npactivex

There are also some other smaller plugins, which do not have a dedicated page. You can get a list of all supported plugins by executing:

pipelight-plugin --help

Some of these plugins need to be "unlocked" first (this will create some extra file consuming some disk space). If you try to enable such a plugin, you will get an error tell you to execute

sudo pipelight-plugin --unlock pluginname

first. If you do not longer need a specific plugin you can use --lock instead to remove the file again.

The following additional plugins (i.e. they were not mentioned yet) are supported as of version 0.2.7 and must be unlocked:
Plugin    Command    Description
Adobe® Reader®    adobereader    Popular PDF viewer on Windows
Foxit® PDF Reader    foxitpdf    Another PDF viewer
Grandstream® Plugin    grandstream    Plugin to connect to IP cameras
Hikvision® Plugin    hikvision    Another plugin to connect to IP cameras
Roblox® Plugin    roblox    A web plugin to launch games created with Roblox
Vizzed Retro Game Room    vizzedrgr    A game console emulator for old games
Viewright® Caiway®    viewright-caiway    The ViewRight player in the Caiway edition (VOD service in NL)
Triangleplayer    triangleplayer    Required to play the game "The Lost Titans"
Unity® Web Player (64-bit)    x64-unity3d    64-bit version of the Unity Webplayer
Adobe® Flash® (64-bit)    x64-flash    64-bit version of Flash

Offline lostipod

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX 650 Ti BOOST
  • Kernel: 4.1.18-2
« Reply #3 on: 03. April 2016, 03:34:36 »
but neither will appear until you enter this command after enabling whatever plugins you need:
sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins

And to enable in Chromium?