Author Topic: OpenRC News and Download Help for Newbies  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Tailor

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Guru
Re: OpenRC News and Download Help for Newbies
« Reply #30 on: 30. September 2015, 06:06:12 »
@withjaro I do not understand.

@beardedragon No nerve touched, no panic either. Manjaro OpenRC has this forum and github. It's enough. You confuse a user base with a bigger group of devs needing bigger collab platforms.

User base means testing stuff on a wider variety of hardware platforms and software configurations. If the general public can use systemd and report its bugs, it can do the same for OpenRC.

What OpenRC does not have is clear positioning within Manjaro vis-a-vis community editions, which philm does not support, systemd or otherwise. He has promised some future website changes which he thinks will help give OpenRC edition better visibility.

From experience I consider OpenRC far more reliable than systemd, but still, a wide user base helps. It isn't just bug reports. End users can assist each other if one has knowledge the other lacks.

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #31 on: 30. September 2015, 15:26:17 »
@Tailor ....(i do not understand) ... simply as you said ... i need to become a little more 'hands-on' with regards to a better understanding and auditing of OpenRC,for my own convenience and to further the effectiveness of OpenRC

@beardeddragon on the lughead ... yep,im still playing with Microsoft trash to a degree,the decrepit laptop i use has Sony stamped on it,so my objective is to turn it into a Linux/Playstation combo .. (by welding a few PS components to the existing mobo (disparate results so far  ::)) - its to my eternal annoyance that retailers only sell hardware with operating systems on them,with a little research,i realise 'barebones' options exist - but they dont make them easy to obtain ... but im biding time and refusing to compromise  ...... as far as 'touching nerves' .... i LOVE it ... it forces me to think ;) ..... (i only wish more people had the courage,concern and where-with-all to do it more often  ::))
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline Tleilaxu Ghola

• Neuling
  • KDE & Debian Fanboy
  • Branch: Open RC
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon HD 6870
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: Linux 4.1.8-1 x86_64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #32 on: 01. October 2015, 20:10:17 »
If we are being real here we have to acknowledge that Manjaro OpenRC still uses udev/systemd and to get systemd's tendrils completely out of the OpenRC edition there is still a long way to go. Yes, it is presented as an alternative init to systemd, but ...well udev is still very systemd.

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #33 on: 01. October 2015, 20:55:37 »
If we are being real here we have to acknowledge that Manjaro OpenRC still uses udev/systemd and to get systemd's tendrils completely out of the OpenRC edition there is still a long way to go. Yes, it is presented as an alternative init to systemd, but ...well udev is still very systemd.

Nope, it is not udev, rather than packages depending on some systemd library.
Feel free to maintain libsystemd free packages, perhaps starting with packages from base group.
There is no working udev abstraction in PKGBUILDs, its there, but unused.
« Last Edit: 01. October 2015, 20:58:25 by artoo »

Offline Tleilaxu Ghola

• Neuling
  • KDE & Debian Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 02. October 2015, 01:12:41 »
Nice  8)..that clears some things up. I have not had a chance to do some work on the system setup today. I am still going through the configuration and services and figuring out just what I am going to need to do to replicate everything  on my system in the OpenRC environment, Including my current KDE environment (sorry Xfce.you just ain't the same) I hope to dig into setting up i2p and the Tor relay tomorrow when I have all day free. I am a little limited because I have to do everything in a VM instead of having a complete 2nd computer to work on. The Tor relay setup is sort of going to be a best guess because I cannot really test it unless I take it offline on my actual, working system. Same thing with i2p. I am going to ask around to see if anyone is running a relay under this distro already. I hope it is going to be relatively straightforward getting Tor running on the OpenRC system. In Debian systemd/systemctl is all over the tor.service..

I REALLY love this distro so far, and I can't wait to get everything ironed out so  I can switch. I wiped windows off of my SSD so I have a nice clean drive to for the transfer.

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I thought that when you said it would require recompiling more than 100 packages to really be free of any elements/dependencies of systemd I took that to mean being completely clear of all systemd was not going to happen any time soon.

Then again I am not in a hurry or going to rush this transition anyway.. :)
« Last Edit: 02. October 2015, 01:18:12 by Tleilaxu Ghola »

Offline Tailor

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #35 on: 02. October 2015, 04:09:08 »
@Tleilaxu Ghola  If your main purpose is the tor relay then use Alpine Linux which differs from Manjaro OpenRC in that libsystemd deps are not baked into the repo. It is very anti-systemd and uses OpenRC. For a security app like tor is more locked down (grsec kernel, musl, etc).

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #36 on: 02. October 2015, 08:11:34 »
@Tleilaxu Ghola  If your main purpose is the tor relay then use Alpine Linux which differs from Manjaro OpenRC in that libsystemd deps are not baked into the repo. It is very anti-systemd and uses OpenRC. For a security app like tor is more locked down (grsec kernel, musl, etc).

Simply use gentoo, and no binary package distro.
Problem solved, no systemd present. :)

Offline Tailor

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #37 on: 02. October 2015, 10:02:53 »
Simply use gentoo
Interesting fact: Alpine is built from Gentoo sources....but it more resembles Arch.

Offline Tailor

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #38 on: 03. October 2015, 09:13:27 »
Another mainline blog post on community editions lacks mention of OpenRC edition.

Offline Tleilaxu Ghola

• Neuling
  • KDE & Debian Fanboy
« Reply #39 on: 04. October 2015, 00:51:31 »
Another mainline blog post on community editions lacks mention of OpenRC edition.

I guess OpenRC needs a fancy wallpaper jpeg it can set as a wallpaper and open in an image editor at the same time.. ::)

I suggest screen capturing the OpenRC boot sequence, set it as wallpaper, then open the wallaper's jpeg in an image editor while also booting OpenRC in a VM and then screencapping ALL of those OpemRC boot sequences as a highRES jpeg then submit the screenshot as a promotion for the OpenRC Community Edition...  8)
« Last Edit: 04. October 2015, 00:54:40 by Tleilaxu Ghola »

Offline Tailor

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #40 on: 04. October 2015, 01:47:25 »
ISO updated to version 15.09
Thank you for 15.09 OpenRC. Ask philm to let you post a note on Manjaro blog. I think it would be a pull request.

Offline Tailor

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #41 on: 11. October 2015, 11:14:10 »
I think it would really help! Here for instance is Fluxbox 15.10 on the main blog.
You have the choice between init systems Systemd and OpenRC

Offline m0rl0ck

• Neuling
  • Branch: Manjaro 15.09 OpenRC, Debian 8.2, Slackware -current
  • Desktop: !gnome3
  • GPU Card: Geforce GT 630
  • GPU driver: NVIDIA 3.55
  • Kernel: 4.1.6 RYO
« Reply #42 on: 16. October 2015, 21:47:35 »
I totally agree that manjaro needs to better highlight that it offers an openrc alternative. Looking at the webpage etc. it looks like openrc is the neglected stepchild.
I would never have known about manjaro openrc if i had not been wearing a slackware hat while waiting for a bus when another linux geek saw it and we started discussing (what else?) systemd and  alternatives.
Get the word out, if you build it they will come :)
"The mind sent outside is the origination of suffering.
The result of the mind sent outside is suffering.
The mind seeing the mind is the path.
The result of the mind seeing the mind is the cessation of suffering."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/dune/giftsheleft.html

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #43 on: 16. October 2015, 21:55:37 »
I would love having someone to do openrc PR, announcements for iso etc...

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #44 on: 16. October 2015, 23:02:14 »
I would love having someone to do openrc PR, announcements for iso etc...
Theres a burgeoning fanzine culture growing within Linux communities at the moment,i see - it has always existed,but there does seem to be a taste for them growing  :) ... could be the future of social media,as it requires constructive cooperation as opposed to disjointed retorts  ;) My only concern with regards to marketing OpenRC,is i was aware of OpenRC robotics,before i became familiar with OpenRC inits ... shouldnt be too much of an obstacle though ... maybe glide an angle which would be mutually beneficial  :)
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >