Author Topic: [to test] ISO's Lxqt 0.9 pre4 32 (CDS) and 64 available (without Gtk3 :-)  (Read 7275 times)

Offline tulliana

• Core Team
  • Forever Manjaro
    • http://bilgegunluk.com
  • Branch: unstable - testing
  • Desktop: KDE5 Plasma
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 630M
  • GPU driver: free-nonfree
  • Kernel: Unstable
  • Skill: Advanced
Great work mate  ;)

Thanks..

Offline Xeto

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
I have some trouble with DM change and first os upgrade (gpg  error), but works now.

+ Dual monitor setup works fine!
- again trackball / mouse speed isn't saved or reset during reboot
- problems with lightdm (notebook with two external displays, DM only works with notebook display)

Some problems to find alternatives for keepassx (gtk based I think) and have to work with it a time to see if it fit my needs (daily work with Chromium, Netbeans, ...).

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
You can use gnome-keyring, it works fine. But it brings gtk3 with him.
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)

Offline Xeto

• Jr. Mitglied
After some testing.

1) trackball (also mouse?!) speed value is saved and shown, but default is used (important, workaround is change value and back again)
2) LightDM problem (no display manager, screen is black) -> next release with sddm should fix this problem
3) add synapse to search / quick launch applications? (hotkey super key as used with XFCE Whisker Menu?). Maybe also lxqt-runner could be fine.
4) maximize (full, left, right) and minimize windows with openbox hotkeys (super + arrow keys)
5) Move panel plugin "Reboot" to the right next to "Shutdown"
6) Remove some applications (Avahi SSH Server Browser, Avahi VNC Server Browser, HexChat, Qtransmission Bittorrent) from default
7) install gvfs-smb (0,01MB)
8 ) Some textfields and checkboxes in Firefox have a black background. I would like a change to Chromium as default (I use the hangout app...)

After take a look again at KeepassX there is NO GTK dependency, but QT4. Haven't found a QT5 version.
« Last Edit: 07. April 2015, 10:32:20 by Xeto »

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
Thanks for your message, very constructive and very interesting. But a lot of things to discuss, it will be disorder.

I go back now from Calamares to Thus, but  have a problem of size, because Thus is very heavy (200MB). My 32 bits is not necessary CD-Size, but it's a game for me, and for the moment it's size is 695,2MB, so...

In this ISO, I have compton and compton-conf (compiled in qt5).

First pass :

1) I don't have a trackball. Will see for mouse, but what to do except a bug report ?

2) yep. Sddm works now fine for me. I must only find a nice greeter

3) i put that on my list, to see. Alt+F2 do that also a bit. I don't understand for lxqt-runner, you will a shortcut in the taskbar ?

4) i never use the keyboard shortcuts personally. The whole is to study, also for 3)

5) no reason. I have exactly the same layout on my xfce, with Reboot at the left. Why not, we often have to reboot

6) no sure to have understood : you will hide them ? In this case, I can understand for avahi, but hexchat and transmission-qt must stay accessible form the menu ??

7) gvfs-smb is rarely used, and brings smbclient (5MB). To see if I have free space, Xfce has it, so... added to my list anyway

8 ) in the new ISO, i will change the gtk theme from Menda-dark to Vertex-dark, less black. Maybe it can solve that.

9) i have found, compiled, installed (but on xfce for the moment) a keepassx Qt5. The problem is that I absolutely don't know this application, and so don't know how to see if it works or not.

if I can test that and if it works well, I will probably write a PKGBUILD.
« Last Edit: 07. April 2015, 13:58:07 by Esclapion »

Offline Xeto

• Jr. Mitglied
Hi Esclapion,

thanks for detailed reply :)

Size shouldn't be the reason... I use a usb stick and dd  :P
I think LXQT Manjaro has capability to be a great OS / DE. So some nice Win7, Manjaro XFCE / Gnome features should be added.

1) Trackball / mouse
I have to test it with a normal mouse soon... Other than monitor settings there is no "Save" or/ and "Apply" button. I change the speed from 20 to 100 and all works fine. After reboot value 100 is displayed, but it's to slow. Like default value. Change and set it back to 100 and it works until I reboot.

2) Should be fine than :)

3) I haven't used lxqt-runner before, so I installed synapse as application quick starter (Super / Windows key as hotkey, app name and start with hit enter). After first simple test lxqt-runner should fit my needs. I just would change the hotkey ;)

4) I take a look. Should be simple at Openbox shortcut config, but with Gui "Super" / "Meta" key can't be used...
Win7 and also some Linux DEs use some shortcuts or click & hold a window and "throw" it to the top / left / right to maximize to full / half screen.

5) Yes, no reason to change it. I can customize my install if needed ;)

6) I don't know (Avahi Browsers, is needed why?) or need (Bittorrent, Chat, ...) that applications. So could be removed from default image and simply installed if needed by the user?

7) Haven't see an installed smbclient as dependency? Are you sure? It's needed to mount smb via PCManFM.

8) Ok. My solution is "pacman -S chromium" ;) Just because I use Hangout and some more chromium apps.

9) KeepassX Qt5 would be great!!! If you write a PKGBUILD I will install and test (use) it :) I don't know how to write a PKGBUILD, just how I can install it via Octopi / yaourt / pacman  :-\

10) PCManFM crashes if a selected media (smb via gvfs-smb or also a local hdd partition) gets umount via PCManFM (right click, umount). No problem if you leave the directory before umount it. Other FMs change to home dir or something else.
« Last Edit: 07. April 2015, 16:40:03 by Xeto »

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
6) avahi is installed by dependencies, I can do nothing. If I suppress it, I suppress also 416 MB of usefull applications. I can hide it, but it's all.
For hexchat, it's very usefull for beginners. With a click on that, they are on #manjaro and can ask for help.
transmission-qt(5) is a light p2p client. A lot of people (me included) use torrents. Not absolutely needed, but interesting.

7) gvfs-smb depends of smbclient, but this last is installed due to a dependency of mpv. So, I add it to the ISO now. ;)

For the fun :

On this screenshot, you can note keepassx qt5. I don't know this application, so I don't know if it works well or not. I will leave it in the next ISO for testing purpose.

Offline Xeto

• Jr. Mitglied
Thanks!!! Can't wait to get the new testing iso ;D

I do some tests with KeepassX and report it back here. I use it to store my logins credentials, generate new passwords and perform an auto login ("auto type" feature) with a hotkey (ctrl + y).
It isn't a "embedded" solution like gnome keyring, but great if you use it with Linux, Windows and also Android Smartphones.

Offline petrea

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: lxqt
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4400
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 3.14-x64
I can't wait it too.
Acer Aspire V7 582P i5 256 SSD

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
I looked at synapse, it can be added, but not real advantage vs Alt-F2, who is very complete.   ::)

Maybe the icon in the taskbar, but it's all ?

Offline Xeto

• Jr. Mitglied
I changed to lxqt-runner and removed synapse ;)
lxqt-runner with hotkey (prefered "Windows key only) is just fine. So nothing to change here. Thanks for take a look in it!

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.6
  • Skill: Intermediate
lxqt-runner is definitely fine for the beginning. it does searching and you can easily launch your applications with it.
it is also part of the lxqt DE.

personally, i use synapse, because synapse learns from you: after a while of usage, i just have to type one or two letters to start my most used applications. but this is advanced stuff.

i also think the "windows/meta/super" key is much easier / more intuitive than alt + f2.
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline Xeto

• Jr. Mitglied
If size is not the main goal, maybe synapse (~7MB?) and some nice shortcuts could be fine ;)
LXQT is great and light, but the DE have to compare with Gnome, KDE, XFCE.

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
Synapse is < 1 MB. So, yes or not ?  ;D

I will do a poll, if it continues...  ;)

Offline DiscipleOfDante

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4000
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: linux-ck-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Any plans to make one with nm-applet? Connman doesn't work at all here, it fails to connect to the vast majority of wifi networks.