Author Topic: New to the Forum , Introduce Yourself .  (Read 230272 times)

Offline JackOM

• Jr. Mitglied
Re: New to the Forum , Introduce Yourself .
« Reply #15 on: 14. February 2013, 21:58:39 »
Nice thread,
 I'm from Tuscany Italy, met Ubuntu in early 2007 and used it until the arrival of Unity at that time had also become quite heavy, not only becouse of Unity, so decided to take a look around,  I went from Kubuntu, Mint (Mate, Cinnamon, the LMDE version), Fedora, Arch (Gnome and KDE) and the one I liked most of all was Chakra but also this one isn't so light, so looking for something lightweight I tried Manjaro LXDE and WOW, I immediately felt at home, then I wanted to try the XFCE version, i also liked that,  thinking that kde would be heavy for Manjaro to, then hearing her praise from some of you i wanted to give it a try, and compared to Chakra, it flies!! It' not as LXDE or XFCE, but enough to stay with me.
On my laptop there are also Win7 (damned Android phones manufacturers) and Ubuntu (still 12.04 LTS) but i use them very rarely of course.

That's all, greetings to all around here.

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #16 on: 14. February 2013, 22:07:54 »
Thank you JackOM , wanted to make it in order to bond the community as to speake a little bit , even if we don t need it much .

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #17 on: 14. February 2013, 22:15:00 »
I'll join in!

I live in London, England. First started using Linux around June 2012. Began with a hack of Ubuntu 12.04 called "Gnome Shell Remix" (i.e. Unity replaced with Gnome 3.4). After about a month I switched to Mint 13 XFCE with compiz. A lot of my time at this point was spent watching a load of Linux tutorials on youtube by a user called "LinuxSpatry", including his (pre-systemd) "Archbang Bootcamp". My aim at the time was to learn enough to use Archbang and then Arch.

I learned a lot from him. Perhaps most importantly, this included the existence of a little distro called Manjaro 0.8.1 to which he gave a glowing review. Tried it out in a VM, loved it, and consequently joined the forums in September. A bit later, the devs wanted help to write the wiki from the community, so I stepped up (I was learning the system at the time, so thought it would be a good opportunity to help out other newcomers like me at the same time). A few articles later and they asked if I wanted to join the team.

I've tried their patience quite a bit since then - lol  :P

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #18 on: 14. February 2013, 22:18:37 »
a) Baden, very close to the french border.
b) lawyer
c) about every Linux distro out there.

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #19 on: 14. February 2013, 22:21:30 »
Lol , Carl , I checked some Linux Spaltry vids myself also , it was him that triggered my coming to Manjaro after I saw it in Distrowatch , Too bad Linux Spaltry doesn t make his videos anymore .

You learn fast ! Been on Linux since 2008/9 I guess . But only with Ubuntu Netbook Remix first from a friend .then as other ones in here , tried lots of distros to come to Manjaro .

Keep it on .

I guess I should ve put it on my 1st post .
« Last Edit: 14. February 2013, 22:23:39 by altima »

Offline JackOM

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #20 on: 14. February 2013, 22:23:06 »
Very appreciated thread altima.
I'm wondering if could be usefull a section as "Manjaro cafè", a place to keep conversation without spam technical sections as this could also be.

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #21 on: 14. February 2013, 22:25:25 »
True JackOM , that would be great , & put in my other thread , ( How s the Weather By You ) .

But I don t now how to do it . Maybe one of the mods or someone in the know can do it .
« Last Edit: 14. February 2013, 22:28:28 by altima »

Offline JackOM

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #22 on: 14. February 2013, 22:28:01 »
We have to ask in the "Forum discussion" section.

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #23 on: 14. February 2013, 22:28:54 »
That would be great .

Offline JackOM

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #24 on: 14. February 2013, 22:48:22 »
Done.

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #25 on: 15. February 2013, 01:26:21 »
Cool man , a good thing . Thanx .

Offline cesarer

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce and Openbox
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux38-x86
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #26 on: 15. February 2013, 02:01:52 »
I'm 20 yo I'm from El Salvador, I've been Debian and Debian-based distros user since 2008, Manjaro it's the first non-debian-based distro that I use daily, I had installed other distros (as fedora, centos, opensuse...) of course, but Manjaro is the first one that make me said: worth a try!

some statements about me:

why "cesarer"? well...
First name: "César" Second name: "Ernesto" so... CésarErnesto: "cesarer"  :P

I used to be a kde 3.5 user (the first distro I saw was knnopix, so I used to kde), then did'nt like kde4, move to gnome... then didn't like gnome3, move to xfce/lxde (xfce most of the time :P) Is what I love about open source, you always have at least one more alternative  8)

As you may have seen some of my wallpaper, I have to say that a little bit of graphic design is like a hobbie to me :) and as you can see (my avatar) I'm a fan of TLoZ games   ;D

I still have windows installed in my computers :'( damn MSoffice, damn MS SQLserver and damn .NET framework D:

my native language is Spanish and my english is not perfect  :P sorry if I make some grammar/spelling mistakes, not only here, in all the forum ::)
I always have an open tab with google translator because some times I'm not sure of what you are saying  :P I'm trying my best ;D

And last (but no less important) nice to meet you everybody :)

Offline ultima

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #27 on: 15. February 2013, 02:27:14 »
Welcome aboard cesarer , that explains the name . At your age with computers , it s almost natural . At my age , 47, it s not that easy ! lol, I was a truck driver before , lost truck driver licences due to diabetics , so had to do something else (had 9 months doing nothing but healing ) , so fooled around with windows 7 for 3-4 months , maybe less don t remember , had it repaired at a pc store , then had same problem after $150 supposed repaires ( including an Image that the guy told me )  , then had a friend that installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix in 2008/9 , it s the way I went Linux .

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #28 on: 15. February 2013, 09:14:18 »
I am Ringo :D

33 years old. Addicted on my oldish pc :) lives in Belgium,  i use linux since 2006 before was more up and on with windows and linux.
My first CD was from my stephdad an Knoppix(kde).. My internet didnt work, later dont want to have illigal windows so i was stepping in to opensuse, after some fail on my 2th Raid drive i use xubuntu for 2 years, later i used Mint. Then i wanna some rolling, like new versions but not the almost clean install/update... messing up your system :) but after a while a saw  lmde is Dead too ..
i saw in september the Spatry on Youtube, So it gave me some power to try out :) after some switching with lmde and manjaro because lmde was better known in some needs for me in that time i know now the needs for me on manjaro so , now a full manjaroooo :) (since oktober)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #29 on: 15. February 2013, 09:24:26 »
Hmm, perhaps a little more about me then.
Grew up in London, worked in IT for around 20 years, Microsoft qualifications etc. then moved to the Isle of Man 11 years ago (I'm 54 btw, not quite a silver surfer but getting therelol) Tried Linux way back in the 1990's, but decided that life was too short to try and figure out how to get it working and apps installed.
Had always used Windows until about 5 years ago, when I decided I didn't like being told by Microsoft that I had to use their browser. So started looking (again) at Linux.
Tried a few distros on VM, until finding Ubuntu. It all just worked. Started with dual boot with Windows just in case, but didn't use it for 6 months so moved completely to Linux.
Switched to a couple of other .deb based distros but stuck with Ubuntu until Unity  >:( really awful, so went to Xubuntu, and loved the XFCE DE.
Have been trying various others, mainly on VM including Arch, but wanted something that installed and worked easily, but would give scope for learning more about Linux (also was stable which *buntu seems to loose every new release)
Found Manjaro on Distrowatch, tried it and wow, completely blown away by it. Now have it on my laptop as sole distro, still trying to get my head around samba so I can finally get rid of Xubuntu on my desktop. Uphill struggle, but Manjaro has sparked the interest to get it done.
And should anyone wanna pm me, I'll be only too happy to chat  :)
Oh, and finally, a BIG thank you to the dev team.  Manjaro is the distro that is setting the standard for others to follow, it absolutely rocks  :D