Author Topic: How do I access a RS232 serial port in manjaro  (Read 1843 times)

Offline kb41

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
How do I access a RS232 serial port in manjaro
« on: 15. January 2015, 18:23:17 »
I have been using Manjaro for the past few months on an old Dell D630 Latitude. I have enjoyed using it all very flexible and I have been to install everything I need to use like Citrix Receiver and run Cisco packet tracer in wine etc.. I am working on getting my CCNA and my boss gave to old Cisco routers. I tried yesterday to connect to the routers via the serial port but I keep getting an unable to access serial port  error.The laptop has an old school R232 serial port. I know the cable is good because it is brand new and it shows the router in putty and cutecom.  I googled the issue and found that I need to add myself to dialout group. Cool I thought but when I tried that it tells me there's is no such group. So basically I am kind of stuck in that I am not sure what i need to do next. I guess I could try hyperterminal in wine and that might allow me to bypass the permissions issue but other than I'm not sure what I need to do.
« Last Edit: 15. January 2015, 20:32:32 by kb41 »

Offline Strandvaskeren

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Connecting to Cisco Router
« Reply #1 on: 15. January 2015, 19:50:51 »
Unfortunately I don't know how you get manjaro to connect to a serial port, but I'll try to be helpful anyway.

First I think you should change the subject to something along the lines of "How do I access a RS232 serial port in manjaro?".

Secondly you might wan't to tell people that your old Dell D630 Latitude has an old school RS323 serial port on the back and you need to terminal at 9600,n,8,1 into the console port of a cisco router in order to configure the router.

I'm working on my CCNA too, so I can guess what you're trying to do, but to other people it might not be that clear so why not stick to asking about getting a RS232 port to work in manjaro or maybe wine, more people might relate to that.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I've got an ancient Dell laptop too specifically for setting up routers, but I've kept it running windows xp and putty - it's the only thing I use it for so I haven't gotten around to changing the OS.

Offline inkrypted

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 980
  • GPU driver: Latest Non Free
  • Kernel: The latest unless I need to fallback.
Re: Connecting to Cisco Router
« Reply #2 on: 15. January 2015, 20:03:52 »
You could always create the dialout group and add yourself. create the group.
Code: [Select]
groupadd dialout
Then add yourself to it.
Code: [Select]
gpasswd -a [user] dialoutIf you need more information on users and groups.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups

Cutecom has always worked for me in the past and so did Minicom.
Perhaps this will help.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/working_with_the_serial_console
« Last Edit: 15. January 2015, 20:20:05 by inkrypted »
Inkrypted

Offline kb41

• Neuling
Re: How do I access a RS232 serial port in manjaro
« Reply #3 on: 15. January 2015, 20:33:42 »
Thanks for the info. I changed the name of the topic and edited my post. I will try to add the group and post the results.

Offline kb41

• Neuling
« Reply #4 on: 15. January 2015, 21:07:14 »
Thanks inkrypted & Strandvarskeren. I tried creating a dialout but that didn't work. Probably because I didn't use sudo. Anything after looking at the link you posted Inkrypted I found that Manjaro has group for serial pots called uucp. So at first I tried gpasswd -a kb uucp and got permission denied but then I remembered to put the sudo in front  of it and I was added to the group. So I tried cutecom and putty again same thing unable to access serial port. So I restarted the laptop and I could get into the router.

Offline inkrypted

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 980
  • GPU driver: Latest Non Free
  • Kernel: The latest unless I need to fallback.
« Reply #5 on: 15. January 2015, 21:46:36 »
Glad to see you figured it out.  :)
Inkrypted

Offline Strandvaskeren

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #6 on: 28. January 2015, 17:06:14 »
Good to hear that you figured it out, I've bookmarked the thread in case I one day decide to put linux on my old Dell too..

Offline phre4k

• Neuling
    • Arch Extension Project
« Reply #7 on: 30. January 2015, 13:27:11 »
So at first I tried gpasswd -a kb uucp and got permission denied but then I remembered to put the sudo in front  of it and I was added to the group. So I tried cutecom and putty again same thing unable to access serial port. So I restarted the laptop and I could get into the router.
If you add yourself to a group you always have to re-login because your current session is still based on the old group settings.

Offline kb41

• Neuling
« Reply #8 on: 31. January 2015, 14:11:28 »
It's funny because I know you have to reboot for the change to take effect but thought if it could work without rebooting I was going to find out