Author Topic: Manjaroiso and display manager  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Manjaroiso and display manager
« on: 28. December 2014, 16:18:38 »
Hi!

I have some problems setting up lightdm for bspwm respin. It used to work, but this time when I was rebuilding the isos I ran into problems. Lightdm won't start, it keeps trying but it fails and after a few attempts gives up. Same thing with tty. It gives me login prompt but when I log in, it returns just to the prompt.

I had this problem before, but I can't recall how I solved. I probably rebuilt the iso around official openbox profile, but nowadays it seems everything except the openrc profiles have plymouth, which I prefer to avoid.

My bspwm overlay has etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service, which links to /usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service. Removing it solved nothing.

Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this?

Offline ljuba

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Manjaroiso and display manager
« Reply #1 on: 28. December 2014, 20:39:38 »
Answer is quite obvious. Some of your packages overwrites manjaro basic packages (and consequently, also settings).

Unfortunately, "medicine" can not be universal. You should to "guess" what package can be "guilty" and to place correspondent manjaro basic package (from xorg packages) after your package (to be reinstalled). It will (probably) just overwrite "conflict" parts of settings (and will not remove your packages and settings), but it is not sure (you should to try to see).

Offline ljuba

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #2 on: 28. December 2014, 20:46:38 »
Another approach.

1) Make ISO from profile what you used for start point (template).
2) Mount it in Virtualbox.
3) Make batch removal and install of your profile (in terminal).
4) Observe terminal process, comments and outputs (it will tell you where is the conflict).

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #3 on: 29. December 2014, 19:43:46 »
I solved the issue by rebuilding my profile around cinnamon profile. No idea what caused the problem. It seems not to have been any package I have installed, since I made no modifications there and problem vent away.

Offline ljuba

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #4 on: 29. December 2014, 22:32:22 »
I solved the issue by rebuilding my profile around cinnamon profile. No idea what caused the problem. It seems not to have been any package I have installed, since I made no modifications there and problem vent away.

Do you know that your bluetooth will not work ever with cinnamon DE (is it important to you at all)?

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #5 on: 30. December 2014, 14:55:54 »
I did not know, but it is not important to me. Also, I don't use cinnamon but bspwm. I just used cinnamon profile as template, but have different packages and .config files.