Author Topic: Forum New Post result in a Gateway Timeout 504  (Read 17555 times)

Offline thor_20

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I became...
  • Branch: stable - hopefully... :)
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia FX 1800 quadro
  • GPU driver: The proprietry ones...
  • Kernel: 3.18.30-1-MANJARO
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Forum New Post result in a Gateway Timeout 504
« Reply #15 on: 29. March 2015, 10:30:21 »
yea, but...half of the internet is slooooowing doooooownnnnnnn...hehe
Remember the nickname for the Net? World Wide...WAIT...been that way since the nineties LOL
I just post and open a new tab to see the new post.
If it works, dont try to fix it, if it glitches occasionally...tak it in its stride :)
but...dotn mind me :)
I hate contants in source code...they do not reflect real life...
Change...the one constant in the universe...
=^.^=

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #16 on: 08. May 2015, 10:08:25 »
Patience is a virtue.  ;)

...  in 2015 post-modern consumer civilisation???????;D

(i wrote this today ... but it SHOULD have been posted yesterday   ::) )

*just a thought .... if the 504 error may be related to changes made by Firefox (other websites?) .. i wonder if Webkit users have the same issue? ... just considered it,as it seems a new feature of Firefox is wanting to update security ... which im under the impression,is usually the task of package maintainers of the distro you use?

maybe not  ??? http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E504.html
« Last Edit: 08. May 2015, 10:33:01 by withjaro »
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline imneo88

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: ATI Radeon HD6790
« Reply #17 on: 06. July 2015, 19:46:49 »
Gateway timeout 504 shows after clicking post now.. which caused me to go back, click post again, and again.. until I realized it was actually posting every time.. but just not giving that response from the server.

New to this forum.. and already I'm not impressed with Manjaro..
Problems so far:
1) Did not install natively, I had to install Linux Mint first
2) No support for out of American Market TV's using the display adapters HDMI port.. (IE: Display Scaling, Refresh Rate, etc)
3) No support for common WiFi add on cards (Cisco AM10 and the newer Netgear AS6200)
4) Forums "New Topic" button not available at first visit, even after searching the entire forum.
5) Forum crashes after posting "504 Gateway Timeout" causing multiple posts

Offline jakedyas

• Neuling
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: XFCE + Lightdm (0.8.12 installation)
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 5770
  • GPU driver: free (video-ati/radeon)
  • Kernel: 4.0 (64 bit)
« Reply #18 on: 07. July 2015, 10:03:03 »
New to this forum.. and already I'm not impressed with Manjaro..
Problems so far:
1) Did not install natively, I had to install Linux Mint first
2) No support for out of American Market TV's using the display adapters HDMI port.. (IE: Display Scaling, Refresh Rate, etc)
3) No support for common WiFi add on cards (Cisco AM10 and the newer Netgear AS6200)
4) Forums "New Topic" button not available at first visit, even after searching the entire forum.
5) Forum crashes after posting "504 Gateway Timeout" causing multiple posts
hi imneo88,

I understand your frustration. However, I also think that you could be more patient. I know that is difficult for me too if something bugs me.

to your points:
1) You did not have to install Linux Mint first. Perhaps, there really is a bug in the installer that you observed during or after partitioning. However, in this case you are free to manually partition your ssd or harddrive using a live-system and for instance gparted and try to install again.
2) and 3) In some cases, installing and configuring linux can be difficult. Yes, sometimes ndiswrapper is the only way to cope with "exotic" wifihardware. It's preinstalled by default on manjaro. However, it is not fair to blame manjaro or this forum for general linux compatibility problems of your hardware. If you are patient and willing to do some command-line stuff, usually someone in this forum or on irc can help you with your problems. In any case, you have to give people the needed time to answer your questions.
4) I am not sure whether I understand you correctly in this point. However, "new topic" does only appear in one of the subcategories of the forum. choose the one that fits best and use "new topic".
5) The forum posting problem really is a minor issue. You know this issue now and you know that you can post although there is an error message.

Advice based on my personal opinion: If you want a trouble-free manjaro linux, you might want to avoid the kde-edition - as it is currently a mixed environment (kde4/5) with increased probability of bugs - and use xfce instead. If you just want kde you potentially have to cope with some bugs or install a less bleeding-edge kde4-based distro.

jakedyas
« Last Edit: 07. July 2015, 11:36:05 by jakedyas »

Offline Vaude

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4000 (Integrated)
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #19 on: 07. July 2015, 11:12:51 »
hi imneo88,

I understand your frustration. However, I also think that you should be more patient and less aggressive in general in your postings.

However, it is not fair to blame manjaro or this forum for general linux compatibility problems of your hardware.

General advice: If you want a trouble-free manjaro linux, you might want to avoid the kde-edition - as it is currently a mixed environment (kde4/5) with increased probability of bugs - and use xfce instead. If you just want kde you potentially have to cope with some bugs or install a less bleeding-edge kde4-based distro.

Nature of frustration is such that we don't always act what people term "proper". While that is not desirable, bottling one's anger is even more harmful, and expressing it can be healthy when it's not causing any real problems. Tolerating people's frustrations requires character. And sometimes things just need to be "worked out of the system". Some are more prone to anger than others, and whoever we are, we still have to deal with things, however badly or well we do that. When you say that you understand frustration and immediately chastise it, it means that you really don't understand it and are unable to relate to emotions in question. Don't do that.

Expressing anger doesn't necessarily mean that imneo88 is blaming Manjaro or community. He's just looking for resolution.

KDE is very stable. I don't think your opinion regarding its stability is accurate.

Offline jakedyas

• Neuling
« Reply #20 on: 07. July 2015, 12:34:24 »
Hi Vaude,

I edited my last posting. Please see, that I wanted to help, not to offend. KDE - if used properly - can be very stable and the manjaro kde team makes an outstanding job, however, there are some traps for beginners due to the transition to KDE5. So, my opinion is: Give XFCE a try if KDE currently means too much trouble for a person.

imneo88 just registered yesterday, and he already states that he is not impressed with manjaro ... and he partially blaims it to device compatibility problems that are not caused by manjaro. I know how much pain some device problems can cause. However, patience is required. I had to learn that myself. Other communities do not answer at all to postings filled with frustration. Btw, I would not answer to imneo88 if I did not tolerate him or his frustration.

jakedyas

Offline Vaude

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #21 on: 07. July 2015, 13:45:30 »
jakedyas, if by KDE 5 you mean KDE Plasma 5, then there's no need to start using it now - I'm not, and my KDE runs just fine. From what I've gathered, Plasma 5 is stable now, but yes it still might have some unwanted bugs, and doesn't yet have "full" support in some areas.

Indeed, patience is a virtue, and the key to learning. imneo88's attitudes may or may not be well grounded, but people are not perfect. If we consider teaching job, it's not a big trick to coach the most talented kid of the class to success. But to do that with the least able kid in the class... Now that's skill, and teachers need to teach everybody in the class (Please note that I'm not making here any claims about imneo88, I know nothing about him). Of course, it's important to recognize one's own flaws when they arise in order to ideally learn from them and develop. If someone isn't "impressed by Manjaro", even for the wrong reasons, then so what? It's their attitude. I'm personally very impressed with Manjaro, but there's infinite amount of experiences out there. When people take the time and effort to get into something, they usually figure out where they were wrong.

When you say that "other communities do not answer at all to postings filled with frustration", it sounds like an overstatement. Of course, I'm not saying that something like that should be encouraged here, but Manjaro forum is supposed to be open, friendly and welcoming. Sometimes that might take some effort from both parties, those who are looking for help and those are giving it. But little humanity can go a long way.

Anyway, this subject is probably getting a bit more attention from me than what it's worth. Hopefully the issues get sorted out, whatever their cause.

Offline jakedyas

• Neuling
« Reply #22 on: 07. July 2015, 14:43:47 »
jakedyas, if by KDE 5 you mean KDE Plasma 5, then there's no need to start using it now - I'm not, and my KDE runs just fine.
Just for your info ;) Plasma 5 is currently shipped by Manjaro stable 0.8.13. So, newbies are confronted with it. Of course, they could install 0.8.12 with KDE4 ... but this needs to be known first ;)

Offline Vaude

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #23 on: 07. July 2015, 15:40:11 »
Just for your info ;) Plasma 5 is currently shipped by Manjaro stable 0.8.13. So, newbies are confronted with it. Of course, they could install 0.8.12 with KDE4 ... but this needs to be known first ;)

Unless there's some specific reason to go for XFCE, such as old hardware or maybe some ideological reason, I would always recommend KDE for new Manjaro user if stability is concerned. You can verify this by looking at the update announcement threads and see how often there are issues concerning XFCE, and then compare it with reported KDE problems. You'll see that there's often more problems with XFCE, even after the implementation of Plasma 5 in Manjaro.

Offline telephone

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #24 on: 08. July 2015, 06:09:33 »
Exactly, this happens due our forum problem we have. We might fix it in the holiday season

Since there appears to be no effort to fix this, can we have an intermediate solution and replace the default 504 error with a warning to the user?

Design a 504 to say "Due to ongoing forum problems, you've received this error. However your post has been made. There is no need to re-submit your post."

Offline Alley Cat

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Valar Dohaeris
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GT610
  • GPU driver: nvidia
  • Kernel: Linux41-x64
« Reply #25 on: 11. July 2015, 08:29:06 »
For the record, I've had this error twice today.    :(

Offline Uzi

• Neuling
  • Desktop: Gnome 3
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 730
  • GPU driver: Non Free
  • Kernel: Linux 3.16.2 ... 64 bit.
« Reply #26 on: 17. July 2015, 10:31:33 »
I got it today. Also clicking 'Recent Topics' doesn't work either I get 'An error occured - Unable to load the 'main' template.

Offline jpenguin

• Neuling
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 650Ti
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 3.9.11-1-MANJARO X86_64
« Reply #27 on: 21. July 2015, 02:02:26 »
very confusing, double-posted because 504 err, but topic actually posted

Offline c00ter

• Held Mitglied
  • Towelie's cupcake
  • Branch: ☮Olive☮
  • Desktop: Depends©
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400M CPU: Core i7-4510U
  • GPU driver: Intel/Free
  • Kernel: 4.4-lts & 4.5
« Reply #28 on: 21. July 2015, 03:19:42 »
This has been going on forever. Do we really need more "me too!" posts?
“What, me worry?” ― Alfred E. Newman

Manjaro Wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/
Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Pacman Rosetta: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Offline mandog

• Held Mitglied
  • Architect Forum And G+ Forum Owner With Daniel S
  • Branch: All
  • Desktop: Gnome, Mate, E19, Openbox,FLuxbox,Budgie, XFCE openRC,
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: Non Free
  • Kernel: latest
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #29 on: 21. July 2015, 18:02:31 »
This has been going on forever. Do we really need more "me too!" posts?
Yes you are correct I seem to recollect all this started 1year+ ago after the forums were hacked by Ex Manjaro moderators at the time there were just minor insistences that has acted like a virus and has slowly escalated to the  problems we are now getting Manjaro needs a full time web administrator  the current one has been doing his own thing with more important real life projects for over 2 years forgetting that to many users this is real life.
It needs fixing now not at some unknown future date.
A ENGLISHMAN IN PERU
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling,
FANBOY,Taken from the urban dictionary
 A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.