Author Topic: Western Digital Green HD - A fix to stop destroying your drive in Linux  (Read 15145 times)

Offline kertase

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I love manjaro never had a distro that worked this
  • Branch: stable,(testing)
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia gtx780m
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: latest and latest lts
  • Skill: Intermediate
On my laptop I have:
Code: [Select]
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   034   034   000    Old_age   Always       -       671012after
9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       7646
Its quite old (at very least 5 years) so i am surprised that i have only 7646 power_on_hours (but then 7600 hours is a bit less then year) unfortunatly its not a WD drive so I can't use the tool to solve the issue.
« Last Edit: 03. April 2015, 12:51:27 by kertase »
Windows lets you see outside, linux opens doors...
I love manjaro never had a distro that worked this good out of the box.

Offline Seboss666

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Spoon does not exist
    • Le blog de Seboss666
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE 4.14
  • GPU Card: intel GMA4500HD
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 3.14.x 64bit
318 days of theoric uninterrupted work. That's not that bad for 5yo hard drive in a computer. No surprise there.

Offline kertase

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I love manjaro never had a distro that worked this
  • Branch: stable,(testing)
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia gtx780m
  • Kernel: latest and latest lts
And my disk should live 600 000 cycles according to samsung.
« Last Edit: 03. April 2015, 13:26:22 by kertase »
Windows lets you see outside, linux opens doors...
I love manjaro never had a distro that worked this good out of the box.

Offline zenista

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8
  • GPU Card: Intel Integrated
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
Re: Western Digital Green HD - A fix to stop destroying your drive in Linux
« Reply #33 on: 19. December 2015, 09:10:43 »
Thank you very much. When I discovered this, mine had reached 125K+. After applying the fix, I get less than 12 load cycles per hour earlier it used to be around 300 i think. Thanks a lot.

Btw, mine is Western Digital Blue on Acer laptop.
« Last Edit: 19. December 2015, 09:12:22 by zenista »

Offline ConsciousSun

• Neuling
  • Skill: Advanced
Thanks for this, found that the drive was set to 4 seconds and counter was over 300K.

I just got this laptop and one of the first things I noticed was that the drive was acting strange.  This seems to have fixed those issues that I noticed.  The lag, and also the drive is noisy, so may be close to failure, but it is less noisy now.

Offline daogiahieu

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE plasma 5.5.x
  • Kernel: Linux Manjaro kernel 4.1 LTS
  • Skill: Novice
This is mine, is it normal:
[manjaro-kde@kien ~]$ sudo smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep "^193"
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   094   094   000    Old_age   Always       -       12859
[manjaro-kde@kien ~]$ sudo idle3ctl -g /dev/sda
The drive /dev/sda does not seem to be a Western Digital Drive but a ST500LT012-1DG142                       
Use the --force option if you know what you're doing
[manjaro-kde@kien ~]$
I have more than 12000 cycle but it seems that i don't have Western Digital Drive

Offline Skully

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660ti 2gb
  • Kernel: 3.18 x86_64
This is mine, is it normal:
[manjaro-kde@kien ~]$ sudo smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep "^193"
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   094   094   000    Old_age   Always       -       12859
[manjaro-kde@kien ~]$ sudo idle3ctl -g /dev/sda
The drive /dev/sda does not seem to be a Western Digital Drive but a ST500LT012-1DG142                       
Use the --force option if you know what you're doing
[manjaro-kde@kien ~]$
I have more than 12000 cycle but it seems that i don't have Western Digital Drive

Your's is a seagate drive.  Also it depends on how old the drive is.  If it's a few years old that amount isn't so bad. If it's less than a year then it is high.
Since it's not a WD I wouldn't try force the tool to do it.  But
hdparm -B 254 /dev/hdaShould fix yours as someone pointed out earlier in the thread.  This option will need to be redone every time you reboot your computer as it isn't permanent.

Offline daogiahieu

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE plasma 5.5.x
  • Kernel: Linux Manjaro kernel 4.1 LTS
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #37 on: 03. February 2016, 15:43:16 »
Your's is a seagate drive.  Also it depends on how old the drive is.  If it's a few years old that amount isn't so bad. If it's less than a year then it is high.
hdparm -B 254 /dev/hdaShould fix yours as someone pointed out earlier in the thread.  This option will need to be redone every time you reboot your computer as it isn't permanent.
This computer is 2-3 years old, i don't remember :(. So it is normal.
Thank you for advise.

Offline montagdude

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #38 on: 17. February 2016, 19:26:55 »

I have a similar question.  Mine is also a Seagate drive, but the load cycle count is over 90,000 after 3 years and a few months.

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   054   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       92154
The drive /dev/sda does not seem to be a Western Digital Drive but a ST320LT007-9ZV142
The data sheet for my hard drive says 600,000 power on/off cycles, so I guess my number isn't too abnormal after more than three years.  I have TLP enabled on my laptop, and I noticed the following in the config file, which I guess is the same as using the hdparm command:

DISK_APM_LEVEL_ON_AC="254 254"
DISK_APM_LEVEL_ON_BAT="128 128"

So I suppose my question is, should I change it to 254 on battery power as well?

Offline Skully

• Jr. Mitglied
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660ti 2gb
  • Kernel: 3.18 x86_64
« Reply #39 on: 18. February 2016, 02:51:20 »
I have a similar question.  Mine is also a Seagate drive, but the load cycle count is over 90,000 after 3 years and a few months.

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   054   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       92154
The drive /dev/sda does not seem to be a Western Digital Drive but a ST320LT007-9ZV142
The data sheet for my hard drive says 600,000 power on/off cycles, so I guess my number isn't too abnormal after more than three years.  I have TLP enabled on my laptop, and I noticed the following in the config file, which I guess is the same as using the hdparm command:

DISK_APM_LEVEL_ON_AC="254 254"
DISK_APM_LEVEL_ON_BAT="128 128"

So I suppose my question is, should I change it to 254 on battery power as well?

90,000 After 3 years is pretty good.  If your usage stays the same and your drive is good to 600,000 then it would appear you should get another 15 years before this should be an issue.
Probably something completely different will kill the drive before that.  Has it had linux on it the whole 3 years?

So personally I would leave it set as it is.  This will save you battery power.  But I would keep an eye on the count here and there, and make sure it stays in a range that allows it a chance at the life span you would hope for.

Offline montagdude

• Jr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #40 on: 18. February 2016, 04:42:30 »
90,000 After 3 years is pretty good.  If your usage stays the same and your drive is good to 600,000 then it would appear you should get another 15 years before this should be an issue.
Probably something completely different will kill the drive before that.  Has it had linux on it the whole 3 years?

So personally I would leave it set as it is.  This will save you battery power.  But I would keep an eye on the count here and there, and make sure it stays in a range that allows it a chance at the life span you would hope for.
Thanks for the confirmation.  Yes, I've been primarily using Linux on it for the entire time.  I'll keep it the way it is, then.