Author Topic: Am I the only experiencing very slow download times from the mirrors?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline JustAPatsy

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Openbox
  • Kernel: linux312-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Hello,

I live in the United States and have installed the net edition, but when I try to start adding things from the repos I find that I cannot get speeds of more than 5kb/s out of the mirrors, and its often more like bytes per second. I have tried using pacman-mirrors -g to rank the mirrors but they are all slow for me. Various web based internet connection tools are showing that I get downloads speeds from 4-10mb/s on the same machine. Thank you for any input.

Offline PingoDindo

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Arch-Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT218 (340xx)
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: 3.19x (Arch-x86_64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
Did you try rank mirrors as in here?

It could be particular mirror not all in general, I am having usual good speed. Rank mirrors and retry.
Do mark thread solved if done by editing your original post and prepending [Solved] in subject.

My Arch XFCE desktop:
http://pastebin.com/Zbn2xRZj

Offline JustAPatsy

• Neuling
Yes, in my original post I stated that I had ranked the mirrors using the 'pacman-mirrors' command but that all of the mirrors were slow for me. I dusted off my old netbook and found that I get normal speeds from the mirrors. My newer machine, the one that just took about half of an hour to sync its repositories, is a Dell Inspiron 5737 the wireless card is IntelĀ® 7260BGN + BT4.0 [IntelĀ® Wireless-N 7260 BGN + Bluetooth 4.0].

I just had the bright idea to use a wired connection and the download speeds from the mirrors jumped up to around 250k/s. so perhaps its an issue with the driver?

For more context, I am running a fresh installation of manjaro-openbox 8.10. along side ubuntu and windows both of with which I have not experienced issues with the wireless connection being slow.

Offline PingoDindo

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Arch-Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT218 (340xx)
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: 3.19x (Arch-x86_64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
Sorry, skipped you already tried it. Based on what you say seems to be a issue with wi-fi card.

Can you try another kernel? Older or newer, try and see which one gives you best bang of the bandwidth.
Do mark thread solved if done by editing your original post and prepending [Solved] in subject.

My Arch XFCE desktop:
http://pastebin.com/Zbn2xRZj

Offline JustAPatsy

• Neuling
Ok, I did what you are supposed to do after installation and performed a system update with pacman which updated which the kernel from 3.12.20 to 3.12.30. Now I am getting normal download speeds over wi-fi. Thanks.