Author Topic: Bspwm edition announcements  (Read 63897 times)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Bspwm edition announcements
« on: 08. October 2014, 14:48:15 »
Greetings to you all!

Edit:

The newest iso-files can be found here

Or as torrents, here

If you wish to contribute to developement, manjaro-tools profile can be found here: https://github.com/Chrysostomus/manjaro-tools-iso-profiles/tree/master/bspwm
You can also post comments, ideas and criticism in this thread.

Manjaro bspwm-respin is aimed at new users wanting to get to know tiling window managers and at more experienced users looking for new ideas or preset starting point for setting up their own system. It is greatly inspired by manjaro awesome respin by Culinax and showcases some of the many possibilities of bspwm.

The goals of this respin are efficiency in workflow, easy operation with either mouse or keyboard, efficiency in system resource usage and ease of use/discoverability. It is easy and intuitive to control with either keyboard or mouse, once you understand the logic behind it. Many important functions are also available through menus in addition to keycombinations. It is very lightweight, fast, and should not eat up your battery doing something you did not tell it to do. It should also work as a nice rescue system due to the combination of gnome-disks, zsh and mhwd-chroot.

My developing system has a 13" full hd screen, so you may find some of the fonts too big on less than hd resolution screens.

Features:
- thus as a graphical installer
- bspwm and sxhkd configured for ease and efficiency of use
- Uses about 104mb (64bit) on fresh boot in live enviroment.
- manual and hotkey to show keybindings
- many scripts to automate and simplify window management
- lemonbar based panel with staus information from conky-cli, font based icons, many useful menus and network management and volume manipulation
- dmenu based, clickable menus (easy to configure centrally in .dmenurc)
- multihead support (Scripts and configurations for bspwm, xmonad and i3 style multihead behavior)
- only gtk3 and cli apps to keep iso size down
- lightweight midori for browser
- preconfigured ranger and spacefm for file management
- pacli as package manager
- tweaked and wrapped urxvt for terminal (color scheme, zsh, automatic starting of urxvtd if it is not running, normal copy paste and other useful keybindings)
- no display manager, but console login starts bspwm automatically and autologin can be enabled with one click in menu. Other desktops/ window managers can be started by typing in console "x (desktop)", where x is the name of desired interface (gnome, kde, xfce, i3...)
- pulse audio
- bitmap fonts to save resources/battery (no font antialiasing needed)
- tlp/thermald combo to save battery and keep temperature down
- zsh to make terminal easy to use even for beginners
- lxappearance and feh for configuring look
- compton for compositing (configured but disabled by default)
- postinstall script to enable aur support, printing, install applications, switch drivers and configure system
- mhwd-chroot and gnome-disks for rescue operations

Some features of bspwm:
- emwh compliant: there are windows that you don't tile, and bspwm usually knows on its own which windows should float. Docks and panels usually act as they should. You can also set rules for specific apps
- supports xfce4-panel, tint2, lxqt-panel, bmpanel2 and so on.
- resizing gaps between windows on the fly
- can both tile and float windows
- good mouse controls to move and resize windows (similar to awesome wm)
- good combination of manual and automatic tiling.
- windows are controlled through terminal commands, which can be executed through keybindings. Config file is just autostart file for these commands, so it is easy to understand and configure.
- very scriptable
- in active developement
- this gif showcases unique capabilities of bspwm: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/windelicato/dotfiles/master/why_bspwm.gif

These two images showcase the two panels provided.
This is lemonpanel:

And this is limepanel:
« Last Edit: 23. January 2016, 16:38:28 by Chrysostomus »

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
  • Security Chief :P
  • Branch: stable, unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX780/HD3000/AMD8400
  • GPU driver: Nvidia/Intel/Catalyst
  • Kernel: latest stable+lts (64)
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Manjaro Bspwm respin
« Reply #1 on: 08. October 2014, 15:57:20 »
This sounds great - I like the idea of a fully fledged introduction to a tiling WM system.

Regarding some planned features:

- making the panel clickable
- dzen2-applets for panel?
- icons for panel?
- figure out how to make stalonetray stay on right place with different resolutions
- multimonitor support?
- moving to openrc? Making openrc version?
- replacing lightdm with getty and automatic startx on login?
- move from gtk to qt and session management of lxqt? (Need to find qt-replacement for gnome-pie)
- wbar/plank/dockx/docky?
- implement bspwms loop feature (saving window positions)
- dmenu control for nerwork manager?
- dmenu wallpaper chooser?
- better explanations of functions in config files
- autostart the post-install-script (and update it to have correct information)
- move some settings from /etc/profile to ~/.profile to make things more easy to edit

- pacman.conf has local repository repository of AUR packages (/var/cache/localrepo/$arch) that was used to add some apps. This repo is also contained in the iso. It probably causes some issues when updating, and adds to the size of iso. But I don't know how to suppress the repo from pacman.conf of the iso.

panel icons: not sure if necessary if it's set up properly
multimonitor: definitely
openrc: only if there's interest no need to worry about it at this stage
startx: I found it problematic when I had setup a startx autologin, as a modification to the DE/WM could make it a bitch to fix.
dmenu everything: yes - the more things you can control quickly and intuitively by keyboard the better.
session management gtk to qt: I don't think it's worth the effort.
dock: nope - no - make that def no - we didn't even put a dock in xfce whose default config uses a panel dock - you can already launch via menu, an extra panel is up to the user to add if he wants - we're not forcing them with the default config.

BTW: What AUR packages are needed? If it's a reasonable amount (and the packages aren't too big), we could maintain them. The infinality bumdle is already there, so it should just be kept in the pacman config.

Suggestion - set up a text volume control in the panel that responds to the mouse wheel. Maybe also use pulseaudio so that the user has pavucontrol available as well to manage output devices?

Currently xboomx's shortcut somewhat conflicts with the pie-launcher - if it's a wrapper for dmenu and takes all of it's features, make it the default on Mod4+p and leave regular dmenu to a Mod4+Shift+p. Also why Chrome and not Firefox/Chromium from the repos? And why bspwm and bar git and not the ones in the repo?
« Last Edit: 08. October 2014, 16:27:57 by Ayceman »

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #2 on: 08. October 2014, 18:37:26 »
Have to fix that conflict in keybindings. It does not happen to me in virtualbox though. In what way do they conflict (I'm assuming it's super+space for xboomx vs super + alt + space for pie-menu)?
Good point about automatic startx, maybe the decreased memory footprint does not justify the problems created.
Maybe having a dock is not such a good idea. I personally like them, but having one uses a lot of ram and they sometimes act weirdly with bspwm.

Text volume control would be nice, if I can get it to work. That would eliminate need for volwheel in systemtray. If I could figure out how to replace nm-applet with something as easy, I might be able to do away with whole system tray.

I chose chrome over chromium and firefox, because it supports watching netflix through html5 instead of silverlight. This eliminates need for pipelight, and my laptop wont overheat on netflix. I even set up the user agent switcher so that Netflix works completely out of box. Also chromium crashes for me often in youtube, and firefox feels somehow less stable than chrome. So, for personal preference and out of the box functionality. Firefox would have been my second choice, but then I would have needed to include pipelight repos.

I got a bit carried away with AUR packages. I have
numix-themes-archblue and faenza-cupertino-icon-theme, but these could be replaced with adwaita-manjaro-themes ans faenza-green-icon-theme. Which are actually already installed... hmm...
Then I have dmenu-xft-height, which adds configuration options. Nice, but not vital. I have sxiv-rifle, which adds functionality to ranger. The real reason I have this is that I started from manjaroiso profile of culinax =).

Sxhkd-git could really be replaced with the regular version. Same probably goes for xtitle-git and possibly sutils-git, which are required by the panel. I don't know what the real differences are between normal and git versions.

Probably the only really necessary AUR packages might be Bar-git, bspwm-git, termite, vte3-select-text, xboomx and google-chrome-dev. Clickable areas are a quite recent feature in bar, so git version probably has better support for them. Bspwm-git adds option to remove borders on specific windows, and without this feature gnome-pie looks silly. Xboomx is just great, and google-chrome-dev is needed for above mentioned reasons. Termite is just the best terminal I have used, and it requires vte3-select-text. If these could added to manjaro-repos, it would be great. The packages are quite small, except of course for google-chrome-dev.
« Last Edit: 08. October 2014, 18:56:00 by Chrysostomus »

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #3 on: 08. October 2014, 20:20:56 »
The thing is you can leave Firefox as default as Chrome is easily installed. Firefox will get EME Netfix support at some point fairly soon - and the iso that you eventually make as final will be out there for a while - it won't be going anywhere.

The keybindings that conflict are indeed those - and by conflict, I mean that opening the pie-menu will run xboomx as well, possibly depending on what you happen to release first, but I'm not sure - all I know is that it happened. That's why I said relegate the super+p to xboomx and leave dmenu on a less accessible super+shift+p as xboomx should do the same things as dmenu and more.

Regarding bspwm - I noticed that it's only really in the AUR - it was adopted by us at some point so I'll update it to 0.8.9 which should have the border feature that you're talking about. I'll also pull bar-git as an update to bar-aint-recursive, which is in the same situation. Other than that, it's just  termite, vte3-select-text, and xboomx (we are not pulling in Chrome).

Actually sxhkd-git,  xtitle-git, and sutils-git are in the same situation as above as well - I'll take up maintenance.

Currently:

Code: [Select]
### BoxIt memo ###

User alexandru committed following changes:

- unstable community i686:  5 new and 5 removed package(s)
 - unstable community x86_64:  5 new and 5 removed package(s)

-------------- next part --------------
[New Packages]
bar-aint-recursive-20141008-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
bspwm-0.8.9-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
sutils-21-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
sxhkd-0.5.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
xtitle-20-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

[Removed Packages]
bar-aint-recursive-20130227-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
bspwm-0.8.8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
sutils-git-21-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
sxhkd-0.5.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
xtitle-git-14-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
[New Packages]
bar-aint-recursive-20141008-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
bspwm-0.8.9-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
sutils-21-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
sxhkd-0.5.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
xtitle-20-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

[Removed Packages]
bar-aint-recursive-20130227-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
bspwm-0.8.8-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
sutils-git-21-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
sxhkd-0.5.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
xtitle-git-14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

EDIT:

Code: [Select]
[New Packages]
vte3-select-text-0.38.0-4-i686.pkg.tar.xz
xboomx-0.50-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
[New Packages]
vte3-select-text-0.38.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
xboomx-0.50-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

[New Packages]
termite-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
[New Packages]
termite-8-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

[New Packages]
yaourt-gui-manjaro-1.1.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
[New Packages]
yaourt-gui-manjaro-1.1.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
« Last Edit: 08. October 2014, 21:37:23 by Ayceman »

Offline simgin

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: All.
  • Desktop: XFCE+Alpine Linux, Mate+Fedora, Ubuntu Server + Mate and NoX+LinuxBBQ
  • GPU Card: GeForce 8600M & GT 555M 2GB
« Reply #4 on: 08. October 2014, 22:11:34 »
This sounds like  nice project, and I will definately try it out.
Hmm, maybe use Quingy instead of Getty ? And as Ayceman said, no dock please  C:-)
I am very curious to see the end result mate, kudos +1

Cheers
Simon

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #5 on: 09. October 2014, 11:57:43 »
You make valid point about browser, ayceman. While I personally prefer Chrome, Firefox might be more suitable for release once it gets EME netflix support. The postinstall script has already option to install firefox, I could modify it to be able to install Chrome and include .config files for it without the browser itself.

I tried dmenu-network-manager, and it works like a charm. I have planned to change font of the bar to have icons somewhat like this:
http://i.imgur.com/qNqbLGy.png
If I make the network indicator clicable and have it launch dmenu-network-manager in clickable dmenu, it would be excellent replacement for nm-applet in system tray. This combined with scrollable volume indicator would go a long way to replace systemtray altogether. There is still ise for it though, because of gnome-pie and other stuff.

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #6 on: 14. October 2014, 20:41:53 »
UPDATE:

While searching for the way to make clickable workspaces in bar, I came across this github page: https://github.com/tatou-tatou/Themes/blob/master/Stendhal/Panel/README.md
Now I know how to implement the workspaces, and got some other nice ideas for the panel as well.

Same user had also gotten same idea as me about controlling bspwm with mouse via menus, but has implemented the idea much more thoroughly wit mygtkmenu than I have with gnome-pie. https://github.com/tatou-tatou/Themes/blob/master/Mousse/README.md
His script to open the new window where the menu was opened seems particularly nice. I might borrow that for the next release.

Should I replace gnome-pie with mygtkmenu or something similar? The piemenu looks great, and is easily customized by the user, but not using gnome-pie would solve many issues:
1) stalonetray could be left out. It is difficult to place correctly, because different screens have different resolutions, and some panel items may move occasionally.
2) it uses a lot of ram
3) window controls are less than perfect. In default mode, pies cannot be edited, because bspwm is not managing any gnome-pie related windows. In "pie-editing mode" window controls from pie-menu do not function, because all commands are directed at pie-menu itself. Switching between these two modes wastes two slots in the menu and makes it crowded.
4) Pie-menu without out branching slices seems less than ideal for moving windows to different workspaces.
5) without gnome-pie, there would be no need to use bspwm-git over regular bspwm.
« Last Edit: 14. October 2014, 21:58:05 by Chrysostomus »

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #7 on: 14. October 2014, 21:15:08 »
UPDATE:

While searching for the way to make clickable workspaces in bar, I came across this github page: https://github.com/tatou-tatou/Themes/blob/master/Stendhal/Panel/README.md
Now I know how to implement the workspaces, and got some other nice ideas for the panel as well.

Same user had also gotten same idea as me about controlling bspwm with mouse via menus, but has implemented the idea much more thoroughly wit mygtkmenu than I have with gnome-pie. https://github.com/tatou-tatou/Themes/blob/master/Mousse/README.md
His script to open the new window where the menu was opened seems particularly nice. I might borrow that for the next release.

As someone not fond of tiling WMs (learning curve) I must say that looks pretty cool from what i'e seen in the animations & read in the associated text.

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #8 on: 19. October 2014, 13:53:36 »
Should I replace gnome-pie with mygtkmenu or something similar? The piemenu looks great, and is easily customized by the user, but not using gnome-pie would solve many issues:

Yes

5) without gnome-pie, there would be no need to use bspwm-git over regular bspwm.

That's not a factor however, as I rebuilt bspwm with the latest updates in the repos. I also pulled/rebuilt the other dependencies:

bar-aint-recursive
bspwm
sutils
sxhkd
termite
vte3-select-text
xtitle
xboomx

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #9 on: 22. October 2014, 18:54:21 »
It seems that my project has disappeared from sourceforge.net. Perhaps it was too similar to rudylorrens manjaro-bspwm. I'll upload it somewhere else next time. Maybe Dropbox.

Offline d7rk

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: Gnome // Openbox
  • GPU Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller and NVIDIA GF119M [GeForce 610M]
  • GPU driver: nvidia
  • Kernel: 4.4.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #10 on: 23. October 2014, 07:54:02 »
That's strange. Maybe PM Phil or Rob.
Usually the team is very much in favour of community editions so it would really be surprising. At least, if it's the case, they should give you an official reason.
Cheers,

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #11 on: 28. October 2014, 08:22:55 »
It wasn't us... Can you check why it was deleted?

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #12 on: 28. October 2014, 16:21:46 »
I figured it probably wasn't Manjaro team. I wish I could check the reason for deletation, but I am unsure about how to do so. I received no notification of any kind, and now that I tried to check my account from sourceforge.net, it showed that I have no projects to display. Any ideas on how to find out what is going on? Could it be that my account is compromised?

On unrelated note, I'm considering adding another window manager on the iso for backup, since bspwm can be a bit unstable occasionally, and if it crashes,  it fails to delete its socket file (or something), which makes it difficult to log in without deleting said file or rebooting. So having something else too might be nice.

Herbstluftwm seems nice,  because it is conceptually similar (control ei with command, manual tiling, configuration file is just an autostartfile file)to bspwm, just a bit more complex and matter. Wmfs2 on the other hand has great mouse support, good default behavior similar to bspwm. It also sports interested panel with nice configuration options and native system tray. I could configure one or both of them to have similar colorscheme and keybindings and to use same terminal, so that switching between would be painless. Any opinions on this?

Offline d34dkn16h7

• Neuling
  • Desktop: bspwm
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 7670M & Intel HD 4000
  • GPU driver: free for now
  • Kernel: 313 x64
« Reply #13 on: 30. October 2014, 15:49:27 »
I'm really grateful for this, awesome work!

Offline audiosl4ve

• Neuling
  • Linux scrub
  • Desktop: i3-gaps
  • GPU Card: Intel HD
  • Kernel: 64bit 4.1.11
« Reply #14 on: 30. October 2014, 23:38:38 »
looking forward to new version of this. Keep up the good work :)