Author Topic: Common Steam issues + fixes  (Read 13402 times)

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
  • Security Chief :P
  • Branch: stable, unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX780/HD3000/AMD8400
  • GPU driver: Nvidia/Intel/Catalyst
  • Kernel: latest stable+lts (64)
  • Skill: Advanced
Common Steam issues + fixes
« on: 27. August 2014, 22:34:54 »
As of 24.11.2015 steam-manjaro defaults to Steam with the Steam Runtime, and the steam-native package has a Native Library launcher available as well. Steam-manjaro includes all Steam and Steam game fixes that are reasonable to introduce into the package.

Currently I've implemented a setup for Steam in native mode. It should fix the issues by providing alternate lib32-libusb and lib32-libgudev libraries.
If you have an older install and you have issues, please check /etc/environment, and remove any line with STEAM_RUNTIME then reboot. It may have been retained due to a delayed update.

Missing game library:

Steam library folder must be on a filesystem mounted with execute permissions - You probably have a SteamApps instead of a steamapps folder. Create a symbolic link: "ln -s $HOME/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps"

Disable overlay

Some games may require you to disable the Steam overlay to work. Possible examples include GRID Autosport and Universe Sandbox 2. Right click on the game -> properties -> uncheck 'Enable Steam overlay...'

Usual Steam errors:

Library incompatibilities (ex: OpenGLX direct rendering error) - Graphical: run the "Steam (Purge Libraries)" launcher; Command line: run either "steam-clean" or  "find $HOME/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete" - Note: recurrent if runtime updated

Libstdc++ trace errors in games - same solution as above

Non-critical error messages:

Wrong ELF class and others - Same as above

Specific game errors (applicable to all versions):

libcurl.so version error (ex. old version of Witcher 2) - More complicated - download this file and place it in the game's folder. Now edit the launcher - in Steam right-click the game -> Properties -> Set launch options and put "LD_PRELOAD=libcurl.so %command%"

libaudio.so error (ex. Mount and Blade) - Again it requires a certain library file - download this file and place it in your Warband folder - then create a symlink to it at the same location: in the game's folder run "ln -s libaudio.so.2.4 libaudio.so.2"

opencl missing (ex. Universe Sandbox 2) - Install libcl and your GPU's opencl implementation (opencl-nvidia, opencl-nvidia-340xx, opencl-nvidia-304xx, opencl-catalyst, and opencl-mesa for open-source AMD) - then open the game's properties in Steam and disable the steam overlay

Native keyboard layout not working (ex. CS: GO, L4D2) - GUI solution: In Manjaro Settings Manager, go to language and add English (United States) "en_US.UTF8", then apply. Manual solution: edit /etc/locale.gen as root by uncommenting "en_US.UTF8" (removing the "#"), save, then run "sudo locale-gen"

Borderlands pre-sequel sound issues 64-bit - Run "ln -s /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.1 $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/BorderlandsPreSequel/libopenal.so.1" (path may vary depending on your Steam installation - namely the capitalization of steamapps)

Football Manager 2015 fails to start - You'll need a symlink: ' ln -s /usr/lib32/libudev.so "$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2015/libudev.so.0" ' (path may vary depending on your Steam installation - namely the capitalization of steamapps)

Receiver not starting - run "sudo rmmod joydev"

Specific game errors (fixed in the Manjaro implementation - useful info for Arch and others):

libudev.so.0 missing - Install lib32-libudev.so.0 (64-bit) / libudev.so.0 (32-bit)

libSDL missing (ex. Cogs, Solar 2) - Install lib32-sdl (64-bit) / sdl (32-bit)

libtcmalloc_minimal missing (ex. Double Action) - Install lib32-gperftools (64-bit) / gperftools (32-bit)

libwrap missing (ex. Trine 2) - Install lib32-tcp_wrappers (64-bit) / lib32-tcp_wrappers (32-bit)

libSDL2, libSDL2_image missing (ex. Witcher 2, XCOM) - Install lib32-sdl2, lib32-sdl2_image (64-bit) / sdl2, sdl2_image (32-bit)

librtmp missing (ex. Alien Isolation) - Install rtmpdump (64-bit) / lib32-rtmpdump (32-bit)

libnettle.so.4 and libgnutls.so.28 missing (ex. Total War: Attilla) - Install nettle4 and gnutls28

Steam errors when running in System Library mode:

Game can't verify the version of a certain lib32 library - Newer system libraries are incompatible with the game - just run the regular Steam launcher

KDE4 specific theme/tray issue - Install oxygen-gtk2 (32bit) / lib32-oxygen-gtk2 (64bit)

Launcher fails to load with no error indication - Probably developer side issue confusing native for no Steam -  just run the regular Steam launcher

[probably fixed now] Occasional audio glitches/static (Beat Hazard) - The solution is to just run the compatibility launcher

Steam issues when running in Steam Runtime mode:

Right-click tray icon menu is unthemed - A natural consequence of the Steam runtime for various DEs; use the regular native launcher

The no-sound issue:

Just add a symlink: "sudo ln -s /etc/machine-id /var/lib/dbus/machine-id"

For other issues/info, check the Arch wiki as well:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam
« Last Edit: 10. January 2016, 21:56:41 by Ayceman »

Offline raidermax

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: AMD 6570
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.1
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Common Steam issues + fixes
« Reply #1 on: 17. February 2015, 02:45:36 »
Not sure if I am allowed to reply but why did you remove the portion about OpenGLX errors? Did it somehow get fixed? I am referring to this

Code: [Select]
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 && rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 && rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 && rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 &&rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #2 on: 20. February 2015, 14:58:36 »
This isn't supposed to be a posting thread, but if I lock it, it goes to the bottom of the list.

In any case, it's been replaced by a better syntax: find $HOME/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete

Offline athlon

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Gforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 3.18
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #3 on: 12. May 2015, 13:24:32 »
Hello everyone,

Several times, when I start Steam, he just breaks, I tried the steam-clean, but the same thing, I do not know why, but I found for me a solution. Namely, when I run in terminal steramos-session (big picture) and log in to my account after that I move into the terminal and stop it with CTRL + C, . That Steam client (desktop) can be started.

I do not know how this works and why, but it works for me.

Offline Amarildo

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
    • Viagem Astral
  • Branch: None ATM
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: R9 270X
  • GPU driver: 14.12
  • Kernel: Latest Stable
« Reply #4 on: 18. May 2015, 15:48:01 »
This isn't supposed to be a posting thread, but if I lock it, it goes to the bottom of the list

Good day,

If I may suggest, you could "close to approved posts only" this thread, this way you can see what people post (not yet approved content, thus only visible to the staff), and then edit/update your existing posts with the new info. If such system was implemented in this thread, crediting the user who reported the problem-fix would be nice.

Regards,
Amarildo

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #5 on: 25. June 2015, 00:11:41 »
The entire Gaming section is for reporting, actually, and I woudn't like to burden people with post approvals.

Offline Luck of Duck

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GTX-760 2GB
  • Kernel: x86_64
« Reply #6 on: 04. July 2015, 21:51:56 »
My old hardrive died and I had to re-install whole system.

After that the steam-manjaro package did not work at all with me. So I removed that and installed steam-native package and it worked just fine. But now, just about hour ago, steam had crashed - and now it is not working again.

Also - for some reason... I have steam-manjaro package installed again. So I tried removing it and installing steam-native back. It installs steam-manjaro. I use package manager to remove steam-manjaro and install steam-native and what gets installed is the steam-manjaro. I don't get it.

Edit: When I try to run steam it verifies the installation and connects to my account but the actual client wont start.

Running steam from Terminal gives this final input

Running Steam on manjarolinux 0.8.13 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
/home/iiro/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 756:  1913 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH" "$@"
assert_20150704230021_1.dmp[1999]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = no
assert_20150704230021_1.dmp[1999]: error: HTTP response code said error
assert_20150704230021_1.dmp[1999]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20150704230021_1.dmp'', upload no: ''HTTP response code said error''

If that helps in some way
« Last Edit: 04. July 2015, 22:03:10 by Luck of Duck »

Offline Luck of Duck

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GTX-760 2GB
  • Kernel: x86_64
« Reply #7 on: 05. July 2015, 12:56:22 »
The steam to launching condition again - at least I'm apple to download games, have not tried launching them.

long story short, launched from terminal with
STEAM_RUNTIME=1 steam condition. See https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=16449.0 Steam goes up, and launches games just fine it seems.

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #8 on: 08. July 2015, 02:25:22 »
We are well aware of driver issues with system libraries mode. It should default to the Steam runtime now.

Offline holisticboy

• Neuling
    • My blog
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: GNOME
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 760 and Nvidia GX 965M
  • Kernel: 4.1.9
« Reply #9 on: 06. October 2015, 12:50:33 »
We are well aware of driver issues with system libraries mode. It should default to the Steam runtime now.

I recently installed Manjaro 15.09 and encountered the same issue listed here. I was able to fix it by running "STEAM_RUNTIME=1 steam" as suggested.  For some reason it defaulted to STEAM_RUNTIME=0 which caused a segfault (on an Nvidia as well as AMD system).
Desktop PC:
- AMD FX 8350 4ghz 8 Core CPU / 32GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce GTX 760 2GB / 240GB SSD

Laptop:
- Intel i7 5700HQ 3.5ghz / 16GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce GTX 965M 2GB / 480GB M2 SSD

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
« Reply #10 on: 17. December 2015, 19:47:46 »
New updates to the first post.

Offline dimkox

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
    • Магистр 911
  • Desktop: Deepin 16.03
  • GPU Card: Intel® HD Graphics integrated CPU
  • GPU driver: Free Driver
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #11 on: 02. April 2016, 02:53:48 »
steam doesn't unload from RAM when exiting. Is it normal?

Offline Cookiehunter

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX590
  • GPU driver: Proprietary
  • Kernel: 4.4
« Reply #12 on: 08. April 2016, 00:49:18 »
Hiya i just installed Manjaro 16.06 XFCE Pre2 and having problem starting Steam.
Here is the complete text that shows up in terminal. It just shuts down. i tried to add the correct lib driectories to the steam.sh but it changes it back to the original one with each run. Strange it worked fine in 15.12 but not I just updated it and it also doesn`t want to run. Running both Manjaro in Virtual Machine.
Thanks for the answers in advance.

15.12 log: http://dpaste.com/1PQERGE

16.06 log: http://dpaste.com/2JFKKHA
« Last Edit: 08. April 2016, 01:03:04 by Cookiehunter »

Offline Barbarossa

• Neuling
  • Manjaro Linux Rocks
  • Branch: Stable/Unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon, I3
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GF108GLM [Quadro 1000M]
  • GPU driver: Nonfree
  • Kernel: Linux 4.1.9-1-Manjaro x86_64 Laptop Dell Precision M4600 Intel Core i7-2820QM
« Reply #13 on: 03. May 2016, 17:21:09 »
Running Steam on manjarolinux 15.12 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

I can not get Steam to start, please help.

Offline jubileu

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xcfe
« Reply #14 on: 03. May 2016, 21:06:46 »
Running Steam on manjarolinux 15.12 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

I can not get Steam to start, please help.

I had the same issue. This is what I did:

1. Installed these packages:
multilib/lib32-libgudev-steamruntime 175-2
multilib/lib32-libusb-steamruntime 1.0.19-2
alucryd-multilib/steam-libs 1.0.0.52-1
multilib/steam-manjaro 1.0.0.51-4
multilib/steam-native 1.0.0.51-4

2. Ran steam with this command (remove the optirun part if you're not using bumblebee, which is needed for laptops with 2 graphic cards):
LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' optirun steam
3. Also installed libpng12, as it was required to run Dota 2:
community/libpng12 1.2.56-1