Author Topic: Sonar Gnome 2015.2 is out!  (Read 7651 times)

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
Sonar Gnome 2015.2 is out!
« on: 30. July 2014, 20:03:02 »
Sonar is proud to announce Sonar GNU/Linux 2015.2!

Sonar GNU/Linux is an accessible operating system focused on assistive technology. It is focused on being the most accessible operating system available using Free assistive technology. The following is a list of some of the assistive technology offered through Sonar:
  • uses latest Gnome technology
  • a screen reader for blind and low vision people called Orca.
  • a magnification program to help magnify the screen for low vision people.
  • an on-screen keyboard for people who have low motor skills and have difficulty using a keyboard. (The on-screen keyboard can be used with a mouse or trackball to navigate the keyboard on the screen.)
  • a font for people with dyslexia.
This has been a long time coming and it is finally here! A big thanks goes out to Kyle Brouhard for getting this release done. He has put a lot of work into this and it shows.

This is the first release of Sonar being based on Manjaro Linux, which is built off Arch Linux. The Manjaro team has been really great to work with and has helped greatly with the transition from Ubuntu to Manjaro.

Philip Müller, the project leader of Manjaro, has made the move a fantastic experience. Without the help from Philip and his team behind Manjaro, this wouldn’t have gotten off the groud. Sonar would also like to commend the Manjaro development team for making sure they could make everything as accessible as possible.

The Manjaro community is a great example of concerns with accessibility within the Free sofware community. Everyone should follow their lead and make sure that they play their part in assuring that people can access technology once and for all. That is the goal of Sonar the people behind it making this possible.

With Sonar being based off of Manjaro this will assure that Sonar will always be running the latest assistive technology to give our users the best experience.

If you have never tried out Sonar before - what are you waiting for?
Go to the download page and get your copy now!

kind regards
Jonathan Nadeau

Visit Sonar GNU/Linux
« Last Edit: 13. August 2015, 08:01:27 by philm »

Offline pjhalsli

• Held Mitglied
  • Too old to know better - Still too young to care
  • Branch: Arch
  • Desktop: i3 - Awesome
  • Kernel: 3.16.1-1-ARCH
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Sonar Gnome 2014.1 is out!
« Reply #1 on: 30. July 2014, 20:29:26 »
Congrats with the release to everyone involved :)

Some kind words  from Jonathan Nadeau
Please take the time to fill out your profile. This will make it much easier for those who are trying to help you.
If you don't know which skill level - you are a novice :)

Offline sb56637

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #2 on: 31. July 2014, 04:33:30 »
Pretty neat! Very heartwarming to see open source projects tailored to accommodate those with special needs!

And what about the rest of us? Would those looking for a nice Gnome spin of Manjaro be satisfied by Sonar? Is it fairly easy to disable the accessibility features?

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #3 on: 31. July 2014, 04:58:08 »
Another testament as to how  truly great is Manjaro and the community that has grown up around it!  :)
The Manjaro Forum Revised Rules  How to Report Issues Properly   Please Read the Manjaro Wiki

Offline Hadi

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Gnome3.18
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon 6370M
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux-319-x64
« Reply #4 on: 31. July 2014, 10:46:41 »
I'm using sonar. it's great and it's amazing. the fact that you're on latest builds is so good.
it's the best accessible Linux distro. I love it.
Thanks to manjaro team, and to sonar developpers.

And what about the rest of us? Would those looking for a nice Gnome spin of Manjaro be satisfied by Sonar? Is it fairly easy to disable the accessibility features?

I believe if you turn off gnome-orca at start up, and turn off qt accessibility off, and also  disable java accessibility, it'll be a manjaro gnome, though it probably has some packages that you might not use. like pidgin, thunderbird, ... and some more.

Offline ky1e

• Neuling
    • Kyle
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: GNOME 3.12, MATE 1.8
  • Kernel: linux314-x64, linux315-x64
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #5 on: 31. July 2014, 11:52:25 »
I'm Kyle, the lead developer on the Sonar team. Having just seen the link to this thread, I thought I'd drop in and say howdy. I will echo what Jonathan Nadeau said. If not for the Manjaro team, and Phil especially, we wouldn't be where we are with Sonar. I'm very happy to be working with Manjaro, and now that things on the Sonar side have stabilized, (We're not building from unstable anymore) :P, iso releases will probably come more frequently. Yes, I agree it's taken a bit of time to get what we feel is a stable release, but it's been worth every hour of work that has gone into making Manjaro what it is, which is the driving force behind what makes Sonar what it is. I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you all very much!

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #6 on: 01. August 2014, 10:04:36 »
Hi Kyle,
Welcome to the Manjaro community!
We look forward to Sonar users joining us in the forum.
I also sent you a PM.
The Manjaro Forum Revised Rules  How to Report Issues Properly   Please Read the Manjaro Wiki

Offline Strit

• Maintainer
  • Manjaro Torrent Maintainer
    • Strits.dk
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: GTX 760 OC
  • GPU driver: Non-free nvidia 361
  • Kernel: 4.4.8-1-MANJARO
Re: Sonar Gnome 2015.2 is out!
« Reply #7 on: 22. October 2015, 12:33:07 »
Hi guys.
I work with people that have low vision or no vision at all.

Sonar linux is very interesting, I just want to know from any blind people, how good orca is when navigating around in Gnome, and when browsing websites?

Else it seems like a great distro.

Also, how many of the apps are Accessible? Which ones does Orca read, and which ones will it not read?
Desktop PC: Manjaro XFCE 15.12 (stable, kernel 4.4)
Private Laptop: Manjaro Strit 16.03 (unstable, kernel 4.6)
Work Laptop: Manjaro Strit 16.03 (stable, kernel 4.4)
Netbook: Arch Linux XFCE/LXqt (i686, kernel 4.0)

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #8 on: 22. October 2015, 15:11:25 »
I was quite impressed with Sonar ... simply for the clean methodology it uses the Gnome desktop (plus having a mini-obsession with submarines,honed in on my concept heartbeat ;)) ... i intend to investigate the code further,the solid impression intrigued me.
I am not,as yet experiencing any severe sensory deprivation (other than a period of temporary blindness in my youth - which gives me a tiny perspective) ... i do believe modern lifestyles habits create situations where may of us have impaired senses,both physiological and psychological,much of our ability to be aware of ones own body processes,our spatial awareness are like clean water and local services taken for granted ... i believe theres a call,for a sensory trainer in the wider populace.

Sonar's objective is to get to those who have specific needs - so marketing it within health and technology media would be advantageous,i have the pleasure of listening to this guy occasionally http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/01/blind-night-peter-white just a lucid and cordial journalist :) ... a few other routes im aware of are http://www.rnib.org.uk - https://www.sense.org.uk but there will be worldwide similarities.

Really like Sonar :) i have a good instinct for things (which when you havent got the technological expertise to adequately assess matters,is very handy indeed ;)) ... i wish the distribution and developers the future their objectives deserve!
< insert your own inspiring quotation - and smile :) >

Offline Hadi

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Gnome3.18
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon 6370M
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: linux-319-x64
« Reply #9 on: 22. October 2015, 15:40:05 »
Hi guys.
I work with people that have low vision or no vision at all.

Sonar linux is very interesting, I just want to know from any blind people, how good orca is when navigating around in Gnome, and when browsing websites?

Else it seems like a great distro.

Also, how many of the apps are Accessible? Which ones does Orca read, and which ones will it not read?
Orca is a fine screen reader. I have some complaints to make about it, but for a  software that only 4 active users are working on it It's an amazing software. It's very easy to browse websites with Orca and firefox, but If you're a blind user coming from windows It might feel a bit slow at first.

Technically, most apps that  are developed with GTK3 should be mostly accessible to Orca. I'm visually impaired myself, but I'm still a beginner user of linux. Here's the apps that I currently use in my Manjaro setup:
Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, Vlc media player, audacious. (plus the gnome stock apps. the cd burner for example, is very helpful) and gnome-terminal is  pretty accessible.

BTW, Sonar is a very cool distro and development is very stable and active. Currently the new version is being work on which features gnome 3.18. It also have another version that comes with MATE!

Offline Adr1an

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Kudos to the Devs
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Gnome-LightDM
  • GPU Card: AMD/ATI
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 344 LTS
« Reply #10 on: 03. December 2015, 21:42:45 »
Awesome! How you guys find the time for all this baffles me . . .
Win7 & Manjaro Gnome dual boot; 2011 Dell Studio 15; Intel Core i5 M450 @ 2.40GHz × 4; 4GB RAM; AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 series

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #11 on: 03. December 2015, 22:57:12 »
Awesome! How you guys find the time for all this baffles me . . .
Maybe, you or s.o. else with Gnome might help Hadi in this thread? https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=27950.msg239923#msg239923
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline mgundogdu

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Learn and share and be nice with that!
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: AMD/ATI RV710/M92
  • GPU driver: ATİ
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #12 on: 30. December 2015, 13:36:39 »
I learned about Sonar resently. I m a special education teacher and I m working with children have autism. Please consider this group and their families. I m going to try this release. If you interest we discuss about autism or asperger tools on Sonar. Thank you for this great work.
Best regards
Open knowledge is what open data becomes when it’s useful, usable and used.
https://okfn.org/opendata/

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #13 on: 10. January 2016, 14:57:41 »
We are currently working on 2016.1 release ...

Offline withjaro

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: openrc
  • GPU Card: geforce7150/ATIx2300
  • Kernel: linux4xxx-x64
« Reply #14 on: 13. April 2016, 20:50:33 »
Link that maybe of interest to Sonar users http://www.creativehero.es/

also http://www.blastbay.com/