Author Topic: How can i Back up my system?  (Read 26406 times)

Offline taxistacuatroplazas

• Neuling
  • Taxista colabora con la ley
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: desktop->nVidia GTS250; laptop->intel HD4000+nvidia620M
  • GPU driver: non free
  • Kernel: linux3.16-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Re: How can i Back up my system?
« Reply #30 on: 07. December 2014, 18:22:15 »
for my backups I use a NAS running nas4free, a bsd based NAS os, where I can use ZFS. I've got enough options to choose here: rsync, unison, ZFS snapshots...I usually use rsync and/or samba to sync/backup files and folders, but sometimes I need just to sync files between two computers, mostly with diferent OS, and the NAS is not always on, so I'm also looking for a sync/backup solution to use from my manjaro desktop.  I love freefilesync, available at AUR repos, but I still need to implement a service to access my manjaro desktop from other computers and phones, for the times the NAS is not on.  At this point, I'm still trying to choose between samba and openssh

Offline shadow23

• Neuling
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #31 on: 19. December 2014, 14:01:12 »
for BACKUPS i like storebackup because it makes fullbackups but uses symlinks so no duplication of same files...
http://www.nongnu.org/storebackup/en/node2.html

bittorrent sync is closed source so its not free software to be a part of arch repo
« Last Edit: 19. December 2014, 14:35:18 by shadow23 »

Offline AJSlye

• Maintainer
  • Netrunner Rolling Edition moderator / maintainer
  • Branch: Stable / Testing / Unstable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Rolling
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.4.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #32 on: 19. December 2014, 18:03:14 »

Offline ullas

• Neuling
« Reply #33 on: 08. February 2015, 16:56:04 »
The great way to backup any OS is Redo Backup. This is so awesome that it backups any drive and to any place you want to store. Give it a try you won't regret. Its absolutely free and open source.
Link : redobackup.org/

Offline mxx

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Openbox/i3wm
  • Kernel: linux4
« Reply #34 on: 09. February 2015, 07:35:08 »
Hi, Clonezilla sounds not bad but it sounds too complex for what I want to do.
From my understanding it wants me to create a live image which I don't want to do
I read it about it a little but I still don't understand how it works.
In the opening post you say about backing up the system to restore the settings after reinstalling. Creating a live image with Clonezilla and the like is the best way to achieve this. Reasons:

You have user data in the home folder. This is radically distinct from program settings elsewhere in the system directory. You install a program, it goes into the system directory, but the program profile settings are normally in the home folder (user data).

User data is easily backed up by copying. This way, after you reinstall, you can restore your personal program settings from the backup. However, this will not reinstall the programs that are different from the installation image.

You can similarly copy system directories like you do with user data, but this won't install the programs either. The only thing that does is an installation image (ISO).

So, the best way is to make a complete ISO of your entire system, both user data and system directories.

Edit: Clonezilla is precisely meant for this, but ManjaroISO can also be used.
« Last Edit: 09. February 2015, 08:08:02 by mxx »

Offline bsdtux

• Neuling
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: intel
  • GPU driver: intel
  • Kernel: 4.0
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #35 on: 22. February 2015, 05:20:52 »
reading this thread has me thinking now. Maybe I might not be doing the best of backups. I have been just doing
dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/bkups/os_bkup_yyyymmdd.iso bs=1M  but I have never tested the backups. Rsync sounds like that may be a better way to go and just bite the bullet on the full OS restore.

clonezilla was my go to backup but I had it fail on my once during a restore which made me a little cautious but that was one failure out of many successes.

Offline g33zr

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Desktop: Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: the latest
« Reply #36 on: 12. March 2015, 14:08:20 »
After using various backup programs, I think it's high time to learn rsync.

For the most part, deja-dup had worked best among the guis I've tried, but I ran into a problem when I recently installed Manjaro on my iMac: I was unable to restore my home folder and received a long error message that indicated several problems, but I suspect that it boiled down to permissions. In the end, I had to copy and paste my favorite as well as important files into the new home folder.

Meanwhile, I figured out that if I had had logged into deja-dup and did a basic backup first, I could then access the remote HDD and restore my files from the desired backup before I install Manjaro. Live and learn... ::)
OK, so I took the red pill. Now what?

Offline dyfi

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #37 on: 12. March 2015, 17:07:47 »
Qt4-fsarchiver is gui and will backup a running system.

Offline Zileene

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: awesomeWM,Gnome
  • GPU Card: various
  • GPU driver: the one that works
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #38 on: 12. March 2015, 22:07:19 »
...I think it's high time to learn rsync...

I use Grsync. It's a Gtk+ GUI that made rsync make sense for me.  :P
It should help ease you in to learning rsync.

Have Fun! ^-^
Z.
While I may not always have the correct solution, my input could lead you in the right direction...
If you don't know what a command does, then type 'man <command>' or '<command> --help' to find out.

Offline Tactux

• Neuling
  • “Always pass on what you have learned.” - Yoda
  • Branch: Stable or Testing (Depending)
  • Desktop: Xfce, Lxqt and KDE (Depending)
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Gen4 Mobile Integrated GPU
  • GPU driver: Intel ValleyView Gen7 (open source GPU driver)
  • Kernel: Linux 4.3-rc1 (Experimental)
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #39 on: 04. October 2015, 21:46:02 »
Hello,

As a long time Arch Linux user I know how important it is to create a usefull backup, and keep it up to date. Now that I have switched to Manjaro I am glad to share some of my Arch Knowlege with the community. The best way I have backed up my system is by copying the Home directory. This is because with any Linux distro all settings are stored in your home directory, even your program settings like Firefox and Chrome, along with all personal files. In order to do this you will need to run one file manager through the terminal as a root user, and another with standard privileges. to run a root  file manager open up a terminal and type

Code: [Select]
sudo (File-manager_name)
If you use Xfce this will be

Code: [Select]
sudo thunar
as and exaple for kde or any other DE run sudo then the name of either the defult or you preferred file manager; This sould open a file manager with root privliges...It should have a high-vis notification on the file manager that states it is in root.

Now go to your OS dierectories where directorys like bin, usr, and boot are located. Once you find the home directory right click and copy it...or creat an archive (Warning creaing an archive like a .tar will take a long time but save space!)

paste the copy into your external storage device, like USB, SD or, HDD via the terminal with standard privileges; or do the same with the archive but just copy it from the root file manager. If you do not run a root file manager you will not be able to copy the home directory, it will not allow you the premissions and you will reveice a premissions denied error.

Now all you have to do to keep it up to date is re-copy the home directory and replace the old one, if you ever have to reinstall the OS or install another distro with the same DE you can paste the copied home directory into your files and replace the defult one and all you settings and files will transfer over.

Hope this helped, its the easiest way i know of! ;D
« Last Edit: 04. October 2015, 21:54:52 by Tactux »
Best regards --Tactux

Offline pr1vacy

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Former Debian User
  • Branch: Funtoo Testing
  • GPU Card: ATI Mobility 5870
  • GPU driver: Open Source Radeon
  • Kernel: linux41
« Reply #40 on: 06. October 2015, 17:06:41 »
+1 Clonezilla

I boot Clonezilla from a flashdrive.
It backs up my data at 4.7GB per minute.
In under 2 minutes my entire Linux partition is copied.
Anytime I am about to 'tinker' with my OS I run clonezilla, grab a drink, come back and it's done.
I do partition backups since I dual boot. That way I only recover the partition I need if there is a problem...IE...Manjaro or Windows

Full hard drive backup is an option as well.

Restoring is simple. Run Clonezilla, tell it you want to restore a partition or full drive, select the image and go get a drink. An OS that eats up a lot of space like Windows 7 x64 only takes 10 minutes.

This is what I always recommend since it restores EVERYTHING EXACTLY the way it was when you created the image.

With Clonezilla there are no files to select, no worries about if you forgot a folder or some files in your backup...etc. It is simple and it works great!
« Last Edit: 06. October 2015, 17:10:17 by pr1vacy »

Offline Citroen

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable.
  • Desktop: Xfce, what else?
  • GPU Card: Intel Device 22b1
  • GPU driver: free driver
  • Kernel: 4.4LTS- x64
« Reply #41 on: 06. October 2015, 18:28:36 »

Now all you have to do to keep it up to date is re-copy the home directory and replace the old one, if you ever have to reinstall the OS or install another distro with the same DE you can paste the copied home directory into your files and replace the defult one and all you settings and files will transfer over.

Does this really work?
So if I would install, let's say, Xubuntu, I could put the backed up home dir from Manjaro back and everything will work?
What about all your programs that have been installed in the past? Do you have a list of those?
Je kunt vrouwen in twee groepen verdelen… maar ik zou het niet doen.

Herman Finkers.

Offline pr1vacy

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Former Debian User
  • Branch: Funtoo Testing
  • GPU Card: ATI Mobility 5870
  • GPU driver: Open Source Radeon
  • Kernel: linux41
« Reply #42 on: 06. October 2015, 21:28:48 »
Does this really work?
So if I would install, let's say, Xubuntu, I could put the backed up home dir from Manjaro back and everything will work?
What about all your programs that have been installed in the past? Do you have a list of those?

It works about as good as you think it will. Not very good.

Clonezilla my friend. Clonezilla.

Offline Citroen

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable.
  • Desktop: Xfce, what else?
  • GPU Card: Intel Device 22b1
  • GPU driver: free driver
  • Kernel: 4.4LTS- x64
« Reply #43 on: 07. October 2015, 10:43:02 »
I use clonezilla. ;)
Je kunt vrouwen in twee groepen verdelen… maar ik zou het niet doen.

Herman Finkers.

Offline Zileene

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: awesomeWM,Gnome
  • GPU Card: various
  • GPU driver: the one that works
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #44 on: 09. October 2015, 06:07:03 »
Does this really work?

Yes, it would probably work. Some bits might be a bit different, but the data and user settings should all be there.
As for the programs, you install those along the way when you eventually need them. ;)
(if you never use a program that you installed ages ago to try something out, then totally forgot about it, you probably won't miss it on the new system)

Have Fun! ^-^
Z.
While I may not always have the correct solution, my input could lead you in the right direction...
If you don't know what a command does, then type 'man <command>' or '<command> --help' to find out.