Author Topic: Stability vs Security is something you configure  (Read 16909 times)

Offline joshua

• Core Team
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants...
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: KDE / OpenBox
  • GPU Card: AMD A6-3420M
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux310-x86
  • Skill: Guru
Re: Stability vs Security is something you configure
« Reply #30 on: 16. December 2013, 11:23:41 »
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1206886#p1206886
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1205469#p1205469

Quote from: Allan Mcrae
I agree.  Arch sucks.

Well everyone, you saw Allan say it. Time to throw Arch in the corner and find the next project to build Manjaro on.

Why not shoot for debian this go around  ;)?

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #31 on: 16. December 2013, 11:54:18 »
Arch could be Great :) Why not.. Dont need to take it down.  :P

Security vs Stability is an Choice, not all software depend full on security.. Is like whearing an Bulletproof Armor and stand in te middle of an  gun fight :)

is just how you do and how you get.

Security is just what you do and how you live..Those thinks makes people scared and they will mark Manjaro as unsecure. Manjaro vs Debian, debian would be more insecure ?

The art of Manjaro is just bring stability to end user :) To begin could be tuff also..but is all about control the cow. In Manjaro is better to control te cow then in Arch as an new-User..

Security is an fact also how you set things up and how you do :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline joshua

• Core Team
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants...
  • Desktop: KDE / OpenBox
  • GPU Card: AMD A6-3420M
  • Kernel: linux310-x86
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #32 on: 16. December 2013, 11:58:10 »
Arch could be Great :) Why not.. Dont need to take it down.  :P

Security vs Stability is an Choice, not all software depend full on security.. Is like whearing an Bulletproof Armor and stand in te middle of an  gun fight :)

is just how you do and how you get.

Security is just what you do and how you live..Those thinks makes people scared and they will mark Manjaro as unsecure. Manjaro vs Debian, debian would be more insecure ?

The art of Manjaro is just bring stability to end user :) To begin could be tuff also..but is all about control the cow. In Manjaro is better to control te cow then in Arch as an new-User..

Security is an fact also how you set things up and how you do :)

It was a joke Ringo. I was hoping the winky face would cement that  :).

Offline kmb42vt

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • Just Thinkin'
  • Branch: Stable 64-bit
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GT-430
  • GPU driver: NVIDIA 343.36
  • Kernel: 3.16.7.4-1 (Manjaro 0.8.12)
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #33 on: 16. December 2013, 16:19:47 »
Allan McRae is likely the prime dev' at Arch. He knows what he is talking about.

It is understandable when you have volunteered so many hours as a developer at Arch, & you see an upstart like Manjaro that is riding on so much of that work (Allan has been the prime pacman dev' for a number of years now) becoming more popular than Arch, you have a look at the upstart & talk about flaws that you can see.

I'd rather have Allan talking about these flaws than anyone else, because he knows what he is talking about.

I actually agree with you on your points and I don't disagree with what Allan is saying overall. What disagrees with me is the way he goes on about it, so you could very well be right about Manjaro being an "upstart" from his point of view. Still, I spent 30 years in computers, peripherals, R&D...that kind of thing and his approach, shall we say, grates on my professional nerves so to speak. If it was me, I'd be contacting the Manjaro devs directly about these issues I saw, not go about it in a public manner.

The funny thing about all this is that I get the feeling that, despite outward appearances, actually seems to like what Manjaro is doing. After reading some of his comments referenced in some of the other posts in this thread, I'm almost sure of it. Doesn't matter really. If Manjaro is improved by Allan's comments, public or not, then this is a good thing, yes?
Circa 2010, Intel Core2 Quad, 8 GB DDR2, 500 GB 7200 HDD, 1.0 TB 5400 storage HDD, GT 430, all Intel chipset (network, on-board video). Standard BIOS (non-EFI) Mutli-boot set up.

Offline Arup

• Sr. Mitglied
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: no
  • Kernel: 3.13
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #34 on: 26. January 2014, 12:39:27 »
The CentOS team that uses repackaged Red Hat gets their updates after they have been released for RH and the gap is quite significant if we are talking about security issue. Considering that CentOS is the popular choice for many servers worldwide I don't see a severe issue of security lapse happening and in same sense, Manjaro's approach of using tested packages won't cause any either.

Offline CykloTronic86

• Neuling
  • Computer Liebe
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #35 on: 16. March 2016, 20:17:56 »
I run Manjaro on my workstation and Arch in a vm for educational purposes. To me that is the best usage of the two.
I love learning more about operating systems, but I like to do it from a stable OS, so I would never install Arch on my
main system, yet, because I am not informed enough to create a stable, secure install from scratch. With Manjaro I
can apply certain things I learn from within Arch, because of the similarities between the two. With exceptions here and
there, Manjaro has been the most stable OS I have run in a long time. Ubuntu based distro's run like crap on my hardware.
Don't know why yet, but for some reason Manjaro is perfect for my hardware. Everything works and is stable whereas
Ubuntu/mint is highly unstable, with random crashes, halts, everything.