Author Topic: Manjaro NET tutorials?  (Read 12152 times)

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Manjaro NET tutorials?
« Reply #15 on: 27. June 2014, 00:41:15 »
btw, how come it says "novice" on a lot of well edulinuxed people's profiles.
If set above novice, gurus will assume you should know what you are doing and can figure it out for yourself given only cryptic advice.   ;)
The Manjaro Forum Revised Rules  How to Report Issues Properly   Please Read the Manjaro Wiki

Offline Lukimya

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome 3.20x
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4400
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.4.5-1-ARCH
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #16 on: 27. June 2014, 01:25:49 »
There used to be a page in the wiki for net edition too, but i dont seem to find it and if i remember correctly it had more packages pre-installed as these days. Maybe I am dreaming but thats how i remember things :D

Offline darso

• Held Mitglied
  • Keep 'er between the hedges!
  • Branch: OpenRC-Stable
  • Desktop: OpenBox+XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT610
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux43-x64
« Reply #17 on: 27. June 2014, 01:54:44 »
If set above novice, gurus will assume you should know what you are doing and can figure it out for yourself given only cryptic advice.   

That wouldn't do me dicktater, I'd be totally lost lol, thanks for the explanation buddy.

@Lukimya I only needed a bit of info after the fact but that kid in the video showed me how to do it, that's how much of a novice I actually am lol

Cheers,
Darso.
It must be difficult... for those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority.
-G. Massey, Egyptologist.

Linux Counter Reg Number #578558

Offline thundersqueak

• Held Mitglied
  • everyone dies
  • Branch: all of em
  • Desktop: gnome
  • GPU Card: nvidia 9300
  • Kernel: most,if not all
« Reply #18 on: 27. June 2014, 14:01:34 »
we put novice 'cause we are all so humble ;D I put novice 'cause i always see myself as learning even though i've been using linux since the first red hat releases and unix boxes before that(yep i'm THAT old)
"Why is it that every grubby little government i pass has the impertinence to assume that i can spare the time and energy necessary for their destruction?"

Offline myrddin

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GK107M[GEFORCE GT640M]
Re: Manjaro NET tutorials?- wifi problem
« Reply #19 on: 27. June 2014, 15:37:11 »
Hi everyone,
Yeah, I watched "the kid" and as a retired IT manager I'm even more embarassed to have to ask this.. I tried to install Manjaro Net on my laptop, and when it has all finished, after the reboot, I come to the command prompt, and for the life of me, I cannot get my wifi to work, and consequently can do nothing as I have no Internet connection...nmcli identifies the two interfaces "LAN" and "WIFI as disconnected", and I have spent hours trying different things recommended by WIKIs all over the place, and "nada". Can anyone offer some advice..If it is a matter of hooking up my laptop to the router via LAN, and setting up WIFI later, I will be even more embarassed !! Right now I have OpenBox re-installed..
Regards
Richard
Bon Weekend

Offline fassil

• Support Team
  • Branch: stable/unstable
  • Desktop: E19/E20
  • Kernel: Linux314 & 318
« Reply #20 on: 27. June 2014, 16:08:22 »
Aîe,  ;)

Did you try with netctl ?
In Arch wiki
In an other language here

Bonne chance...

Edit: Sorry, there was a missing letter
« Last Edit: 27. June 2014, 22:37:12 by fassil »
"Are you enlightened ?"

Offline Aryvandaar

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Freedom junkie
  • GPU Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB / GeForce GTX 950M 2GB
Re: Manjaro NET tutorials?- wifi problem
« Reply #21 on: 27. June 2014, 21:35:57 »
Hi everyone,
Yeah, I watched "the kid" and as a retired IT manager I'm even more embarassed to have to ask this.. I tried to install Manjaro Net on my laptop, and when it has all finished, after the reboot, I come to the command prompt, and for the life of me, I cannot get my wifi to work, and consequently can do nothing as I have no Internet connection...nmcli identifies the two interfaces "LAN" and "WIFI as disconnected", and I have spent hours trying different things recommended by WIKIs all over the place, and "nada". Can anyone offer some advice..If it is a matter of hooking up my laptop to the router via LAN, and setting up WIFI later, I will be even more embarassed !! Right now I have OpenBox re-installed..
Regards
Richard
Bon Weekend

Code: [Select]
ip link
Gives you the info for your network cards. Find the device name for your wired network card.  If that doesn't give you enough info you can run a command to see the wireless card (then cross check to see which is the wired network card):

iwconfig
Take the device name: (example, the wired network card on my laptop is called enp14s0)

sudo dhcpcd <device name>(Without the <>)

ping -c 3 www.manjaro.org
-c means that it will send a number of packages, in this case 3 packages.

the -f is --force option
u might need this if you change your existing display manager.
For the first display manager, you won't need.

Yeah, my bad. I was looking at the wiki and trying to remember how I did my net install, but I couldn't remember it entirely.
« Last Edit: 27. June 2014, 21:51:07 by Aryvandaar »
"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Desktop: Funtoo / Windows 7
Laptop: ASUS X550JX - Manjaro

Offline darso

• Held Mitglied
  • Keep 'er between the hedges!
  • Branch: OpenRC-Stable
  • Desktop: OpenBox+XFCE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GT610
  • Kernel: linux43-x64
« Reply #22 on: 18. July 2014, 21:46:57 »
Hi guys, just did a net install on my wee fellas system, no problems thanks to all your info  ;)

Thanks people  ;D

Cheers,
Darso.
It must be difficult... for those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority.
-G. Massey, Egyptologist.

Linux Counter Reg Number #578558

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.6
« Reply #23 on: 19. July 2014, 17:20:06 »
the only major drawback with the net install is:

when i boot the net install after i have installed it to real hardware or virtualbox, directly after the grub splash screen (and before i have to login), the system stops to boot and tells me:
please press enter when you want to boot with kernel 3.xx.

this means, it is impossible to switch the computer on and wait until it has fully booted without touching the keyboard.

do you have the same problem?
do you know a solution for this?
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline tuerda

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Herbslutftwm (usually), xfce (on my wife's computer)
« Reply #24 on: 30. August 2015, 07:09:28 »
I did a net install a couple of weeks ago. It was surprisingly easy. Almost disappointingly so, actually. I will run through general impressions and any kind of advice I have for someone else trying this for the first time.

I found that network manager was already installed and running (not the nm-applet gui stuff though, which is good because I don't want its disgusting GTK3 reliant carcass anywhere near my pristine installation). You can just run nmtui to get a pretty good ncurses interface. It is very similar to the GUI.

The install was surprisingly complete. It already had stuff like xorg preinstalled. The one thing I wish it had come with was preconfigured aur access. It's not difficult to get it by installing base-devel and yaourt, but I didn't actually know what the names of the packages were so I had to look it up on the internet. This involved installing a GUI and a web browser, etc. If my GUI and web browser of choice came from the aur (they used to) this would have been a real nuisance.

I really had no issues of any kind.

The process was:
0) I put stuff like my zshrc (bashrc for most people), vimrc, conky configuration files, etc. into dropbox.
1) I booted the live usb.
2) login and password are both manjaro.
3) sudo setup.
4) I followed the instructions.
5) rebooted and logged in again.
6) connected to wifi using nmtui
7) sudo pacman -S herbstluftwm (this is my window manager)
8) sudo pacman -S xterm (the only program I had to install that I uninstalled immediately after I was done. This is because herbstluftwm by default expects you to do everything in an xterm.)
9) startx /bin/herbstluftwm (this command varies slightly depending on your GUI of choice, for instance xfce has a script which is run with startxfce4)
10) opened an xterm and ran sudo pacman -S firefox
11) checked the arch wiki to figure out how to get AUR support.
12) installed base-devel and yaourt
13) installed dropbox so I could get all my config files etc.
14) installed urxvt before loading the config files (otherwise my GUI would again be stuck not able to do anything: I did not yet have the other programs that my config files allowed me to run)
15) put the config files where they belong, reloaded GUI, installed my software of choice, removed xterm.

Stuff I had to look up to get working because It had always just been out of the box before:

*pulseaudio: Super easy. Just install it and add
pulseaudio --start to a startup script somewhere. I considered not installing this at all but my family really wants me to use skype, which depends on it for sound to work.

*libnotify: For those little popup bubble notifications. If you use a full DE most of them come with this ready, but I don't so it wasn't. Just install libnotify and a notification server (my server was dunst). With dunst at least that was it. I installed it and then notify-send worked (minor configuration to dunstrc was required so my notifications were less ugly).

*gtk2 theming and such: I still don't actually know how to get this done with the command line only. I made a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and wrote as instructed in the arch wiki, but it didn't change anything. I ended up installing lxappearance, running it, and immediately uninstalling it. That set up the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file in a way that worked and changes are now behaving as expected . . . no idea what was wrong with what I was doing at first but it works now.

And that's pretty much it. I guess probably for a lot of people something they might want that is often done automatically is a display manager (although for the life of me I have never understood why you would want one. I mean, for newbies sure, but for someone doing a net install getty should be plenty). I did not install a display manager and have no idea how much of a nuisance that might be. I have fiddled with them before on other machines, but never on a net install.

And that about wraps it up. Hopefully this will be helpful for somebody.
« Last Edit: 31. August 2015, 07:43:52 by tuerda »

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.6
« Reply #25 on: 30. August 2015, 12:58:23 »
thanks a lot for your feedback. i am sure it will help someone in the future.

maybe this forum section would be great for a copy of your post with a title "how to install herbstluftwm on top of manjaro net edition" (or similar):
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?board=46.0

i have already expanded my wiki page about installing lxqt from net install with your "nmcli" tip. thanks!

if you want a light-weight yaourt install, please look here on my wiki page:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Minimal_LXQt_installation#Yaourt
it works very well. i always use it.

maybe the installation guide for gpu drivers (without installing manjaro-settings-manager) on the same wiki page can be interesting for you, too.
« Last Edit: 30. August 2015, 13:01:05 by excalibur1234 »
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline tuerda

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Herbslutftwm (usually), xfce (on my wife's computer)
« Reply #26 on: 31. August 2015, 07:42:54 »
i have already expanded my wiki page about installing lxqt from net install with your "nmcli" tip. thanks!

WHOOPS! I didn't mean nmcli, I meant nmtui. I have edited my post now to reflect that. nmcli is the command line interface and you won't be able to get that to work without reading a manpage, but nmtui is the intuitive ncurses interface. Also, thanks for the tips. I will look through your suggestions now.

Offline Zileene

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: awesomeWM,Gnome
  • GPU Card: various
  • GPU driver: the one that works
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #27 on: 28. November 2015, 21:23:29 »
Connecting wifi the nmcli way:
nmcli dev wifishould give you a list of wifi networks in the area, then do
nmcli dev wifi connect mywifirouter password MySuperSecretWifiPasswordto connect.

Have Fun! ^-^
Z.
While I may not always have the correct solution, my input could lead you in the right direction...
If you don't know what a command does, then type 'man <command>' or '<command> --help' to find out.

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
« Reply #28 on: 28. November 2015, 22:37:23 »
Connecting wifi the nmcli way:
nmcli dev wifishould give you a list of wifi networks in the area, then do
nmcli dev wifi connect mywifirouter password MySuperSecretWifiPasswordto connect.

Have Fun! ^-^
Z.

The post you are answering is 3 months old! ;)

I'm sure that someone else will benefit from it though.
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline manjaro-magic

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Gnome, Xfce
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
« Reply #29 on: 16. March 2016, 08:13:54 »
About a week ago I installed Manjaro GNOME on my laptop. Since then everything has been running fine and I am extremely pleased with the distro. A couple of days ago I decided to try the Manjaro NET edition instead. Following tutorials on the Manjaro Wiki I installed Plymouth, GDM, GNOME, printer setup etc as well as base-devel and various apps that I use and had what I thought was a working setup all in about an hour or so.

However, when I boot my NET installed version of Manjaro GNOME, although the Plymouth boot animation is running all I see on screen is what can only be described as 'Egyptian hieroglyphs' until GDM kicks in then everything runs fine visually.

I DID NOT have this problem when booting the full Manjaro install. The same graphic drivers (video-intel, video-vesa) are installed in NET that were installed when I tried the FULL version.

Are there any dependencies/settings I have overlooked in order to get the boot animation to render properly?