Author Topic: Booting with OpenRC: An alternative to systemd  (Read 73485 times)

Offline flippy

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • AKA "day|flip" manjaro irc
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: xmonad & bspwm
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  • GPU driver: Nvida
  • Kernel: Got 64?
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Booting with OpenRC: An alternative to systemd
« Reply #375 on: 12. August 2015, 16:35:42 »
Don't feel like making a new topic so I'll post this here.  :P

This is a more a DE question. But also a theroy.
Are gtk3 DE starting to become more of a issue to used due to GNOME lack of consolekit support? If this is true. I wonder if the same issue will be in qt5. Or all this depend on the developer?

My mind went out to wonderland to much. Maybe being a little to concern to early.

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #376 on: 19. August 2015, 15:53:53 »
@flippy

Yes, right, its basically up to the developers.
I try to answer regarding gnome.
The bottleneck is systemd's logind.
As of now, the is no true equivalent to logind as alternative, but consolekit2 is heading towards implementing kind of logind replacement. Historically, consolekit was the precursor of logind, but logind is for various reasons difficult to replicate.
Consolekit2 is a forked and further developed version of unmaintained consolekit.
So the short answer is, gnome devs decided to remove consolekit support couple of months ago.
Their code doesn't support it any longer afaik. If someone was keen on patching in ck2 support, feel free to do.

Offline bsdtux

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: intel
  • GPU driver: intel
  • Kernel: 4.0
« Reply #377 on: 31. August 2015, 15:35:46 »
I just installed this last night and I am at a loss of words. It was super fast, worked right out of the box. I started converting all my gentoo boxes over to this distro. Again I really appreciate your hard work on the switch from systemd to openrc and giving me a choice of init systems once more.

Not sure what I can do to help but let me know if there is anything I can do.

Offline keikun007

• Neuling
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #378 on: 04. September 2015, 06:59:08 »
just out of curiosity, anybody knows if it'´s possible to use openrc only in ubuntu?

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #379 on: 04. September 2015, 08:13:19 »
just out of curiosity, anybody knows if it'´s possible to use openrc only in ubuntu?

It is certainly possible.

Offline GreenMartian

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #380 on: 26. October 2015, 02:01:44 »
Hey artoo,

Nice work!

Do you plan to be with this spin of Manjaro for a while?

Thanks,
GM

Offline koguma

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #381 on: 11. November 2015, 11:11:41 »
Just wanted to give another shoutout to artoo since the last post is a month ago.  Great job!

This is a really great endeavor.  I also think that once the inevitable disaster strikes with systemd and people bail on it like rats from a sinking ship it'll be great to have good alternatives.

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #382 on: 05. January 2016, 19:24:19 »
I totally forgot to announce, that I integrated a patch in openrc.

With the patch, users will find in /etc/conf.d/modules as new switch.

Code: [Select]
# if openrc should make use of /etc/modules-load.d
# systemd places stuff there
use_modules_load_d=false

This means, openrc will read conf files in /etc/modules-load.d and will write /etc/conf.d/modules at every boot. if set true. So it basically loads modules automatically, that are provided by kernel extra packages
It is deactivated by default, but it should work well except for hybrid cards eventually.
Enthusiasts can test by setting the switch to true, but please report back any errors.
« Last Edit: 05. January 2016, 19:26:15 by artoo »

Offline dxrobertson

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: openrc
  • Desktop: xfce, lxde
« Reply #383 on: 06. January 2016, 23:08:13 »
I totally forgot to announce, that I integrated a patch in openrc.

With the patch, users will find in /etc/conf.d/modules as new switch.

Code: [Select]
# if openrc should make use of /etc/modules-load.d
# systemd places stuff there
use_modules_load_d=false

This means, openrc will read conf files in /etc/modules-load.d and will write /etc/conf.d/modules at every boot. if set true. So it basically loads modules automatically, that are provided by kernel extra packages
It is deactivated by default, but it should work well except for hybrid cards eventually.
Enthusiasts can test by setting the switch to true, but please report back any errors.

This is not working for my b43 module I need to load.  I have blacklisted wl module and "unblacklisted" b43 in /etc/modprobe.d/linux41-broadcom-wl.conf.  In /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf I put b43.  And my /etc/conf.d/modules contains a single line: use_modules_load_d=true.  The /etc/conf.d/modules file is being generated at each boot, copying the old file to  /etc/conf.d/modules.lastboot.

I can load the b43 with modprobe b43 and wifi works fine.

I am using Manjaro OpenRC xfce (The one just created by  aaditya) and my updates are all current.

Offline fdc1b

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm less new than yesterday...
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: OpenRC/Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: ATi X1400 mobile
  • GPU driver: xf86 ati
  • Kernel: Usually the last stable
« Reply #384 on: 07. January 2016, 00:57:14 »
Hi Artoo, I'm using the KDE Openrc version from some days and I'm more than happy, also if I have to tune some aspects. Anyway, some considerations.
First: I did an error voting and I'm using eudev, not udev, a click error; sorry  O:-)

Second: I got some little problems, almost all solved and they are:
1) I'm not able to startup pulseaudio as standard service (I read and tried all the options in the thread about it, but nothing), anyway, I was able to start it with the "Startup and Program" service in System Settings, so no problem, but strange
2) Wine emulation is slower and more CPU crunching than with the standard systemd Manjaro KDE version (I'm till using it as my production OS), and I'm not able to understand why: all look like identical
3) After the installation (KDE minimal the last version) the menu icon wasn't visible, and 2 reboot was needed
4) Plasma 5 seems to be slower to open and close the windows, but I must profile the time better, this is simply an impression
5) The upgrades are aligned with the standard Manjaro upgrade or there is a delay?

Just to inform you, but nothing so terrible and my BEST compliments for the great work!

I'm using a luks crypted disk with btrfs and no problems. In the next days I'll install also all the other programs that usually use and I'll do some deeper tests, but all seems to work fine.

If needed, I may manage some tests, I can install and I'll installa testing environment.

Good works also if its not yet ready for a "standard user", IMHO. I'll try also the xfce version, just cause I'm curious, but I like too much the Plasma environment ;)

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #385 on: 07. January 2016, 12:37:35 »
@dxrobertson, I did modprobe b43 right after installing and had no problems.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline Atsuri

• Neuling
  • Long-time Arch veteran :)
    • Linux Blog
  • Branch: stable / testing
  • Desktop: XFCE / JWM
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 9400M (laptop) / ATI Radeon Xpress 300 (desktop)
  • GPU driver: Mesa / nvidia
  • Kernel: linux 44-x64
« Reply #386 on: 12. January 2016, 07:03:39 »
@dxrobertson, I did modprobe b43 right after installing and had no problems.

I think the recent kernels addressed some issue with the b43 module :). My MacBook 7,1 broadcom 4322 chip suddenly started working out-of-the-box again. Earlier it needed pulling the sta driver from AUR on Arch Linux or installing the module from the main repos here in Manjaro.

On my side I would like to applaud the openRC endeavor for Manjaro. The Gentoo-converted packages work flawlessly and together with the Manjaro/Arch base are how an openRC distro should work, I think - simple dependency resolution with sane syntax and output (hail pacman!) + PKGBUILDs. The only minor problem I had was the openGL provider setter through mhwd (Gentoo uses eselect for that, so there is not much difference, though eselect is somewhat 'canon') and dhcpcd not being enabled through rc-update on startup after install (no internet connection, therefore).

Either way, great job!!! :D
GNU/Linux will prevail! :)

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #387 on: 12. January 2016, 14:06:52 »
@Atsuri, fdc1b

Thx both. :)

The relative slowness may be a result of systemd libs still present on the system.
Most arch packages are compiled with some systemd feature enabled.

Relatively to my gentoo on the same machine, yes, it tends to be a wee bit slower, however, my gentoo packages are also cpu optimized etc..., as opposed to generic arch/manjaro settings.

A long term goal would be to eliminate libsystemd, and to have a systemdless package base, which could also serve to reorganize swapping udev components. Its atm all pretty much libsystemd depend, instead of eg libudev, but this can only be addressed when there is some new needed infrastructure available.
It is nearly impossible to maintain currently a full package set by just one dev.

I am always open to include help to openrc team.  :)
« Last Edit: 12. January 2016, 14:11:39 by artoo »

Offline mrbrklyn

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • NYLXS
    • mrbrklyn
  • Desktop: wmaker
« Reply #388 on: 21. February 2016, 04:54:56 »
@Atsuri, fdc1b

Thx both. :)

The relative slowness may be a result of systemd libs still present on the system.
Most arch packages are compiled with some systemd feature enabled.

Relatively to my gentoo on the same machine, yes, it tends to be a wee bit slower, however, my gentoo packages are also cpu optimized etc..., as opposed to generic arch/manjaro settings.

A long term goal would be to eliminate libsystemd, and to have a systemdless package base, which could also serve to reorganize swapping udev components. Its atm all pretty much libsystemd depend, instead of eg libudev, but this can only be addressed when there is some new needed infrastructure available.
It is nearly impossible to maintain currently a full package set by just one dev.

I am always open to include help to openrc team.  :)

i want to help