Author Topic: pamac - simple graphical package manager for Manjaro Linux  (Read 85454 times)

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Always thinking, always crazy
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.5
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • GPU driver: Free and proprietary, depending on need
  • Kernel: 4.1.13
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: pamac - simple pacman gui for Manjaro Linux
« Reply #285 on: 21. June 2013, 18:11:47 »
I actually see Pacmac as rather weak compared to other package managers I have used.
It lacks a lot of features like the ability to add repos and such.
Its okay but I have seen better, including Ubuntu Software center
Insanity is only a state of mind

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #286 on: 21. June 2013, 18:17:04 »
Need to add repositories is rather a defect of the Debian base.

We are on an Archlinux base, it's not the same.

So far I've *never* needed to add a repository to my Manjaro.
« Last Edit: 21. June 2013, 18:19:14 by Esclapion »
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #287 on: 21. June 2013, 20:04:22 »
Need to add repositories is rather a defect of the Debian base.

We are on an Archlinux base, it's not the same.

So far I've *never* needed to add a repository to my Manjaro.

I wouldn't call the need for extra repositories on Debian a defect, after all its nice to have software that is not in the default repositories.
On some distros i wish there were more ppas and the like, magia for starters.

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
« Reply #288 on: 21. June 2013, 20:09:52 »
I have software that are not in the official repositories or in AUR (very little else), but I've never needed to add a repository. No need of ppas also.

For which you have been in need ?

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #289 on: 21. June 2013, 20:18:00 »
More of things i wanted, I mean its okay to have smaller repositories and all but when you want something it becomes a pain to compile sometimes.
Hopefully there will be a ppa like system who knows.

The thing is that i really dont want to compile software, for some things it takes ages to do and its more of a pain to work with then binaries.
This is why i like debian/ubuntu, so many packagers and maintainers to go to.
No need for compiling and all that nonsense.

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
« Reply #290 on: 21. June 2013, 20:25:35 »
Anyone compiling anything, not necessarily in the same system as you, at the risk of compromising the stability of your machine ?

I do not like at all.

This is not the Archlinux system and pamac can not change it.

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #291 on: 21. June 2013, 20:40:58 »
Well everything is a risk dude, besides I never had too much trouble with precompiled packages on other distros.
My philosophy is that an OS should treat the end user as the end user and not someone who needs to compile code.
Leave coders to do the coding and the rest of us to use the system without the need of it.
I know there are command line junkies and coders out there, I am not one of them.
I am a average joe user in the end.
Sure i can compile stuff if i really wanted it but the point is I should not have to.

Offline gabi12

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: testing/unstable
  • Desktop: manjaro xfce
  • GPU Card: onboard intel HD 4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux4.4.5-1
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #292 on: 21. June 2013, 20:52:47 »
Sorry to say, but why don't you use yaourt then you can get newer versions or use the unstable then you get them quicker. If that not ok then why are you using manjaro at all? Don't blame the manjaro theam for the good work they do with this distro.

This is may thoughts!

Offline Zorglub

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Gnome
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX580
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: 4.2
« Reply #293 on: 21. June 2013, 20:56:07 »
My philosophy is that an OS should treat the end user as the end user and not someone who needs to compile code.
Leave coders to do the coding and the rest of us to use the system without the need of it.
I know there are command line junkies and coders out there, I am not one of them.

sudo yaourt -S packagename

next, you awnser "yes" to two questions.  The process is slightly longer than using precompiled code, but still, yo don't need to be a coder or a command line god to do it.

Seriously, is that really more painfull than adding yet another ppa to an ubuntu based distro and having to watch for compatibility between ppas yourself?  I don't think so, but to each it's own I suppose.

Offline mkennedy150

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: Intel 4000 HD
  • Kernel: linux39-x64
« Reply #294 on: 21. June 2013, 21:06:30 »
If you like the idea of the closed system so much where the end user doesn't need to interact with the system as much maybe you should be using Windows or Mac OS.  The whole idea behind linux is too be open not too make another clone where you have to pay for a license to use your OS instead of owning it.  I'm glad you like ubuntu but arch follows a different philosophy.  Too each his own but I rather have a rolling release then having to reinstall every 6 months unless it's a LTS release.  Every OS has pros and cons but it doesn't make much sense to come too another community and complain about it when you seem too already have your mind set that ubuntu is for you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #295 on: 21. June 2013, 22:21:04 »
Pamac is also still beta.. it getting better and betteR.. before pamac they had pacman-gui made it cause of Gnome-packagekit they liked that package manager. but one trouble was it didnt work well with pacman so pacman-gui came temporarly.

There is no need to scheen repository in pamac. this future will mayby come somewhere else. Manjaro-settings-manager is not fully ready so if there comes a gui to generate pacman-mirrors that should be te place. Manjaro uses only manjaro mirrors , it isnt  so compatible as with arch forum that can get trouble to.

in future im sure pamac can be better. Why take an foreighn packagemanager as standard when you cant controlling it?

yaourt is an service that manjaro come in but i prefer something like pacman or pamac to take it from repo. and yaourt from aur. i dont mix personally..

its looks mayby an clone of packagekit but in time it will improved im sure. the simplicity is just the keyword :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline MadmanRB

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #296 on: 21. June 2013, 23:05:37 »
Sorry to say, but why don't you use yaourt then you can get newer versions or use the unstable then you get them quicker. If that not ok then why are you using manjaro at all? Don't blame the manjaro theam for the good work they do with this distro.

This is may thoughts!

Nono, you misunderstand. I have no issue here with the Manjaro team or anything.
I am just saying that i wish some things didnt require command line thats all.
I am using Manjaro as it interested me and i will go into detail over the next few replies.

sudo yaourt -S packagename

next, you awnser "yes" to two questions.  The process is slightly longer than using precompiled code, but still, yo don't need to be a coder or a command line god to do it.

Seriously, is that really more painfull than adding yet another ppa to an ubuntu based distro and having to watch for compatibility between ppas yourself?  I don't think so, but to each it's own I suppose.

Well yes I can see yaourt is very simple to use, though it does take longer to compile thing then it is to install a binary.
As for PPA's yeah it can be messy if you dont know what you are doing, but there is a drawback to compiling too.
As in the time it can take and all that.
Compiling wine seems very tricky for instance.
But meh yaourt seems okay though I hope to see a gui frontend offered by default for new users.

If you like the idea of the closed system so much where the end user doesn't need to interact with the system as much maybe you should be using Windows or Mac OS.  The whole idea behind linux is too be open not too make another clone where you have to pay for a license to use your OS instead of owning it.  I'm glad you like ubuntu but arch follows a different philosophy.  Too each his own but I rather have a rolling release then having to reinstall every 6 months unless it's a LTS release.  Every OS has pros and cons but it doesn't make much sense to come too another community and complain about it when you seem too already have your mind set that ubuntu is for you.

And now we get to this post.
Ugh if its one thing i cannot stand is elitism, look put it frankly I think responses like this are un called for.
Look I thought the goal of Manjaro was to be an arch distro targeted at BOTH old and new Linux users, after all the mission statement on the main page states:
Manjaro is a user-friendly Linux distribution
Usually when that is stated it means anyone should and could use it if they wanted to.
From hardcore coders to people who barely know what an OS is.
For me user friendly means not having to use the terminal, heck when I used ubuntu I barely touched a terminal and I did fine.
And just because I am average joe user doesnt mean I am stupid and should only use windows or OSX, it just means I want some things to work the way I want them.
For the most part Manjaro has been very easy for me to use, i only touched the terminal a few times and thats fine.
But in the future i think there should be more guis for new users to get what they want.
Linux should not be an elitist group of coders who look down at the rest of us like we are dumb because most of us click on a big blue E to get on the net.
Now me I dont do that, I have used linux for over 6 years and have gotten my head around it pretty well methinks.
But on the same token I barely used command line in that whole time, pretty good record too as most of the distros I have used like ubuntu have very good guis to interact with the system.
Right now Manjaro is still young so I think it will improve on the fronts I think it should.
Less reliance on command line the better I say, this is 2013 not 1993.
Linux is over 10 years old now so it had plenty of time to go away from command line.
For me having to use the terminal seems more of a step back.

Pamac is also still beta.. it getting better and betteR.. before pamac they had pacman-gui made it cause of Gnome-packagekit they liked that package manager. but one trouble was it didnt work well with pacman so pacman-gui came temporarly.

There is no need to scheen repository in pamac. this future will mayby come somewhere else. Manjaro-settings-manager is not fully ready so if there comes a gui to generate pacman-mirrors that should be te place. Manjaro uses only manjaro mirrors , it isnt  so compatible as with arch forum that can get trouble to.

in future im sure pamac can be better. Why take an foreighn packagemanager as standard when you cant controlling it?

yaourt is an service that manjaro come in but i prefer something like pacman or pamac to take it from repo. and yaourt from aur. i dont mix personally..

its looks mayby an clone of packagekit but in time it will improved im sure. the simplicity is just the keyword :)

Yeah i can see pacmac is new, so heres hoping it will improve. :D
« Last Edit: 21. June 2013, 23:10:58 by MadmanRB »

Offline mkennedy150

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: Intel 4000 HD
  • Kernel: linux39-x64
« Reply #297 on: 22. June 2013, 00:07:53 »
I didn't mean for it too sound elitist.  I have used a lot of distros even Ubuntu so I have no problem with your choice that is what Linux is suppose too be about.  Linux would have an easier time with some things if hardware vendors and the likes weren't so closed source.  Problem is the big corporations don't want to give any leeway unless it benefits them financially and since a lot of the software written for Linux is only by a very small team it takes longer.  Ubuntu has moved so fast because it has had money and a large team behind it since the beginning. 

Offline ringo

• Held Mitglied
  • www.manjaro-nl.org
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Branch: unsourced
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: Free*
  • Kernel: linux kernel
« Reply #298 on: 22. June 2013, 00:22:50 »
But by the way this sort of discussion Pease a new topic for this :)
Dutch go the dutch site :)

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
  • Security Chief :P
  • Branch: stable, unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX780/HD3000/AMD8400
  • GPU driver: Nvidia/Intel/Catalyst
  • Kernel: latest stable+lts (64)
« Reply #299 on: 22. June 2013, 22:38:19 »
You could get AURQT to manage aur in a gui (I'm waiting to see if a gtk version pops up). Or PacmanXG for integrated management of both official repos and AUR.