Author Topic: Turbulence - Translate strings for 0.3  (Read 3520 times)

Offline joshua

• Core Team
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants...
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: KDE / OpenBox
  • GPU Card: AMD A6-3420M
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux310-x86
  • Skill: Guru
Turbulence - Translate strings for 0.3
« on: 09. February 2014, 05:54:36 »
Hello everyone,

The Turbulence projects have merged, and there's been some new features added so theres some new strings to translate. I've put alot of new code in that should make it easier for you guys to translate, and make the appearance of Turbulence look even better when you run it in your native language.

So just like before the only thing that shouldn't be translated is program names like firefox, or geany. There's also a new string (#28) that has some HTML in it, but it will be highlighted in blue when you see it. Please don't translate the text that is highlighted in blue on that string, just copy it to the apropriate place in the translation.

Thanks, Dcell

Manjaro Turbulence
« Last Edit: 09. February 2014, 07:48:20 by philm »

Offline oriolfa

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: Openbox
  • GPU Card: nVidia Radeon
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Turbulence - Translate strings for 0.3
« Reply #1 on: 09. February 2014, 09:46:10 »
Catalan translation is done.

Offline tcit

• Neuling
    • tcit.fr
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GT 520M (w/ Bumblebee)
  • Kernel: linux312-x64
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #2 on: 09. February 2014, 10:07:28 »
Hi,
I'm finishing french, but I've seen
to be shaped and moulded in every respect
at string 28.
Shouldn't it be aspect instead ?

Offline oriolfa

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #3 on: 09. February 2014, 10:11:57 »
yes, I've seen that too. I've translated as aspect.

Offline oriolfa

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #4 on: 09. February 2014, 10:16:28 »
dcell, I've got a question about testing.

I'm getting turbulence from git at
Code: [Select]
git clone http://git.manjaro.org/community/turbulence.git
but in translations folder (tr) there is no .ts file for catalan, and also the existing .ts files doesn't match with the translations availabel at transifex for manjaro-turbulence  project. Also, It doesn't work as expected (no theme or wallpaper slides).

Is this the right git project to clone?

Thanks!

Offline tcit

• Neuling
    • tcit.fr
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GT 520M (w/ Bumblebee)
  • Kernel: linux312-x64
« Reply #5 on: 09. February 2014, 10:20:13 »
Another suggestion : You say the user can select packages which he wants to install, but shouldn't it be more like software which he wants ?
Not sure if the new user knows about packages and all this stuff, he just wants software. Moreover, and strictly speaking, the installation of one software can correspond to not just one package.

Or maybe just say "programs" ?

Offline bersil

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
  • GPU driver: nVidia-legacy - non-free driver
  • Kernel: Linux 3.14... x86_64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #6 on: 09. February 2014, 12:06:31 »
Italian and Spanish translations are done  :P

Offline joshua

• Core Team
« Reply #7 on: 09. February 2014, 13:55:53 »
Thank you for your translations so far everyone.

Hi,
I'm finishing french, but I've seen  at string 28.
Shouldn't it be aspect instead ?

It's whichever you prefer or whichever fits better with your language. The American way is respect, but it can be aspect just as well  ;).

dcell, I've got a question about testing.

I'm getting turbulence from git at
git clone http://git.manjaro.org/community/turbulence.git
but in translations folder (tr) there is no .ts file for catalan, and also the existing .ts files doesn't match with the translations availabel at transifex for manjaro-turbulence  project. Also, It doesn't work as expected (no theme or wallpaper slides).

Is this the right git project to clone?

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I should have included instructions for pulling it.

You have the right repository, you'll just need to switch the branch.

git clone http://git.manjaro.org/community/turbulence.git ~/turbulence
cd ~/turbulence
git checkout development

I've already pulled your translations and pushed them to the development branch so is all you need to do is install it.

sudo bash install.sh -r; sudo bash install.sh
Then just run it  ;)

turbulence
Another suggestion : You say the user can select packages which he wants to install, but shouldn't it be more like software which he wants ?
Not sure if the new user knows about packages and all this stuff, he just wants software. Moreover, and strictly speaking, the installation of one software can correspond to not just one package.

Or maybe just say "programs" ?

I'll note that for the next release  ;).
« Last Edit: 09. February 2014, 13:57:43 by dcell »

Offline Ayceman

• Core Team
  • Security Chief :P
  • Branch: stable, unstable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: GTX780/HD3000/AMD8400
  • GPU driver: Nvidia/Intel/Catalyst
  • Kernel: latest stable+lts (64)
« Reply #8 on: 09. February 2014, 16:51:39 »
Looking through the en source, you don't need the comma after 'Here' aywhere.

Offline ansich

• Jr. Mitglied
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux 41
« Reply #9 on: 10. February 2014, 21:23:30 »
There may be some redundancy (pleonasm) in the descriptions in welcome screen:
"Access to the very latest cutting and bleeding edge software".
Bleeding edge software is the newest type of software available (incl., experimental), so using the phrase »to the very latest« is not necessary.
Cutting edge software is the leading software (most sophisticated, best quality, bot not experimental) in some area. So again, »the very latest« is not neccesssary if by cutting edge we mean:
  • the latest stable version of software. If the package were not up-to-date it would be superseeded by another stable version and that  would be the cutting-edge (Libreoffice 3 vs 4)
OR
  • we mean a differentiation between different software (Totem vs. VLC). In that case the phrase »the very latest« would only be partially relevant, since if we have access to bleeding-edge we might as well have access to the very latest stable version as well.
Anyway, I'm translating it, so that it will not give an impression of repetition in my language.

EDIT:
ALSO, dots. When listing the features, the last entry (AUR repo access) has a dot at the end of the line, while the first three don't. Also, all of the items on the list start with a capital letter; perhaps it would be better if all of the features ended with a dot, so that the sentence is complete? I must admit, that I don't really know the English custom on how to write lists (can you always start with a capital letter, do you place dots or whatever). But the format should be consistent. Dost or no dots. Not both.

ALSO, suggestion about the third line of the list:
A '€˜rolling release'€™ development model that provides the most up-to-date system possible without the need to install new versions.
Better would be (since we do have to install new versions of packages, though not of the system itself) something along the lines: A '€˜rolling releaseâ€' development model that provides the most up-to-date system possible without having to completely reinstall your operating system.
(the word system repeats, could be replaced with something different)

Last ALSO: 'straight out of the box' – this is a english-specific idiom. In this context it can probably be translated in teh sense of 'will already offer full functionality after being installed'?

Okay, back to translating :)
« Last Edit: 10. February 2014, 21:43:28 by ansich »

Offline ansich

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #10 on: 10. February 2014, 22:43:48 »
Slovenian translation done.

Offline joshua

• Core Team
« Reply #11 on: 11. February 2014, 04:38:46 »
Wow, thank you for the translations everyone! This is the most that we've gotten so far  :D.

There may be some redundancy (pleonasm) in the descriptions in welcome screen:
"Access to the very latest cutting and bleeding edge software".
Bleeding edge software is the newest type of software available (incl., experimental), so using the phrase »to the very latest« is not necessary.
Cutting edge software is the leading software (most sophisticated, best quality, bot not experimental) in some area. So again, »the very latest« is not neccesssary if by cutting edge we mean:
  • the latest stable version of software. If the package were not up-to-date it would be superseeded by another stable version and that  would be the cutting-edge (Libreoffice 3 vs 4)
OR
  • we mean a differentiation between different software (Totem vs. VLC). In that case the phrase »the very latest« would only be partially relevant, since if we have access to bleeding-edge we might as well have access to the very latest stable version as well.
Anyway, I'm translating it, so that it will not give an impression of repetition in my language.

EDIT:
ALSO, dots. When listing the features, the last entry (AUR repo access) has a dot at the end of the line, while the first three don't. Also, all of the items on the list start with a capital letter; perhaps it would be better if all of the features ended with a dot, so that the sentence is complete? I must admit, that I don't really know the English custom on how to write lists (can you always start with a capital letter, do you place dots or whatever). But the format should be consistent. Dost or no dots. Not both.

ALSO, suggestion about the third line of the list:
A '€˜rolling release'€™ development model that provides the most up-to-date system possible without the need to install new versions.
Better would be (since we do have to install new versions of packages, though not of the system itself) something along the lines: A '€˜rolling releaseâ€' development model that provides the most up-to-date system possible without having to completely reinstall your operating system.
(the word system repeats, could be replaced with something different)

Last ALSO: 'straight out of the box' – this is a english-specific idiom. In this context it can probably be translated in teh sense of 'will already offer full functionality after being installed'?

Okay, back to translating :)

Thank you for the recommendations, I agree with all of these. To be honest with you I got most of the information pretty much 1:1 from the about page on Manjaro.org typos and all  ;). You're right on the list part, I hadn't noticed that before.

I'll fix all of these in the next release, there's not enough time to do it in this release  ;).

Offline ansich

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #12 on: 11. February 2014, 10:43:56 »
No problem, glad to help. Be advised though, that english isn't my first language, so perhaps I am wrong about the dots issue: when I thought about it this morning it did maker sense in a way to put the dot at the last line. I think that someone whose vernacualr is English might be in a better position to elaborate.
I think that there are also too many commas in there – in English they seem to be more rare and less necessary than in some other languages.

Thanks a lot for the effort you're putting in this!

Offline joshua

• Core Team
« Reply #13 on: 11. February 2014, 20:15:06 »
No problem, glad to help. Be advised though, that english isn't my first language, so perhaps I am wrong about the dots issue: when I thought about it this morning it did maker sense in a way to put the dot at the last line. I think that someone whose vernacualr is English might be in a better position to elaborate.
I think that there are also too many commas in there – in English they seem to be more rare and less necessary than in some other languages.

Thanks a lot for the effort you're putting in this!

I'm fairly certain you're right about the periods on the lists, I almost always do it your way but seem to have just neglected in that case. I also believe you to be correct about the commas, I have a tendency of adding more of them than required  :D. Just a bad habit I guess  ;).

Thank you for all of your input, I'll be sure to put it to life in the next release .
« Last Edit: 11. February 2014, 20:18:13 by dcell »

Offline RacerBG

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Lost in translation!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Kernel: linux41-x86
« Reply #14 on: 13. February 2014, 15:11:44 »
Bulgarian translation done! :)
Manjaro Linux Bulgarian Translator