Author Topic: Unable to boot after installation in Gnome/Cinnamon edition  (Read 2675 times)

Offline myddwyr

• Neuling
Unable to boot after installation in Gnome/Cinnamon edition
« on: 19. September 2012, 19:54:43 »
Hi! First of all I would like to thank all the staff member 'cause this awesome arch-based distro. Seriously, it's a great alternative for Ubuntu users (or other Debian' ones).

The case is that after installing Manjaro 0.8.0 Gnome/Cinnamon Edition in my tower the first boot is perflectly and everything runs ok, but when I use pacman to install some packages or I upgrade, after rebooting again there's a message telling me, in my language, that "Loading Linux kernel blablabla... Running ramdisk initial blabla..." and then, mec: "error: first you have the load the kernel. Press any key to continue" (which take me back to the grub).

What could be the problem? I've been looking for the forum for the same problem, and I should say that before the Gnome Edition I has the KDE one, and it ruled fantasticaly since I upgraded (then the same error told above appeared). When I saw the problems with the test-repositories I though it probably would be 'cause of that, but theorically this problem is already solved. Well, I've reinstalled it three times and always takes me the same issue. Could you please help me about that?

Thanks you for the help and sorry if the problem where somewhere in the forum!

Offline JamesBannon

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Sanity is over-rated
Re: Unable to boot after installation in Gnome/Cinnamon edition
« Reply #1 on: 20. September 2012, 00:01:41 »
Did mkinitcpio fail? Look in /boot for the kernel. If it isn't there, mkinitcpio failed.

Offline myddwyr

• Neuling
« Reply #2 on: 20. September 2012, 11:02:34 »
The case is that after the error shows up I'm not able to do anything else but pressing any key to get back to grub. However, how could I do what you are saying? Thx!

Offline JamesBannon

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Sanity is over-rated
« Reply #3 on: 20. September 2012, 11:42:44 »
Sorry. You need to boot from the installation CD. Once in, open the terminal and mount whatever /boot was somewhere. Something like this:

Code: [Select]
sudo mkdir /mnt/boot
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

You may have to change the file system type (ext4) and the device name (/dev/sda1) depending on what you set on installation. If you're not sure or can't remember, then

sudo fdisk -l

Should tell you what you want to know.

Once you have the boot partition mounted, just use

sudo ls -l /mnt/boot

And look for initrd and vmlinuz. If you can't find either, then mkinitcpio failed during the installation.

The problem can, usually, be fixed by running the install again from scratch. Look for things like the extraction and mkinitcpio processes flashing past too quickly and jumping back to the prompt. If these things happen, then that's a sign of failure in spite of the fact the script reports success. (I speak from experience here  ;D).

ETA: If you get a failure, just try again from scratch. Eventually the system will install.
« Last Edit: 20. September 2012, 11:46:02 by JamesBannon »

Offline myddwyr

• Neuling
« Reply #4 on: 20. September 2012, 14:26:42 »
I'll follow your steps in a while. But I decided to confirm that the updates had something to do or not with the issues by upgrading my laptop (which has Manjaro 0.8.0 Gnome/Cinnamon). It, after reboot, took me with the same issue: Error: you have to load the kernel first. Press any key to continue. Thx for your support, I'll will write down the results of the tips!

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #5 on: 20. September 2012, 15:12:15 »
Could you try the new upcoming 0.8.1 release please. We have fixed a lot of issues and I think this system has improved a lot.

Offline myddwyr

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 20. September 2012, 16:52:47 »
Sure! How much time does left until the release?

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #7 on: 20. September 2012, 17:08:12 »
A few hours :D However we will release only the XFCE version. KDE and Gnome will follow, but this could take some time.

Edit: Sorry. We need some more hours. Found a last bug...
« Last Edit: 20. September 2012, 18:17:14 by roland »

Offline myddwyr

• Neuling
« Reply #8 on: 20. September 2012, 18:28:58 »
Patience in the Linux world is a one necessary value xD.

Anyway, thx for helping, probably I'll wait to the Manjaro 0.8.1 release and see if the issue carries on or not. So, if someone has had the same issue and has a solution or something, it would be awesome to write it down this post. So, awaiting! :D

Offline JamesBannon

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Sanity is over-rated
« Reply #9 on: 20. September 2012, 21:04:00 »
I'll follow your steps in a while. But I decided to confirm that the updates had something to do or not with the issues by upgrading my laptop (which has Manjaro 0.8.0 Gnome/Cinnamon). It, after reboot, took me with the same issue: Error: you have to load the kernel first. Press any key to continue. Thx for your support, I'll will write down the results of the tips!
Ah! That might be because of the way you partitioned the disks. There are two possibilities here as far as I can see:
a) You didn't allocate sufficient space to /boot. Pacman might have run out of space and scribbled over the remains of what was there during the update. 128MB should be sufficient (100MB is the recommended minimum).
b) You used cfdisk to partition the disks. According to the ArchWiki site, grub2 has a problem with the way cfdisk creates partitions. The problem appears to be that cfdisk starts the first partion on block 68 rather than on 2048. Grub2 can't deal with that, though the old grub could. The ArchWiki recommends using gparted to partition the disks before running the install. This is installed on the LiveCD under System Tools. Coincidentally, this cured problems I was having previously with my external disk reporting errors.

ETA: When the install starts and asks you to partition the disks, then choose the custom option. When the partition prompt comes up, just choose 'done' and proceed to choosing the mount points. If you've formatted the disks with gparted, then you don't need to format again before mounting.

ETTA: When partitioning using gparted, make sure the partition table type is set to msdos rather than GPT. The automated install script can't deal with the latter. If you do choose GPT, then you have to install grub manually (choose not to install grub when the configuration is completed then install from a terminal). The ArchWiki has instructions on how to do this, but to be honest it's not really worth the effort unless you have special requirements. The same thing goes for lvm2, dmraid and other "exotica".
« Last Edit: 20. September 2012, 21:18:41 by JamesBannon »

Offline myddwyr

• Neuling
« Reply #10 on: 20. September 2012, 22:10:54 »
I see James, could it be 'cause it is an extended partition? I had to do an extended partition with the KDE partitioner and everything went fine. I did make enough space from both swap and boot partitions (boot=30gb aprox.; swap=6gb). So, would it be 'cause it is an extended partition that it fails when upgrading with the new kernels 'cause a grub2 issue? In that case, reinstall the grub2 will solve the problem?

I'll try to follow your new steps and I'll use Gparted under the instructions you gave me. Again, thx you for the help, I'm an user that uses GNU/Linux since Ubuntu 6.04, but I'm not an advanced  ::). So, I'll do that and I'll tell you the results. Thanks again!

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #11 on: 21. September 2012, 06:57:24 »
0.8.1 XFCE LiveCD is now available!

@JamesBannon: I now that cfdisk makes some problems. CParted wasn't stable enough and I hope this problem is fixed in our GUI installer :)

Offline JamesBannon

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Sanity is over-rated
« Reply #12 on: 21. September 2012, 07:49:29 »
I see James, could it be 'cause it is an extended partition? I had to do an extended partition with the KDE partitioner and everything went fine. I did make enough space from both swap and boot partitions (boot=30gb aprox.; swap=6gb). So, would it be 'cause it is an extended partition that it fails when upgrading with the new kernels 'cause a grub2 issue? In that case, reinstall the grub2 will solve the problem?

I'll try to follow your new steps and I'll use Gparted under the instructions you gave me. Again, thx you for the help, I'm an user that uses GNU/Linux since Ubuntu 6.04, but I'm not an advanced  ::). So, I'll do that and I'll tell you the results. Thanks again!
This is now getting a little bit more complicated. Are you saying you have a dual boot configuration? If so, then you shouldn't be installing grub from the installation CD. That's almost certainly going to cause a screw-up somewhere. What you should do instead is configure the existing grub (or whatever boot loader you happen to be using) to reference the Manjaro boot partition wherever it is, so that you get the choice on start-up. Unfortunately, I've never configured a dual boot machine before, so I can't offer any more meaningful advice other than to read the ArchWiki carefully. If you're dual booting from Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu Wiki has instructions on how to configure Grub properly.
[Aside: I used to use Ubuntu, but abandoned it after what they did to the interface. I don't use the "standard" GNOME shell for the same reason. I've no idea why the developers foisted such horrors on an undeserving community. I then used Linux Mint for a while because they offered Cinnamon, but abandoned that after running into dependency issues. That's the reason I ended up @ Manjaro. It seems to offer what I want in terms of a desktop I can live with.]
In the meantime, I wish you luck. I'm off to reconfigure my machine as I've just noticed a problem that might bite me in the future.

Offline JamesBannon

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Sanity is over-rated
« Reply #13 on: 21. September 2012, 07:55:23 »
0.8.1 XFCE LiveCD is now available!

@JamesBannon: I now that cfdisk makes some problems. CParted wasn't stable enough and I hope this problem is fixed in our GUI installer :)
No criticism intended, Roland. As a matter of fact, I only found out about the issues with cfdisk / Grub2 a few days ago while browsing the Arch Wiki. It would be nice to have an updated GNOME / Cinnamon build (I can't get on with Xfce or KDE), but it's not a huge issue. The current installer is a bit quirky, but it works well enough.

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #14 on: 22. September 2012, 02:52:22 »
:) currently I can't change anything with cfdisk. I will work on the Gnome release with Guillaume. The problem is my upload speed of 40kb/s. It just takes hours...

In the meantime, I wish you luck. I'm off to reconfigure my machine as I've just noticed a problem that might bite me in the future.
I hope you succeed!