Author Topic: Strange lightdm after update  (Read 1093 times)

Offline seregon

• Neuling
Strange lightdm after update
« on: 13. September 2012, 13:11:38 »
I installed all the latest updates last night before going to bed, and everything looked OK. When I turned my computer on this morning, however, I was greeted after boot with a blank black X screen instead of my display manager! After some poking around in the system logs, I discovered the "greeter" was exiting abnormally. I tried reinstalling it to no avail, so I reinstalled lightdm (I'm using Manjaro-XFCE), and I saw that according to the message at the end of the install script that lightdm-gtk-greeter is recommended. For some reason on my system I had lightdm-unity-greeter (not something I have customized), and the fix was to uninstall that and replace it with lightdm-gtk-greeter. The greeter looks totally different than it did, so I'm guessing I definitely had the Unity one working before. Any ideas?

(PS - I'm just reporting the problem to the community and trying to understand it. I already fixed it and my box is working fine again.)

Offline Yoyo

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • Deb Linux
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Intel HD Graphics 2500, Nvidia Geforce GO 7300
  • GPU driver: free, non-free
  • Kernel: linux319 (x86_64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Strange lightdm after update
« Reply #1 on: 13. September 2012, 15:30:20 »

Offline seregon

• Neuling
Re: Strange lightdm after update
« Reply #2 on: 14. September 2012, 00:26:42 »
Admittedly, I saw that a little too late, but that didn't turn out to be the fix. If that was the issue, I'm not sure how it really affected anything. I know lightdm was starting, because while I was testing I was calling /usr/sbin/lightdm (which is all the systemd service does) and getting the same result.

Edit (clarity): I realize I didn't say anything about that in my original post. To clarify, I did discover that as I was troubleshooting the problem and applied it. However, that did not resolve the issue. As stated above, I resolved my issue by replacing lightdm-unity-greeter with lightdm-gtk-greeter. Now that everything is working, I'm going to try switching back to unity just for s&g. I'll post the results here.

Edit 2: Switching back to unity (temporarily) exactly reversed what had happened. The system booted into a blank X screen. Reversing the process had the same results as well: the system booted up properly and I was able to log in to XFCE. When I was on Arch, I used SLiM and did not use Plymouth, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot these packages right now. It's possible this is related to my failure to apply that fix, but I doubt it, since I have applied it now and my problem still lies with unity (which I had installed originally by default).
« Last Edit: 14. September 2012, 00:39:13 by seregon »