Author Topic: What packages do you miss most in Manjaro XFCE 0.8.0?  (Read 6320 times)

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
  • Skill: Novice
Re: What packages do you miss most in Manjaro XFCE 0.8.0?
« Reply #30 on: 13. September 2012, 22:12:35 »
Don´t get me wrong though. I can live pretty good with a distro with a DVD-distro (although i prefer to build my system myself provided it works ootb but that´s just me). What i really dislike (and it seams that i´m not that alone) is that "hey, it fits a DVD anyway, let´s bundle lots of software and really fill that DVD"-approach.  I mean: I just don´t want software on my system i don´t ever use. Even if i have plenty of space. So i remove it, which is often harder than to install the same software. That´s all.

Offline viking

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Intel HD3000
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: Whichever is the latest
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #31 on: 14. September 2012, 11:51:38 »
Don´t get me wrong though. I can live pretty good with a distro with a DVD-distro (although i prefer to build my system myself provided it works ootb but that´s just me). What i really dislike (and it seams that i´m not that alone) is that "hey, it fits a DVD anyway, let´s bundle lots of software and really fill that DVD"-approach.  I mean: I just don´t want software on my system i don´t ever use. Even if i have plenty of space. So i remove it, which is often harder than to install the same software. That´s all.

Ok, I see where you are coming from. My situation is slightly different in that if I see a distro that only comes on a dvd I very rarely install it. About half the year I am on mobile broadband, and a dvd based distro either uses up 3 weeks of my monthly allowance, or if I downloaded it outside of my monthly allowance would cost me something like 150 to 200 euros depending on the size. This kind of restriction is a reality for very many people (worldwide, probably the majority) and it is why I feel strongly that there should always be a cd based option on all distros (and why cloud distros make me laugh so much! ), although as philm mentioned a net install would probably cover that base (having said that I can't find one for Manjaro anywhere, but I don't need it, I already got the cd edition whilst it was still available  :) ).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 laptop. Intel i5 processor, 16Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi, Mint17, Ubuntu1404, Manjaro, all Xfce4.

Offline eskaini

• Security Team
  • I eat deleted accounts
« Reply #32 on: 18. September 2012, 22:18:46 »
Me too, and i made a backup- just in case.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #33 on: 20. September 2012, 22:23:20 »
... although as philm mentioned a net install would probably cover that base (having said that I can't find one for Manjaro anywhere, but I don't need it, I already got the cd edition whilst it was still available  :) ).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarodev/files/testbuild/net/

Offline bingyman

• Neuling
« Reply #34 on: 20. September 2012, 22:40:45 »
After a fresh install i need 2 things
mc
geany

small but importent.....4me  ;)
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Bob Marley-Redemption Song

Offline keyicus

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
« Reply #35 on: 21. September 2012, 01:23:59 »
I think it would be great if Guake was the main terminal in Manjaro. Radio tray and Yarssr would also be good to have bundled in the system install. 

Offline viking

• Sr. Mitglied
  • GPU Card: Intel HD3000
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: Whichever is the latest
« Reply #36 on: 21. September 2012, 19:37:51 »
http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarodev/files/testbuild/net/
Thanks mips, but I have to tell you that even after you posted that link to me it still took me a while to figure out that your link was /projects/manjarodev whilst every other link I used (like distrowatch) points to /projects/manjarolinux, which is where everyone else will end up. Hence the net install is extremely well concealed. Not only that, but even if I did land on /projects/manjarodev, the heading 'testbuild' would not say to me "Here is a net install", it would say "Here is a beta version that I probably don't want to use". I'm not trying to be difficult, just pointing out that the netinstall is hard to find. Please take it as constructive criticism.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 laptop. Intel i5 processor, 16Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi, Mint17, Ubuntu1404, Manjaro, all Xfce4.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
« Reply #37 on: 21. September 2012, 19:46:15 »
Thanks mips, but I have to tell you that even after you posted that link to me it still took me a while to figure out that your link was /projects/manjarodev whilst every other link I used (like distrowatch) points to /projects/manjarolinux, which is where everyone else will end up. Hence the net install is extremely well concealed. Not only that, but even if I did land on /projects/manjarodev, the heading 'testbuild' would not say to me "Here is a net install", it would say "Here is a beta version that I probably don't want to use". I'm not trying to be difficult, just pointing out that the netinstall is hard to find. Please take it as constructive criticism.

The link I posted yesterday was for something I suspect that was still considered to be under development hence the reason it was lin the developers section and not the main release section.

Manjaro released a new 0.8.1 netinstall image this morning at http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/release/0.8.1/ but it had a bug in it so it has been removed. Roland might be looking at the bug tonight and maybe tomorrow there will be a new netinstall image at that location, just keep checking it occasionally.

I downloaded the new image this morning before it was removed and it does not work so wait a little bit.

Offline Roland

• Administrator
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #38 on: 22. September 2012, 02:50:05 »
x86_64 net iso is online. i686 will follow. The problem is my current upload speed of 40kb/s! :(

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #39 on: 24. September 2012, 12:01:38 »
Sorry that I messed up my first edition of it ...