Author Topic: Use KDE4?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Abscissa

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Intermediate
Use KDE4?
« on: 27. April 2016, 20:04:35 »
There are some issues currently preventing me from switching to KDE5 just yet (not worth getting into right now). Is there a way to use KDE4 on Manjaro instead of KDE5?

Offline Orbmiser

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Photographer / Techy Ole' Fart
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Netrunner Plasma 5
  • GPU Card: Ati 4350 Dual Displays
  • GPU driver: Free Open Driver
  • Kernel: 4.1.16-1
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Use KDE4?
« Reply #1 on: 27. April 2016, 20:18:02 »
Netrunner 14.2 LTS (Frontier)
Kubuntu/Debian-compatible
KDE 4.14 LTS
Long-Term-Supported (24 months)

http://www.netrunner.com/download/

Offline Abscissa

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #2 on: 27. April 2016, 21:02:06 »
Netrunner 14.2 LTS (Frontier)
Kubuntu/Debian-compatible
KDE 4.14 LTS
Long-Term-Supported (24 months)

http://www.netrunner.com/download/

I was looking more for Manjaro rather than Debian (hence posting here). Plus, that one's only supported for a few more months anyway.

Offline BS86

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: AMD Sapphire Fury X
  • GPU driver: amdgpu
  • Kernel: latest ck-piledriver + latest LTS
« Reply #3 on: 27. April 2016, 21:53:51 »
KDE 4 is quite old and is not maintained for Manjaro/Arch anymore. --> https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=29027.0

You might have better luck on some other distributions that are still using it like some RHEL based ones (e.g. CentOS 7 which is supported until 2024 but will not receive feature upgrades in the original repos) or ubuntu 14.04 based ones like Linux Mint or Kubuntu 14.04 - those have LTS until 2019

Anyway, I would not want to switch back to KDE4 anyway, all my issues I had with Plasma 5 are gone since 5.3 and now we are running 5.6.3

What are the issues you are having with Plasma 5?
First experiences with SuSE in early 2000s, really started with Ubuntu 7.04, Unity got me back to Windows, Back on Linux with Linux Mint 15, switched to Kubuntu for Plasma 5, and now using Manjaro - at work using Fedora and CentOS - but still lots of experience to gather

Offline Abscissa

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #4 on: 27. April 2016, 22:37:33 »
What are the issues you are having with Plasma 5?

For one very big (pun intended) thing, this, which doesn't seem to get any attention and doesn't appear to be on KDE's radar far as I can tell:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/274582/kde-limit-size-of-a-widget-on-a-panel
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=131908

It's been an issue for a long time, even many widgets had issues with that in 4 ( https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=122938&p=319975#p319975 ), but there were suitable replacements in 4, and in 5 the problems's only gotten worse with no signs that any improvement will ever be on the way. It's a major problem now that screens are short and wide leaving me insufficient vertical real-estate with a bottom-mounted panel (hence prompting the side-mounting, which no DE has ever seemed to be able to handle very well even though windows has had it working flawlessly since 1995, over twenty years, but...yea...definitely NOT going back to windows...)

Another issue is that, in 5, I have yet to find a way to get dolphin to show file transfer progress dialogs in lieu of the problematic system notifications approach. In 4 this was easy, just disable the notification's "track file transfers". But in 5 all that appears to do is eliminate *all* indication that a file transfer hasn't yet completed.
« Last Edit: 27. April 2016, 22:47:33 by Abscissa »

Offline BS86

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: AMD Sapphire Fury X
  • GPU driver: amdgpu
  • Kernel: latest ck-piledriver + latest LTS
« Reply #5 on: 27. April 2016, 22:59:35 »
I am not familiar with your problem No 1, but there are a lot of different widgets available even for the same things on 5 in the meantime, there should be some that have support for that.

In regards of the second problem, 5.6 added a feature that indicates such progress on the window list by using the button of the window as progress bar, similar to the approach used on Windows ;-)
Never had a problem with the notifications though
« Last Edit: 27. April 2016, 23:01:24 by BS86 »
First experiences with SuSE in early 2000s, really started with Ubuntu 7.04, Unity got me back to Windows, Back on Linux with Linux Mint 15, switched to Kubuntu for Plasma 5, and now using Manjaro - at work using Fedora and CentOS - but still lots of experience to gather

Offline Abscissa

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #6 on: 28. April 2016, 01:10:16 »
I am not familiar with your problem No 1, but there are a lot of different widgets available even for the same things on 5 in the meantime, there should be some that have support for that.

I tried all three alternatives for application launcher. On KDE5, all three available choices exhibit the same "grow gigantic and take up all the space" behavior. And one of them is just a "Win8-style start screen", so wouldn't really be an option anyway.

The "Activities" widget doesn't appear to have anything listed as an alternative. Not a big fan of the old pre-Activities approach to multiple desktops.

In KDE4, the behavior was very inconsistent: Some widgets worked fine in a side-mounted panel, and some scaled up gigantically to take soak up as much space as they possibly could. But KDE5 seemed to have "fixed" it: Now most widgets are unusable in a side-mounted panel.

In regards of the second problem, 5.6 added a feature that indicates such progress on the window list by using the button of the window as progress bar, similar to the approach used on Windows ;-)
Never had a problem with the notifications though

That "progress bar on the task bar button" is fine and nice touch, I don't mind it doing that, but there are several reasons it's completely inadequate as a *replacement* for an actual dialog. In any case, I seem to have finally found a way to at least fix this one:

- Go to "Notification" options and turn off "Track file transfers"
- Go to "Task Bar" options and turn off "" (A shame I have to do this just to get an actual dialog to appear, since it's a nice touch as an *extra*, just not as a replacement)
- Logout and back in
- Go to "Notification" options and turn off "Track file transfers" AGAIN, because it turned it back on automatically.
- I think I also needed to close any Dolphin windows that got reopened after logging back in, IIRC.

A rather absurd set of entirely unintuitive steps (turn off two OTHER features and click your heels three times) just to turn ON one feature, but at least it seems to work.

Unfortunately, that's the less problematic of the two issues. The widget size issue really makes things unusable for my primary desktop (right now, I only have KDE5 on a secondary machine).

similar to the approach used on Windows ;-)

Ugh, yea, if I wanted to be forced into MS's endless stream of goofy UI blunders (*cough*I'm looking at you PulseAudio mixer...), I'd use windows :/