Author Topic: Request  (Read 940 times)

Offline martynjlewis

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Advanced
Request
« on: 08. May 2016, 17:41:15 »
Hi everyone

I have a request, if anyone could please oblige.

Would it be possible for someone to put together a step-by-step tutorial of how to build a custom ISO? Preferably a video.

I am not new to Linux and I consider myself quite knowledgeable about IT and Linux but, for a reason I can't explain, I just can't seem to get my custom ISO to build/work/look properly.

I have tried several times to make a custom ISO from my existing install (settings, background, etc) but it never works.

I would be incredibly grateful as I would like to be able to perform a reinstall if necessary with my own settings, packages, etc already installed.

Many thanks

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Request
« Reply #1 on: 08. May 2016, 18:09:05 »
There have been several, but the thing is, manjaro-tools have undergone much developement, so making a guide at this point is a bit frutrating, since stuff keeps changing so often.

However, most of the stuff in old tutorials is still applicaple. See here for a list of tutorials: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=22435.0

As long as you don't need aur packages, things are pretty easy.

Can you be more specific about what you have problems with?

Offline martynjlewis

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #2 on: 08. May 2016, 18:20:13 »
I just never seem to end up with the right settings. I don't know what config files, etc I need to alter in order to build an ISO successfully. I think I must be missing a step somewhere.

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #3 on: 08. May 2016, 18:37:11 »
Okay. First describe what you wish to achieve. Tell us about the iso you want to create.

Offline martynjlewis

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #4 on: 08. May 2016, 18:42:45 »
ok, I have pretty much customized my desktop to just the way I like it (packages, themes, settings, etc) and I want to make an ISO so if I ever need to reinstall, it will be returned to exactly this point. Also I have some family members who are interested in trying out a Linux distro and I would like to build one (or maybe more) that suits them individually, looks familiar to them and is customised to make the transition as smooth as possible to them (in effect my own distro) which they could install from a livecd and it's done - they wouldn't have to configure anything (which they wouldn't know how to do) as it would already be done for them. As they become more comfortable with using Linux, I can show them how to customise things and they can learn how Linux distros work without having the initial shock.

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #5 on: 08. May 2016, 19:53:11 »
Okay, so cloning your own desktop settings? That is easy.

This assumes that you have already followed one of the tutorials linked, and have manjaro-tools-iso-profiles folder copied to your $HOME.

1) choose the official profile that corresponds with your desktop. For example, xfce. Take that profile as your template and modify it.

2) copy your settings:
- open your home folder in filemanager.
- press ctrl+h to show hidden files
- select everything with ctrl+a
- unselect stuff you don't want on the iso by holding ctrl and left clicking items. Since you are sharing this iso, you probably want to leave out browser settings and some folders like Pictures, Downloads and so on.
- copy with ctrl+c
- navigate in your iso profile to /etc/skel/. This is probably manjaro-tools-iso-profiles/official/xfce/xfce-overlay/etc/skel/
- paste with ctrl+v
- check and delete stuff you do not want to share.

3) build the iso.
Run
Code: [Select]
buildiso -p xfceIn your home folder
4) profit. Test your iso.

Offline martynjlewis

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #6 on: 08. May 2016, 19:59:37 »
I get that bit but I don't know what parts of the template I need to modify. Do I need to modify all of the conf files? are they all in the same place?

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64
« Reply #7 on: 08. May 2016, 20:11:34 »
I get that bit but I don't know what parts of the template I need to modify. Do I need to modify all of the conf files? are they all in the same place?

What's the target desktop environment?

Things don't work the same anymore for all desktops like it used to be, due to gtk3 using dconf binary blob.

Offline martynjlewis

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #8 on: 08. May 2016, 20:14:01 »
Xfce

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #9 on: 08. May 2016, 20:15:10 »
So you miss the step of creating either a desktop-settings package or directly putting the /etc/skel on iso, which I don't recommend.

Offline martynjlewis

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #10 on: 08. May 2016, 20:15:55 »
ok, I'll give it another shot. Thanks :-)

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #11 on: 08. May 2016, 20:17:43 »
add the package to the desktop package list.

Everything in /etc/skel gets copied to $HOME for a new user created.

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #12 on: 08. May 2016, 20:20:45 »
Advantage with a package, you can simply use a standard minimal xfce edition, install your package and eventually additional apps. No need to build a custom iso for a rolling release distro, that gets outdated pretty quickly.
Eg if you build a custom iso today, and the installations take place perhaps a week later, it could happen you need to update lots of packages after install anyway.
A custom settings package can be deployed with usb stick and pacman -U <your_pkg>
« Last Edit: 08. May 2016, 20:22:44 by artoo »

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
« Reply #13 on: 09. May 2016, 07:58:58 »
So you miss the step of creating either a desktop-settings package or directly putting the /etc/skel on iso, which I don't recommend.

It gives you better result, yes. However, is it a bit of a overkill if he is going to share it with just few family members? Correct me if I'm wrong, but would not he need to setup his own custom online repository for this, since support for local repos was removed?

That being said, if he can setup that repo, it is totally awesome solution.

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
« Reply #14 on: 09. May 2016, 13:24:15 »
It gives you better result, yes. However, is it a bit of a overkill if he is going to share it with just few family members? Correct me if I'm wrong, but would not he need to setup his own custom online repository for this, since support for local repos was removed?

That being said, if he can setup that repo, it is totally awesome solution.

Huh?

Point being, its much easier to just build a package, and use a default minimal edition.

You install the settings package locally after install.

What I am saying, why the hell do people want to build all these customized iso, if a simple settings package with their bling bling stuff will do? To be installed afterwards?

You tell me, if just creating a package  is over kill compared to building an entire iso? Think about it.

Frankly, I appreciate community efforts, but all these custom iso are in fact over kill.
If you want a basically static version that only updated half a year, and to keep it offline, arch or manjaro are not the best choice.