Author Topic: Challanges of the new time menu on init  (Read 281 times)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Challanges of the new time menu on init
« on: 05. March 2016, 07:42:19 »
Hi!

One of the problems I have ran into when trying to build bspwm images is the new menu that lets you choose time zone. I'm not sure how much of what I'm experiencing is bugs and how much new features.

Iso was built witg git tools and git profiles. I uefi booted it and everything ran like usual at first.

Then the boot process seemed to hang. I inspected the boot messages and saw that the system had asked me to choose timezone. I initially missed that message, because other boot messages just kept printing after it.

When I chose the timezone, I got a few more messages and then nothing happened. I waited for a minute to see if boot had hanged. It seemed so. Then I tried to open tty2... and it worked as it should. Boot had not hanged, tty1 just was never started.

So, I have 2 questions:
1) how much of this is intended behavior? I would suspect tty1 not being started being a bug. But what about boot messages continuing during time zone query?

2) is this caused by something in my iso profile, or should I discuss this theme somewhere else?

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Challanges of the new time menu on init
« Reply #1 on: 05. March 2016, 08:29:59 »
I do feel that adding the timezone menu is quite a usability regression. Simply booting that earlier required no interaction now requires reading a long list and 8 keypresses (1 to agree to choose timezone, 3 to browse through the list, 3 to type the right number and 1 enter). While irritating, it is still ok i guess, but the fact that boot messages continue printing after the notification makes it look really shoddy and gives a bad first impression. Also, it makes the notification easy to miss.  I wonder if adding "quiet" parameter to live session would make it better? Also, how does this work with plymouth?