Author Topic: How to reduce timeout of 'rankmirrors' program during update  (Read 1148 times)

Offline rmanj

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Intermediate
Often during update, following happens:
Code: [Select]
upgrading pacman-mirrorlist            [#################################################] 100%
:: Querying servers, this may take some time...
Then it really takes a long time. I believe it is due to 'rankmirrors' program. When run manually its timeout can be reduced by option -t or --timeout. How can I reduce its timeout option when it starts automatically during update process? I could not find its configuration file in the /etc folder. Can I just uninstall it? Thanks for your comments.
« Last Edit: 14. January 2016, 03:37:05 by rmanj »

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
Re: How to reduce timeout of 'rankmirrors' program during update
« Reply #1 on: 14. January 2016, 03:44:41 »
I use a Custom mirrorlist which usually has my 5 or 6 fastest mirrors in it. They get ranked very quickly as opposed to ranking ~40 (or however many mirrors there are these days).

Here's wiki page on the topic:
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak

Offline rmanj

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
« Reply #2 on: 14. January 2016, 04:03:39 »
If the timeout period can be reduced to 10 rather than present of >255 (that is the maximum time it has reported on my system), we can get quick ranking of all sites. Is it 'rankmirrors' or is it 'pacman-mirrors' program which runs here?

Edit: I checked scripts pacman-mirrors (and rankmirrors). The maxWaitTime default value is only 2 (seconds). Why does the program wait for such a long time for response from servers?
« Last Edit: 14. January 2016, 04:38:04 by rmanj »

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1-3 & Worker :)
  • GPU Card: intel...
  • GPU driver: open-source
  • Kernel: OpenBSD
« Reply #3 on: 14. January 2016, 08:01:25 »
It sounds like the problem is your internet speed. Obviously servers don't all have the same I/O speeds (if they did we wouldn't need to rank them :) ), & the speeds that any of them have are changing all of the time.

Run the pacman-mirrors -g command, then after it has done its thing run pacman -Syy

From your new mirrorlist, build a [Custom] mirrorlist (as per the link I supplied in an earlier post) using the fastest 5 or 6 mirrors from your mirrorlist that you have just ranked. (Don't worry about using mirrors from your country or whatever, just use the fastest no matter where they are situated.)

Then as done previously, run the pacman-mirrors -g command, followed by the pacman -Syy again. After that input pacman -Syu or use pacman -Syua instead if you want to upgrade any packages that you have installed from the AUR.

See how that goes for you.
« Last Edit: 14. January 2016, 08:04:10 by handy »
The ultimate tyranny in a society is not control
by martial law. It is control by the psychological
manipulation of consciousness, through which reality
is defined so that those who exist within do not even
realize that they are in prison.
  —  Barbara Marciniak