Author Topic: Little tweaks from Manjaro Fluxbox  (Read 848 times)

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
    • O homem que opera a máquina de apontar e fazer cliques
  • Branch: Manjaro JWM 16 dev, Manjaro Fluxbox 15.12, (L)Ubuntu 12.04
  • Desktop: JWM, Fluxbox, LXDE
  • GPU Card: (A porcaria da/the crappy) Via VN800
  • GPU driver: openchrome
  • Kernel: linux42-x86 (on a Pentium M...)
  • Skill: Intermediate
Little tweaks from Manjaro Fluxbox
« on: 24. January 2016, 02:07:15 »
Hi guys, hi @oberon , the maintainer here,

I'd like to ask a few things from the tweaks/configs of Manjaro Fluxbox that I hope can be used in the next release of Manjaro JWM:

- Holmes, the maintainer there, is preparing a script to install bluetooth support post-install, but I don't have support for that in my cpu, so I'm kinda a blind about this. Are bluez, bluez-libs, python-dbus and blueman all the packages you need for bluetooth to work? (Note that Manjaro JWM doesnt bring pulseaudio, so there's no need for the pulseaudio-bluetooth package.)
- If I'm correct, there is a little tweak in PCManFM and Lxterminal (maybe other software too) that they have a config to first open in a 'big size', a window resized bigger then the 'regular size' (this 'regular size' is what I noticed in a bunch of other distros, Lubuntu included). How to do this?

I believe that's it for now.
Thks in advance.
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline Losgann

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE, Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1.15-1-MANJARO
Re: Little tweaks from Manjaro Fluxbox
« Reply #1 on: 27. January 2016, 19:31:54 »
I don't know about the bluetooth (my desktop has bluetooth hardware, but I don't use any bluetooth accessories so I've never had to try using it) but as for the size thing, there is a Fluxbox config file called "apps" (~/.fluxbox/apps) where you can set parameters for any (or every) installed program, things like the position on the screen where it should open up, how big the program window should be, alpha transparency, etc. I couldn't find any config settings for either pcmanfm or lxterminal that would allow you to change the size of the window, so if these programs look different from "normal" in Manjaro Fluxbox in terms of size it's probably the settings in the apps file, I would think. I don't know if JWM has anything similar, I've only played with it a tiny bit in VirtualBox to try it out.

Of course, having said that, I've had some odd trouble with the Fluxbox apps file — some, but not all, of the changes I make to it keep getting overridden when I then reload or restart Fluxbox, and I can't figure out why.

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #2 on: 28. January 2016, 07:17:43 »
Oh, tks, I guess we're getting close. Here PCManFM 'specs' (ie):

[app] (name=pcmanfm) (class=Pcmanfm)
  [Dimensions]   {75% 81%}
  [Position]   (UPPERLEFT)   {15% 6%}
  [Close]   {yes}

Although, now if I run PCManFM and change widow size (or left hidden/unhidden files), it 'memorizes' the new set. But I guess this thing you pointed is the 'initial' size and placement.

Another tiny thing (I guess is just a config in Flux but I couldnt find), is to change the way the windows are shaded (or 'rolled up'): now it's set that is a double click the window title bar (and this does NOT max the size of the window). I'd like to set as Openbox and JWM, by rolling the mousewheel with the cursor pointing at the window title bar.
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline Losgann

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE, Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1.15-1-MANJARO
« Reply #3 on: 28. January 2016, 16:33:15 »
Oh, tks, I guess we're getting close. Here PCManFM 'specs' (ie):

[app] (name=pcmanfm) (class=Pcmanfm)
  [Dimensions]   {75% 81%}
  [Position]   (UPPERLEFT)   {15% 6%}
  [Close]   {yes}

Although, now if I run PCManFM and change widow size (or left hidden/unhidden files), it 'memorizes' the new set. But I guess this thing you pointed is the 'initial' size and placement.

You know, I just thought of it now, so I haven't tried playing with it yet, but it's the "[Close]   {yes}" line that makes Fluxbox 'memorize' the window state, which must include the new position/size. What happens if you remove that line?

Another tiny thing (I guess is just a config in Flux but I couldnt find), is to change the way the windows are shaded (or 'rolled up'): now it's set that is a double click the window title bar (and this does NOT max the size of the window). I'd like to set as Openbox and JWM, by rolling the mousewheel with the cursor pointing at the window title bar.

I managed to figure this one out! The "keys" file, as you probably know, sets the commands for mouse actions as well as keyboard actions. The following lines do what I think you are describing:

OnTitlebar Mouse4 :ShadeOn
OnTitlebar Mouse5 :ShadeOff

This shades the window when you scroll up, and unshades it when you scroll down. But as you can see, this ties those specific movements to those mouse actions, so if the window is shaded and you scroll up, nothing will happen, you can only scroll down to unshade it. As an alternative, you could do:

OnTitlebar Mouse4 :Shade
OnTitlebar Mouse5 :Shade

This would simply toggle the opposite shade state (i.e. shade if the window is unshaded, or unshade if the window is shaded) no matter which way you scroll.

I haven't looked at the JWM config files at all yet, so I don't know if it has anything similar.

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #4 on: 28. January 2016, 20:46:57 »
Nice, tks, now we are learning the 'syntax' of Flux config files!

And yep, I just did a quick test here and I guess you are right:  the "[Close]   {yes}" line is the one that makes Fluxbox 'memorize' the window state, I commented the line and the new widow size was forgotten after I close the program. This can be very handy in some situations, I guess I could play placing Libreoffice and Pale Moon in 'fixed' positions and so on.

And, to me, I like the first un/shadding setting, to avoid rolling too much the mousewheel and making the window go like crazy, ehehe.

And I guess this roll up, roll down to un/shade windows is already default in JWM, so it isnt' present in ~/.jwm/keys file (here you can take a look: https://github.com/holmeslinux/Manjaro-JWM/blob/master/jwm-overlay/etc/skel/.jwm/keys ).
#NãoVaiTerGolpe