Author Topic: Dmenu-manjaro and/or Synapse: can dmenu-manjaro open folders and files?  (Read 800 times)

Offline cipricus

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • Kernel: linux38-x64
  • Skill: Novice
I like Dmenu-manjaro and I would even prefer it to Synapse were it not for the fact that Synapse has the ability to access folders and files in a way I'm not able to find in dmenu-manjaro.

That is: can I set it to look into certain folders and find files like text files or in certain directories, like the home directories and open them in pcmanfm?

Can I make dmenu-manjaro watch /usr/share/applications and run applications from there? (It seems to runthem from usr/bin)

Anyway I'm pleased to have increased the font by changing the line `DMENU_FN=` in ~/.dmenurc.

Offline mxx

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Openbox/i3wm
  • Kernel: linux4
  • Skill: Intermediate
Dmenu can open the file manager :)

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
Well you can also type in something like 'gksu pcmanfm /etc/default' or 'nano mynotes' and dmenu will certainly open for you want you want, and even remember that you ordered it next time ... ::)
It's just not awfully convenient ... :P
So, I'm afraid dmenu does not really deliver the feature you are looking for here ... ;) 8)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline cipricus

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • Kernel: linux38-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Well you can also type in something like 'gksu pcmanfm /etc/default' or 'nano mynotes' and dmenu will certainly open for you want you want, and even remember that you ordered it next time ... ::)
It's just not awfully convenient ... :P
So, I'm afraid dmenu does not really deliver the feature you are looking for here ... ;) 8)

It's true that I started looking in dmenu for more features than I used before, not knowing even that they were available in Synapse - dmenu helped me found them  ;D

Dmenu should work very conveniently if it remembers it all, at least for some items: typing commands starting with pcmanfm for some locations that I use often, typing commands starting with mousepad for location of texts that I edit often (like ~/.fluxbox/init or keys).

But learning these I made a lot of errors. Is there a simple way to make dmenu forget what I've recently typed (my bad entries)?  O:-)

Also - at first use of a command, it asks if background, terminal, terminal hold: then it asks no more, which is handy; but if I chose wrong, how to choose again?

Thank you for all the prompt reactions, for good advice and the great work!

« Last Edit: 16. October 2015, 14:00:14 by cipricus »

Offline lightbeam

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable as in: "Whoa, Nelly!"
  • Desktop: Wide Openbox
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon Xpress 200 Series - Methuselah Edition
  • GPU driver: Free as in Lunch
  • Kernel: Linux44, i686
OT: Can dmenu-manjaro be used in Openbox as well?  Of course, I already have both dmenu and Synapse installed, but i3's dmenu looks a whole lot better than mine, plus the added features.  So...
---------------------------------------------------
I make you look good. 8)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
  • Desktop: Gnome, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
For opening files with dmenu-manjaro, take a look at this extenstion:

https://github.com/Chrysostomus/bspwm-scripts/blob/master/bin/finder

Running it for the first time after boot has a delay, but subsequent uses are faster. It lists all files in you home folder and allows searching for files there dmenu style. It then opens them with xdg-open, so it also opens web pages if you feed some into it (https:// in the beginning required)
It is included in package bspwm-scripts. You can also install it by copying it to your $PATH (for example /usr/bin/) and making it executable (chmod +x /usr/bin/finder)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git

It's true that I started looking in dmenu for more features than I used before, not knowing even that they were available in Synapse - dmenu helped me found them  ;D

Dmenu should work very conveniently if it remembers it all, at least for some items: typing commands starting with pcmanfm for some locations that I use often, typing commands starting with mousepad for location of texts that I edit often (like ~/.fluxbox/init or keys).

But learning these I made a lot of errors. Is there a simple way to make dmenu forget what I've recently typed (my bad entries)?  O:-)

Also - at first use of a command, it asks if background, terminal, terminal hold: then it asks no more, which is handy; but if I chose wrong, how to choose again?

Thank you for all the prompt reactions, for good advice and the great work!

making dmenu_recency forget your mistakes is simple. Just edit ~/.cache/dmenu-recent/recent and ~/.config/dmenu_recent/terminal. You can also make it artificially "remember" things from there =)

Offline Chrysostomus

• Maintainer
  • Neckbeards are cool
    • Git
I found this dmenu script, that seems to combine function of finder and normal dmenu: https://github.com/markjones112358/dmenu-extended/blob/master/README.md

Seems interesting, haven't tried it yet, but it seems a more complete synapse replacement.

Offline minjaro

• Neuling
  • (:
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: the legendary fluxbox (openrc edition)
  • GPU Card: Intel 945 GM
  • GPU driver: i915
  • Kernel: 4.4.5-1 x86
Wow! That is cool extended functionality! Very nice.