Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
132 (62.9%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
30 (14.3%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
48 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-04-26 - Cinnamon 3.0, Pamac, Gnome 3.20, KDE, Virtualbox  (Read 28848 times)

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
my dvd drive donĀ“t work. is old  :(

You can make a bootable usb-stick with the Manjaro Live installation on it.

You can use UNetbootin to create such a usb stick in Linux or if you use Windows, then you can use Rufus.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
While this update seems to have caused issues for over a third of users according to the poll, I understand that switching to GTK had to happen at some point. Perhaps it's better that these issues occur now rather than later, before the major release of 16.6.

While my system has never broken due to a Manjaro update cycle, there was one update cycle last year that made it behave a bit quirky, however on the next update cycle afterwards, things were smoothed out again and worked perfectly again.

I suspect this time will be similar, however perhaps it might take a few update cycles before everything is perfect again, because quite a few packages and themes have to adapt to the new GTK.

Offline Foxwater

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE
  • GPU Card: ATi 7950
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: 4.1-x64
  • Skill: Novice
Smooth update on both KDE & Xfce outside of the theme issue.  Thank you team.
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.

Aldous Huxley

Offline kmartin

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
  • GPU driver: video-intel 2013.01.12 true PCI
  • Kernel: 4.2.8-4.1-MANJARO x86_64
vertex-maia-dark text is unreadable in my Bank of America login window when I type my login. The window just turns black, login functions just fine, but this is changed behaviour from before.  The text is ether black or invisible. If you select the text entered it appears as a strange blue text. Not a big issue as the login works and is in fact more secure... but is this intended behaviour? I'm not bitching, just thought it should be noted.

Here is the link if any one with vertex-maia-dark  wants to test it: https://www.bankofamerica.com/ My login is ... you must be kidding ::)

Thanks again Development team, Manjaro dominates.

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
vertex-maia-dark text is unreadable in my Bank of America login window when I type my login.
Maybe you are not using the theme correctly?

You have to copy or link the content of the theme's firefox/chrome folder to your profile:
Code: [Select]
ln -s /usr/share/themes/Firefox/Vertex-Maia-Dark/chrome/ .mozilla/firefox/<xyz123>.default/chrome
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline kmartin

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • GPU Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Oberon Thanks for a reply, I did try a symlink. I entered:
]$ ln -s /usr/share/themes/Firefox/Vertex-Maia-Dark/chrome ~/.mozilla/firefox/xyz.default/chrome
I have replaced the random string in .default above with xyz. rebooted, here is the screen shot. I tried to take a screen shot with the login text selected, for completeness but the image reverts and hides the entered text.
To me this is not a big deal but if I can give more info I am glad to help. :)
« Last Edit: 29. April 2016, 08:52:29 by kmartin »

Offline Fatboy

• Sr. Mitglied
  • "Spiral out. Keep going..."
  • Desktop: Xfce, KDE plasma 5
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 210
  • GPU driver: 340.xx
  • Kernel: Manjaro Kernel 4.4 LTS
Huge update. Love it! Thanks guys. All is well :)
"I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me. Whatever will bewilder me."

Offline tiger04

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: xfce 4.12
  • GPU Card: Intel 2nd gen integrated, Radeon 7500M/7600M
  • GPU driver: video-hybrid-intel-ati-bumblebee 2016.01.28 free
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
i use hp laptop with hybrid graphics
Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (rev ff)

and i use the free drivers this is the output of [mhwd -li]

video-hybrid-intel-ati-bumblebee            2016.01.28                true            PCI

after this update my laptop was running 59-63 C when i'm doing nothing and up to 67 when i'm just browsing.
turns out both IGD and DIS were powered on
output of cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
1:DIS: :Pwr:0000:01:00.0

for now i turned off the unused DIS as root using [echo 'OFF' > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch] and i will probably keep doing this every time i turn on my laptop until i know what to do or next update or figure out what packages to downgrade
« Last Edit: 29. April 2016, 09:30:57 by tiger04 »

Offline Monro

• Neuling
  • Monro of Fyrish coat of arms
  • Desktop: OpenBOx
No one?
Since I posted the above, I searched and tried many suggestions from all over, and none worked.
I tried this update with my current kernel, 4.4 and a previous one 4.1 and the same problem as reported in the above linked post.

Offline kmartin

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
@ Oberon  Actually I would like to learn why this theme change to Vertex-Maia-Dark affected my Bank of America login when I did not intend that. I did not try to symlnk them originally because I did not care to be thematically consistent. I apply styles to Firefox as needed in my sense of aesthetic. In fact I tried one with Firefox to see if it had an effect on the login window. no change. So the real question in the end is: Why did changing over to the theme Vertex-Maia-Dark affect the login menu for Bank of America in Firefox when that was not wanted? I only tried a symlink after I noticed the change just to see if that "fixed" something that should not have even been affected, as I reasoned. So what did I miss?
Did I get the syntax right? I am very inexperienced at Linux.
$ ln -s /usr/share/themes/Firefox/Vertex-Maia-Dark/chrome ~/.mozilla/firefox/xyz.default/chrome
Thanks for your time Oberon

Offline salome

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
  • GPU driver: Mesa / nouveau free drivers
  • Kernel: linux314-x64
I have only 2 words to say: f*ck GTK 3.20   >:(

Excluding the GTK 3.20 theming issues, this is a smooth update as usual.

Now I have to work hard to fix my theme to make it fit well with the GTK 3.20, I hope I'll found some guidelines on the web

Offline d7rk

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: Gnome // Openbox
  • GPU Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller and NVIDIA GF119M [GeForce 610M]
  • GPU driver: nvidia
  • Kernel: 4.4.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
No one?
Since I posted the above, I searched and tried many suggestions from all over, and none worked.
I tried this update with my current kernel, 4.4 and a previous one 4.1 and the same problem as reported in the above linked post.

Hello Monro, could you please supply the team with more info about your hardware?

inxi -F
If you don't have inxi please install it.
Cheers,

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
Sounds like a very good idea! However, I think Guillaume and Dustin, the authors of pamac are not around so much here. The best place to suggest this will be on github :)

P.S. running 'yaourt -Su' on a command line allows one to manually select packages to update

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
You can make a bootable usb-stick with the Manjaro Live installation on it.

You can use UNetbootin to create such a usb stick in Linux or if you use Windows, then you can use Rufus.

AFAIK using UNetbootin with hybrid uefi-compatible images is not advised.

Simply
sudo dd if=image.iso of=/dev/<usb-device-id>NOTE: be very careful with this command or you will nuke your system

Offline Monro

• Neuling
  • Monro of Fyrish coat of arms
  • Desktop: OpenBOx
Hello Monro, could you please supply the team with more info about your hardware?

inxi -F
If you don't have inxi please install it.
Cheers,
inxi info is in the attached file below.