Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
132 (62.9%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
30 (14.3%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
48 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-04-26 - Cinnamon 3.0, Pamac, Gnome 3.20, KDE, Virtualbox  (Read 28835 times)

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
  • Skill: Intermediate
Yes this GTK theme broking business is nonsense. E.g. all 'working' dark themes make gitg diff view unreadable due to too foreground color being too light. I tried using custom foreground colors but gitg is oblivious to those settings. Even gitg-git does not fix it.

ManjaroFlatDark did not have this problem.

Offline cim

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: OpenRC XFCE
  • Skill: Novice
I posted a how-to for downgrading GTK3 to restore themes broken by the recent upgrade. It just requires a few older packages. This is a temporary fix until themes are updated for GTK 3.20, or new themes created for it. There are so few right now.

For the how-to go here: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=33482
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 16:26:19 by cim »

Offline khalismur

• Neuling
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: nVidia 840M
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux44
I posted a how-to for downgrading GTK3 to restore older themes. It just requires a few older packages. This is a temporary fix until themes are updated for GTK 3.20, or new themes created for it. There are so few right now.

For the how-to go here: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=33482
Maybe I don't understand what you mean because this is not the issue to me. Older dark themes were also broken.
I just think Manjaro team should manage to fix them, since themes are being redone anyway. Why not give this some attention?? :-(
Please make a Manjaro Dark theme work with Firefox properly!  :-\

Offline Serenase

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Deepin
  • GPU Card: Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.7GHz
  • GPU driver: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.1.13-1-MANJARO
Maybe I don't understand what you mean because this is not the issue to me. Older dark themes were also broken.
I just think Manjaro team should manage to fix them, since themes are being redone anyway. Why not give this some attention?? :-(
Please make a Manjaro Dark theme work with Firefox properly!  :-\

Firefox and dark themes haven't work ever and that's not Manjaro's fould. There's couple of fix on addons of that, but some sites still not working right., textbox text is too light etc. I'm hoping new Firefox GTK support fix this eventually. :)

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
I just installed the update and it seemed to have messed up the Greenbird theme. Switching to Vertex didn't help. Things were acting quirky, like for example the "show desktop" button no longer worked and when logging into Manjaro the GUI had no outlines.

So I'm currently restoring my system to the state before the update from a Clonezilla backup image that I made earlier today before the update.

I'm waiting this one out and will wait until the next update cycle where hopefully a number of issues will be fixed.

It was quite obvious that the GTK update is what was affecting things in a negative way. (I'm on Manjaro 64-bit Xfce)

Hopefully Greenbird will be made to work well with the new version of GTK as well.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 17:28:30 by Heart Of A Lion »

Offline LA-MJ

• Neuling
Yes this GTK theme broking business is nonsense. E.g. all 'working' dark themes make gitg diff view unreadable due to too foreground color being too light. I tried using custom foreground colors but gitg is oblivious to those settings. Even gitg-git does not fix it.

ManjaroFlatDark did not have this problem.

I was aware about all the GTK2,GTK3,QT theming nightmare before but was content to avoid it because things just worked™. Now that I got annoyed with it, after some research I realized that GTK now bundles both light and dark themes together and uses a 'gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme' switch which was not obvious to me using LXDE /sigh

Anyway, since Vertex-Maia and Vertex-Maia-Dark are bundled separately the latter masquerades as a light theme which is a good thing™ because it would not be compatible with GTK2 and QT otherwise. Problem is GTK3 apps like gitg may use that switch to determine which hard-coded colors to use and you end up with unreadable text because the 'light theme variant' is actually dark.

DL;DR add 'gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1' to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini if using a dark-only theme.

P. S. I hate GTK devs.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 17:45:20 by LA-MJ »

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Okay I rolled back my system to a state before the update using a Clonezilla backup image. All is working perfectly again.

Since I still would like to update my system, but suspect that GTK has been causing the issues, which packages should I avoid to update in order to circumvent these issues? Every package of which the name starts with gtk? Or are there more packages that should be avoided to update for now?

PS: For those that haven't made backups of their system, I can understand that an update cycle like this might be scary for new Manjaro users. Which is why I always recommend to make backups of your system before updating. For me, this was crucial today, because I use my Manjaro system as a workstation.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 20:39:46 by Heart Of A Lion »

Offline Serenase

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Deepin
  • GPU Card: Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.7GHz
  • GPU driver: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.1.13-1-MANJARO
I was aware about all the GTK2,GTK3,QT theming nightmare before but was content to avoid it because things just worked™. https://www.facebook.com/juureravi/?fref=ts&hc_location=ufi

Anyway, since Vertex-Maia and Vertex-Maia-Dark are bundled separately the latter masquerades as a light theme which is a good thing™ because it would not be compatible with GTK2 and QT otherwise. Problem is GTK3 apps like gitg may use that switch to determine which hard-coded colors to use and you end up with unreadable text because the 'light theme variant' is actually dark.

DL;DR add 'gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1' to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini if using a dark-only theme.

P. S. I hate GTK devs.

Same here at Deepin.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Also an important note for the developers.

Due to the issues with this update, I would like to selectively select packages to update in the update manager. However there are 344 packages to update and they are all selected. There is no "select none/select all" checkbox, which means I have to uncheck all 344 packages manually and check the ones I would like to update or I would need to use the command line.

Such a checkbox would be a very useful feature in a scenario like this.

I hereby request the developers to implement this.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Okay, since I have a backup image of my system of just before the update, I'm going to do a test.

I'm going to update my system, all 344 packages, except the following packages related to GTK,
because I want to see if I can update my system without issues if I do it like this.
This will allow me to wait for an update cycle that fixes all the issues.

The packages that I will not update are:

gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk3
gtkmm3
gtksourceview3
lib32-gtk3

If I'm missing any packages that should be excluded from being updated, then please let me know.

Offline heyne001

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I personally love the Adwaita-manjaro theme and dislike the Vertex one. However, at first it looked okay, but now it looks like it's conflicting with the original Adwaita and the text for icons on the desktop is suddenly dark grey, instead of white. Also, when I switch back to original Adwaita, it looses the desktop background and goes white. After logging out-in, the background is back and everything is okay.

Pix showing the issue for Adwaita-Manjaro theme:

As mentioned, it didn't look like this in the beginning. It just suddenly "happened". No idea, why. Any ideas how to fix it? :)
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 18:50:47 by heyne001 »

Offline llogg

• Sr. Mitglied
Any recommendations for a flat dark theme compatible with gtk 3.20?  Menda-dark was great for this.  Maia-vertex is fine but I don't like the shadows on the panel and the window decoration buttons.  I can use any of my old favorite themes for window decorations, so that's not as big a deal.
Laptop: Ideapad U310, Kernel 4.1, 4.3, MDM, XFCE

Desktop: Kernel 4.0, 4.1, MDM, XFCE, Nvidia non-free drivers

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Okay, since I have a backup image of my system of just before the update, I'm going to do a test.

I'm going to update my system, all 344 packages, except the following packages related to GTK,
because I want to see if I can update my system without issues if I do it like this.
This will allow me to wait for an update cycle that fixes all the issues.

The packages that I will not update are:

gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk3
gtkmm3
gtksourceview3
lib32-gtk3

If I'm missing any packages that should be excluded from being updated, then please let me know.

Okay that did not go too well. The Greenbird theme still got messed up, even after excluding the GTK packages.

When trying to run Pamac after that update, it only briefly turned on and then closed itself again. So I did a full system update again using the terminal and included the GTK packages this time. Then I switched the theme to Vertex-Maia in the Appearance settings, Window manager settings and Greeter Settings.

Now things seem to work relatively well, except for the fact that I can't select Vertex-Maia-Dark in the greeter settings.

I hope Greenbird will get updated to work well with this new GTK version.

« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 19:23:15 by Heart Of A Lion »

Offline cim

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: OpenRC XFCE

I just downgraded gtk3 and gtkmm3 to restore the themes broken by the upgrade. Greenbird works okay for me now; you need to reboot after changing your GTK3 package to see the change. You'll also need to downgrade (or not upgrade) vte3 and vte-common to avoid breaking pamac package management applications. I'm running 32-bit. Your lib32 package is probably for running 32-bit applications on 64-bit, so that may need downgrading also.

As I posted earlier in this thread, there's a how-to for downgrading GTK3 here: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=33482
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 19:22:28 by cim »

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I just downgraded gtk3 and gtkmm3 to restore the themes broken by the upgrade. Greenbird works okay for me now; you need to reboot after changing your GTK3 package to see the change. You'll also need to downgrade (or not upgrade) vte3 and vte-common to avoid breaking pamac package management applications. I'm running 32-bit. Your lib32 package is probably for running 32-bit applications on 64-bit, so that may need downgrading also.

As I posted earlier in this thread, there's a how-to for downgrading GTK3 here: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=33482

You are quite probably right.

For now I've switched to Vertex-Maia in the Appearance settings and Window Manager settings and to Vertex-Maia-Dark in the Greeter Settings. That combination seems to be satisfactory to me until Greenbird gets updated for the new GTK version, because let's be honest, even if we don't update GTK right now, then at one point we'll have to do it anyway. It would be hard to get around it at some point.