Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
132 (62.9%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
30 (14.3%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
48 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-04-26 - Cinnamon 3.0, Pamac, Gnome 3.20, KDE, Virtualbox  (Read 29109 times)

Offline Finrod

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • Kernel: 4.4.4
  • Skill: Novice
@Finrod: Excellent. I improved the first post by formatting one line in bold-red  >:D

and for some reason this morning Plank too autostarted, so everything's fine here now :D

Offline ninsa

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Intel HD4000
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
Good update and not a single problem here. I installed the Vertex-Maia theme before the update, and I like it even better than Menda. Also, with the new theme a few problems have vanished. So for example, my firefox toolbar now looks much more organized, as it used to. The huge space around the icons is gone.

All in all, great job done, and thank you very much devs! :D

Offline aguador

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: E20
  • GPU Card: Intel 945 GME; Radeon 9000; Nvidia 340xx
  • GPU driver: Free; free; free
  • Kernel: Linux314-net; Linux44-x86; Linux44-x64
I have still only updated one machine. Before updating more, I have two questions:
  • If we do NOT want to update to GTK3 3.20 until theme authors/maintainers have had a chance to (once again!) change their themes, is it possible just to block updates to the GTK3 package for the time being . . . or are there more packages affected (e.g., gtk3mm) . . . and/or is this too big a can of worms to open?
  • As a clarification, is Menda being killed off, er, retired, or will it continue to be maintained even though Vertex is the new default?
A note regarding Vertex: There is no highlight bar on the menu that appears after right clicking on the pamac icon (for me in a stalone tray) although others work properly.

Thanks.

Offline Photon

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: Intel 4500MHD
  • Skill: Intermediate
As a clarification, is Menda being killed off, er, retired, or will it continue to be maintained even though Vertex is the new default?

It depends: https://github.com/manjaro/release-plan/issues/43

Offline aguador

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
@Photon: Thanks. If Menda were to slip gently into the night, it might be nice to create some variations on Vertex which has some great windows decorations, but an alternative to the teal would be good and a charcoal/slate version I am sure would be a welcome addition.

For Mediterranean themes users, a bug has been filed on GitHub, but it looks as if help would be appreciated from those with theming experience. See:

https://github.com/rbrito/mediterranean-gtk-themes/issues/46

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
If we do NOT want to update to GTK3 3.20 until theme authors/maintainers have had a chance to (once again!) change their themes, is it possible just to block updates to the GTK3 package for the time being . . . or are there more packages affected (e.g., gtk3mm) . . . and/or is this too big a can of worms to open?
You can just try that for a while and see what happens. I don't expect it to render your system un-bootable, so the day you encounter problems you can just finally upgrade. But personally of your three options I would expect the last one quite soon ... :P ;)

As a clarification, is Menda being killed off, er, retired, or will it continue to be maintained even though Vertex is the new default
It will no longer be maintained.

A note regarding Vertex: There is no highlight bar on the menu that appears after right clicking on the pamac icon (for me in a stalone tray) although others work properly.
Hm. In all contexts I have tried sofar with different trays that's not the case. Could you provide a screenshot and tell me what tray exactly you are using? Is that in E20?
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline aguador

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
Hm. In all contexts I have tried sofar with different trays that's not the case. Could you provide a screenshot and tell me what tray exactly you are using? Is that in E20?

Yes, I encountered this specifically with Vertex-Dark running under E20 using stalonetray for notifications. I am not on my updated machine (and not inclined to deal with a can of worms on this one at the moment), but as I recall there is some virtually imperceptible change in the letters, but no visible bar.

Unfortunately, Vertex under E operates at a disadvantage. The nicest parts of Vertex are the top border decoration and buttons, but they are not recognized by E -- nor does the pamac header come out as compactly/elegantly as shown in the screenshot I have seen. This latter is, I assume, an E-related Vertex issue, while the menu issue seems pamac-specific.

Screenshots to come this evening.

(PS: RIP Menda)

Offline fassil

• Support Team
  • Branch: stable/unstable
  • Desktop: E19/E20
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: Linux314 & 318
'LLo aguador,

Just for info, Mediterraneannight-theme in unstable works now with enlightenment & gtk3, so...

O_ops, it's not a gtk3 theme, sorry !  :o
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 12:42:00 by fassil »
"Are you enlightened ?"

Offline elman

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 970
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
I made my GNOME look quite good with the Vertex theme, I believe I used Vertex Dark. Looks quite good now.

Thanks for the tip. Vertex-Maia looks very nice ;)

Offline bb80

• Neuling
  • Desktop: i3
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
  • Kernel: 4.3 x64
After the update, I can't log into the graphic environment:
I get the attached error (an image).

I have openbox as default and xfce as backup.

Please help.

same issue here, but i'm running jwm community edition in the virtualbox.  i see several people reported same issue. i've tried everyhting suggested before (reinstalling drivers using mhwd, etc.) and nothing helped. i guess this update does break virtualbox drivers, as my another installation of manjaro i3 on the desktop with nvidia drivers upgraded with no problems...

Offline Goligoski

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xfce
Just registered to say this. Gtk is a piece of ****. My beloved greybird theme is broken (as my working process) for gtk 3 apps. And only three compatible themes (vertex, adwaita and arc) look ugly and too white imho. Can someone provide a link to  the previous gtk package? I cleared cache before update.
P. S. Ok. Vertex looks not so bad. The only issue I have with pa applet icon which has a dark color on a dark panel.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 12:37:20 by Goligoski »

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
Just registered to say this. Gtk is a piece of ****. My beloved greybird theme is broken (as my working process) for gtk 3 apps. And only three compatible themes (vertex, adwaita and arc) look ugly and too white imho. Can someone provide a link to  the previous gtk package? I cleared cache before update.
Search Manjaro Wiki for "downgrade".
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline jssilva

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Hello,

Thank you devs for another almost smooth upgrade. My Greybird theme got broken, replaced by Adwaita; ufw lost my configs, applied the advised fix; all is well now.

I love Linux and Manjaro, in that order; the theme is just a detail.

Again, many thanks.
jss

Offline fredhoud

• Sr. Mitglied
  • King of Liunx!
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma Version 5.6.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Quad Core i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
  • Kernel: 4.4.9-1 Manjaro
Huge, but smooth update on the KDE side on all machines. Also the Dropbox icon is appearing again on computers with Intel, and ATI graphics. Before the update the Dropbox icon only appeared on NVIDIA graphics.
Thanks,

Offline khalismur

• Neuling
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: nVidia 840M
  • Kernel: linux44
Again regarding Firefox and themes...
Using now Vertex-Maia works nice but what about the Dark version??

I've read everything in this thread and I found some advice on the web and also on Manjaro forums about the use of Firefox and dark themes.
In the Menda days, I've given up using the dark theme because it broke Firefox. Even with different custom chrome folders I've found around, my Firefox still displayed white text against white background (on startpage.com search results for example). The problem persists....

Should I (we?) really give up trying Firefox + dark themes??? Since you folks are updating the themes and icons, would it not be timing to solve this issue properly?? Jeez, over two years and still all Manjaro dark themes make Firefox strange (startpage.com search results, Manjaro forums and many others are examples of often visited sites that are broken...)

Other than this, the update went good :-)