Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
132 (62.9%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
30 (14.3%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
48 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-04-26 - Cinnamon 3.0, Pamac, Gnome 3.20, KDE, Virtualbox  (Read 28833 times)

Offline Finrod

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • Kernel: 4.4.4
  • Skill: Novice
back home after 3 weeks, switched the desktop on (with Manjaro Openbox) and started the update... well, it hasn't been a good idea :(
Hadn't checked everything but at the first sight I've noticed:
- Plank doesn't automatically start any more, I've checked the OpenBox Autostart file and Plank is still there, but it seems not to work, while e.g Conky seems to have no problems, why?

- Firefox... the Bookmarks Toolbar looks "condensed"... and when clicking on the folders the menu shows only the tiny icons of the websites (or folders) but the names of the sites (or folders) have disappeared, also I've noticed that when I right click on a link it's the same... the menu doesn't have any text, only tiny (horrible) icons here and there. Why? How can I fix it? Also, if I double click... or try in any way to select the text in the address bar it doesn't work...

I'm leaving again on Friday, not much time to dedicate to solving this issue... hopefully there's a quick and easy-to-do fix...

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
@Finrod: Read at least the first post of this announcement and use a theme which is actually working for GTK 3.20.

Offline elman

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 970
  • Kernel: linux41-x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
Apart from already mentioned Gnome ugliness (and Adwaita doesn't help much), everything went fine. Thanks

Offline Finrod

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
@Finrod: Read at least the first post of this announcement and use a theme which is actually working for GTK 3.20.

sorry, on a hurry as usually and just added this post at the end of the thread... I'll have a look at the first one asap ;-)

Offline Finrod

• Vollwertiges Mitglied

hooray, success :D
Thanks very much for the hint, without your answer even if I had read the first post I wouldn't have done the connection between the theme and Firefox, well... not today at least ;)

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
@Finrod: Excellent. I improved the first post by formatting one line in bold-red  >:D

Offline DK3

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
    • TechHQ
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: Many (AMD,Nvidia,Intel)
  • GPU driver: AMD,Nvidia non-free
  • Kernel: 4.5.x
Update on 12 Machines including Theme Change from Menda to Vertex without Problems.

DK3
- Management is, if 10 people are paid for something what 5 could do cheaper, if they are only 3 and 2 of them are ill.

- Computers are the most intelligent idiots whom there are.

Offline CyberWolf2k14

• Held Mitglied
  • Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.
  • Branch: Stable-sysd229-LightDM
  • Desktop: MATE/Cinnamon/GNOME
  • GPU Card: nVidia GeForce GT740
  • GPU driver: nVidia-NF-364.19
  • Kernel: 4.4.9x64 / 4.2.8.9x64 / 4.1.23x64
Apart from already mentioned Gnome ugliness (and Adwaita doesn't help much), everything went fine. Thanks
I made my GNOME look quite good with the Vertex theme, I believe I used Vertex Dark. Looks quite good now.
PowerSpec Quad core Intel Core i5-4690K w/ 16GB RAM
Dual Boot = Win 7 Ult x64 and Manjaro 15.12 x64
===================================================
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history...
with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila".

Offline iKreate

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable ( ManjaroLinux 15.12 Capella )
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.30)
  • GPU Card: amd r7970
  • GPU driver: fglrx
  • Kernel: 4.4.9-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
smooth sailed through all 200+ updates. thank you.. i did change themes to the recomended ones before updating. after rebooting and logging in, system froze while loading desktop but this has happened before, a restart always solves that issue

Offline Pantelenix Dynamorph

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
We are happy to announce our seventeenth update of Manjaro 15.12 (Capella)!

With this we updated Gnome and GTK to 3.20. This will break most of the themes and will be fixed as soon as we had time to port them.

It is recommended to use Adwaita or any theme which is already compatible with the new CSS style of Gnome. Most of the work is now going into Adwaita-Manjaro and Vertex-Maja. Vertex will become our default theme for most of our editions.

I hope the Raleigh theme for XFCE is ported soon. Both the Adwaita-Manjaro and Vertex-Maia themes are hard on my eyes. I went with the Raleigh theme because it was no-nonsense visually.

By the way, how when I know when Raleigh is ported? It doesn't show up in the package manager. Will it just come as an update to XFCE?

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I hope the Raleigh theme for XFCE is ported soon. Both the Adwaita-Manjaro and Vertex-Maia themes are hard on my eyes. I went with the Raleigh theme because it was no-nonsense visually.

By the way, how when I know when Raleigh is ported? It doesn't show up in the package manager. Will it just come as an update to XFCE?

I'll also add that the Raleigh theme is the only theme that actually *works*. All other themes have bizarre problems and incompletenesses that one runs into eventually. So for example, the Network Monitor for the xfce4-panel has an option to choose incoming and outgoing colors in its bar display. But Adwaita-Manjaro makes both these bars the same blue colors regardless of one's Network Monitor settings.

That is another reason why I was using the Raleigh theme, because I want a theme that actually works.

Offline Rob

• Core Team
  • Alias: Korrode
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX560Ti
  • Kernel: linux314 x64
  • Skill: Advanced
Raleigh doesn't "work", it's the opposite in fact, it doesn't work for GTK3 at all - Raleigh is only a GTK2 theme.

It 'works' because when there's no GTK3 theme at all, GTK3 uses it's default theme: Adwaita.

So when you use Raleigh you're getting Raleigh for GTK2 apps and Adwaita for GTK3 apps.
Same will happen if you use and GTK2-only theme.

EDIT: Actually that's wrong anyway, just tested, and using Raleigh results in all GTK3 apps looking quite bad.

If people want a light theme that's guaranteed to always be GTK3 ready at the time of update, use Gnome's provided, default theme: Adwaita (not Adwaita-Manjaro, just plain old upstream Adwaita)
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 05:48:58 by Rob »

Offline lightbeam

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable as in: "Whoa, Nelly!"
  • Desktop: Wide Openbox
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon Xpress 200 Series - Methuselah Edition
  • GPU driver: Free as in Lunch
  • Kernel: Linux44, i686
ufw

If you have issues with ufw not working anymore, you have to copy your custom rules to a different folder. Do it like this:

Code: [Select]
sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user.rules
sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user6.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user6.rules

One would do this if unable to start ufw?
---------------------------------------------------
I make you look good. 8)

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Raleigh doesn't "work", it's the opposite in fact, it doesn't work for GTK3 at all - Raleigh is only a GTK2 theme.

It 'works' because when there's no GTK3 theme at all, GTK3 uses it's default theme: Adwaita.

So when you use Raleigh you're getting Raleigh for GTK2 apps and Adwaita for GTK3 apps.
Same will happen if you use and GTK2-only theme.

Hi, Rob. Yes, I've read about these themes.

All I am speaking to is what I can actually see when I use the Raleigh theme (i.e., before this last update broke it). I see that it doesn't have the problems of all the other many themes that I have tried.

Offline Monro

• Neuling
  • Monro of Fyrish coat of arms
  • Desktop: OpenBOx
After the update, I can't log into the graphic environment:

I'm on a virtual machine.
I disabled my LXDM.
After login, when I try
startx

I get the attached error (an image).

I have openbox as default and xfce as backup.

Please help.
EDIT:
Here are the last several lines of the log at
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
. I still don't know how to handle this.
Code: [Select]
[    42.682] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[    42.682] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
[    42.682] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
[    42.682] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libube.so
[    42.684] (II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    42.684]   compiled for 1.17.4, module version = 1.1.0
[    42.684]   ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[    42.684] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[    42.684] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[    42.684] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libintlO.so
[    42.699] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    42.699]   compiled for 1.17.4, module version = 1.0.0
[    42.699]   ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[    42.699] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[    42.699] (EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect
[    42.699] (II) UnloadModule: "VESA"
[    42.699] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10"
[    42.699] (II) Unloading int10
[    42.699] (II) UnloadSubModule: "vbe"
[    42.699] (II) Unloading vbe
[    42.699] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[    42.699] (EE) Fatal server error:
[    42.699] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[    42.699] (EE) 'Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
[       at http://wiki.x.org for help.
[    42.699] (EE) Please also check the log file at "./home/leaf/.1ocal/share/xorg/Xorg.0.1og" for additional information.
[    42.699] (EE)
[    42.703] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 15:29:20 by Monro »