Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
132 (62.9%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
30 (14.3%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
48 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-04-26 - Cinnamon 3.0, Pamac, Gnome 3.20, KDE, Virtualbox  (Read 28848 times)

Offline adreampuppet

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable, Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE & KDE stable, Cinnamon & LXDE (2) testing
  • GPU Card: AMD Kaveri (Radeon R6 Graphics)
  • GPU driver: free (on testing) & non-free (stable, to run Steam)
  • Kernel: linux318, linux41 & linux 44
  • Skill: Novice
Updated fine on XFCE and KDE (my stable partitions), and am able to boot into KDE using the 4.4.8 kernel -- but I get a black screen (with vague, dark flashing) on XFCE using both the 4.4.8 and 4.5.2 kernels -- and I'm unable to boot.  The 4.1.23 kernel boots without issue.  I haven't tried 4.6 yet.
"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom." Kierkegaard

Offline kmartin

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
  • GPU Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
  • GPU driver: video-intel 2013.01.12 true PCI
  • Kernel: 4.2.8-4.1-MANJARO x86_64
Epic update, all's good... Thanks Development team for the excellent work!  ;)
#4 on distrowatch Well earned, Well done!!!

Offline thrasymachus

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Awesome WM
  • Skill: Intermediate
I am updating on a VB VM, running Manjaro with OpenRC.  After update, on reboot the boot process hangs just before lightdm, so I have a black screen and a flashing underscore cursor...it is taking no kb input, and the only action I can take is to close the vm, or issue a ctrl-alt-del through the VB interface....

UPDATE: alt-f1 produces a tty, so I can log in.  rc-status says xdm has crashed -- do we have a fix for this?
« Last Edit: 27. April 2016, 05:49:50 by thrasymachus »

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
Hi aranwe!
I migrate to  Vertex-Maia but Thunderbird and Firefox are not well integrated.
I got this in terminal:
Code: [Select]
vertex-maia-themes:
  -> For seamless integration of Firefox and Palemoon browsers
  -> please copy the 'chrome' folder of the desired theme to your browser profile
  -> or create a symlink.
==> For example:
  -> 'ln -s /usr/share/themes/Palemoon/Vertex-Maia-Dark/chrome/ ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/<xyz123>.default/chrome'

but i don't get how to do it.
Thunderbird looks good here. Just you might need to restart the application after you change the theme.
For Firefox:
You'll have to find out the name of your profile: In your ~/.mozilla/firefox directory there is a folder with a name consisting of some random letters and numbers. I'll call it xyz.default now, you will use your respective name
Then do in the terminal
ln -s /usr/share/themes/Firefox/Vertex-Maia/chrome ~/.mozilla/firefox/xyz.default/chrome
Just replace 'xyz' with the real name of your folder.
Then restart Firefox and it should match Vertex-Maia theming :)
« Last Edit: 27. April 2016, 15:08:05 by oberon »
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline aranwe

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
Hi aranwe!Thunderbird looks good here. Just you might need to restart the application after you change the theme.
For Firefox:
You'll have to find out the name of your profile: In your ~/.mozilla/firefox directory there is a folder with a name consisting of some random letters and numbers. I'll call it xyz.default now, you will use your respective name
Then do in the terminal
ln -s /usr/share/themes/Firefox/Vertex-Maia/chrome ~/.mozilla/firefox/xyz.default/chrome
Just replace 'xyz' with the real name of your folder.
Then restart Firefox and it should match Vertex-Maia theming :)
Perfect.
Tkank you
Troll kalla mik.

Offline Seydon

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
I am running Manjaro as a Virtualbox guest. I installed the update, which gave no error, however, at reboot, I get to a black screen (with a white blinking cursor) when and where the graphical interface is supposed to start. I am running kernel 4.4, but I also try to load kernel 4.1 that I kept as a fallback. This seems to be the same issue that was reported for kernel 4.5 and might be related to the virtualbox guest additions. However, now I am stuck with a system that cannot boot at all...

Offline tahayassen

• Neuling
My NAS stopped working due to update with ufw.

Problem + solution is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4glmp1/psa_running_pacman_syu_today_may_break_your_ufw/

Offline theduder

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: xfce
  • GPU Card: nvidia GT430
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux448
Hello, after the update my system is now broken and I'm unable to login. The update appeared to apply fine under my regular XFCE install (not a virtual machine) with no errors, but after reboot, I now boot to a blank/black screen instead of a login screen (sometimes with a blinking cursor, sometimes with nothing at all.) Thankfully, I am able to escape the blank screen with Ctrl-Alt-F2, but nothing I've tried will let me back to the login/graphical interface.

I have Linux kernels: 318, 41 and 44 installed. None of which will allow me to boot into my system any more, they all result in the same blank screen/lockup.

This is the first time that I've ever had a stable Manjaro update completely break my system and I really hope that someone is able to figure this out soon. Please let me know if you need any more specific information. Thanks

Offline Azul

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 64-bit
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.5
Hi,

Recently installed the Cinnamon Community Edition and after this update whenever I go to shutdown I get a thing popping up that says that 'Secret Storage Service' is still running but is not responding.

Thanks,

Edit: Figured out it had to do with the Gnome-keyring and or potentially with the libgnome companion app. Reinstalled and now I don't get the message. Yay for self troubleshooting! :P

Edit#2: Nevermind, same thing came back. But does I think seem to be related. I imagine this will be fixed sometime with a new update from the Cinnamon dev team or something. Maybe it's a Gnome issue.
« Last Edit: 27. April 2016, 21:53:52 by Azul »

Offline cb474

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
Update went well for me. I had no issues with the theme. This is on a Mate desktop using TraditionalOK for the controls, Clearlooks-Phenix for window border, and Faenza for icons.

Offline Zileene

• Held Mitglied
  • Desktop: awesomeWM,Gnome
  • GPU Card: various
  • GPU driver: the one that works
  • Kernel: 4.1
Update broke the display manager on an old laptop with Nvidia GPU (8xxx series). Tried both SDDM and LightDM, with no results.
Might be a driver issue...

Atom-based tablet worked fine.
While I may not always have the correct solution, my input could lead you in the right direction...
If you don't know what a command does, then type 'man <command>' or '<command> --help' to find out.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Skill: Guru
Libreoffice looks really weird after GTK 3.20 and vertex. Can't see the menus and icons on the toolbar. Greenbird theme fixes it.

Please post a screenshot and tell us which version of libreoffice you're using. I'm using the still version and it is fine here on XFCE.

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
Hello, after the update my system is now broken and I'm unable to login. The update appeared to apply fine under my regular XFCE install (not a virtual machine) with no errors, but after reboot, I now boot to a blank/black screen instead of a login screen (sometimes with a blinking cursor, sometimes with nothing at all.) Thankfully, I am able to escape the blank screen with Ctrl-Alt-F2, but nothing I've tried will let me back to the login/graphical interface.

I have Linux kernels: 318, 41 and 44 installed. None of which will allow me to boot into my system any more, they all result in the same blank screen/lockup.

This is the first time that I've ever had a stable Manjaro update completely break my system and I really hope that someone is able to figure this out soon. Please let me know if you need any more specific information. Thanks

While my system has never broken after a set of updates, what you describe is exactly the reason why I make a backup of my system every time before updating.

Perhaps it will be possible for you to boot into Manjaro's live cd and then chroot into your broken installation and roll back the updates using the command-line. Then wait until the next round of updates before trying to update your system again.

Offline Serenase

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Desktop: Deepin
  • GPU Card: Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.7GHz
  • GPU driver: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.1.13-1-MANJARO
Everything is good here at Deepin, exept themes are broken. Vertex-maia works best. Thanks for the update!  :o

Offline Shoggoth

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable/testing
  • Desktop: cinnamon/mate
  • GPU Card: Nvidia/Intel
  • Kernel: latest
Everything is fine, but Steam is no longer working:
Running Steam on manjarolinux 16.02 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1461721017)
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

This fixed my issue:
find ~/.steam/root/ -name "libgpg-error.so*" -print -delete