Poll

Did you experience any issue with this update?

No issues, everything went smoothly.
132 (62.9%)
Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
30 (14.3%)
Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
48 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Author Topic: [Update] 2016-04-26 - Cinnamon 3.0, Pamac, Gnome 3.20, KDE, Virtualbox  (Read 29107 times)

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce, Enlightenment
  • GPU Card: ATi 7770 . . . . . . . CPU: AMD octacore 4GHz
  • GPU driver: Free (video-ATI)
  • Kernel: 4.6 (x64)
  • Skill: Intermediate
Just noticed that the menu in LibreOffice does not show in the Vertex-Maia theme.

Offline llogg

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Skill: Novice
Just noticed that the menu in LibreOffice does not show in the Vertex-Maia theme.
Works for me.
Laptop: Ideapad U310, Kernel 4.1, 4.3, MDM, XFCE

Desktop: Kernel 4.0, 4.1, MDM, XFCE, Nvidia non-free drivers

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4

Yes, it's a known issue when using libreoffice-fresh.
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
There is no "select none/select all" checkbox, which means I have to uncheck all 344 packages manually and check the ones I would like to update or I would need to use the command line.
Such a checkbox would be a very useful feature in a scenario like this.
Sounds like a very good idea! However, I think Guillaume and Dustin, the authors of pamac are not around so much here. The best place to suggest this will be on github :)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Yes, it's a known issue when using libreoffice-fresh.

Yes, I'm using the fresh version.

Offline Decay

• Neuling
Re: [Update] Optimus problems?
« Reply #155 on: 28. April 2016, 21:02:56 »
Hi

Got through the default theme issues, but seem to now have a problem with default optimus.
(Laptop with optimus, 4.4x kernel, xfce, all latest updates).

Prior to this update, after the initial startup, the nvidia notification LED would turn itself off, and I would be running on the Intel integrated graphics. That's what I'd like to do.

Now, the notification LED is always on, which indicates that the nvidia card is always on and never powered off. It still seems to be accessing the integrated graphics by default, as I can only access nvidia-settings if I run primusrun nvidia-settings -c :8, as I used to prior to the update.

Code: [Select]
dmesg extract:
[    4.087046] bbswitch: version 0.8
[    4.087050] bbswitch: Found integrated VGA device 0000:00:02.0: \_SB_.PCI0.GFX0
[    4.087054] bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:01:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
[    4.087063] ACPI Warning: \_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20150930/nsarguments-95)
[    4.087132] bbswitch: detected an Optimus _DSM function
[    4.087138] bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver 'nvidia', refusing OFF
[    4.087139] bbswitch: Succesfully loaded. Discrete card 0000:01:00.0 is on

$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2016.02.05               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

After searching around, found this post. Seems like the nvidia driver is not being unloaded. If I follow the modprobe -r nvidia and then the tee command, I can manually turn the discrete card off.

Same happens with 4.1x kernel.  Here says that bumblebeed should turn the nvidia card off. So seems to be something funky with bbswitch/bumblebeed/driver interaction.

I seem to have the same problem since this update. Running Linux 4.4.8-1-MANJARO, bumblebee 3.2.1-13, linux44-nvidia 1:361.42-3 and linux44-bbswitch 0.8-9. I don't have a dedicated LED though, I'm checking the Nvidia card's state using:
cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch

tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFFseems to work to manually turn the card off, but only after a
modprobe -r nvidia
This may be related: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=211359

Offline hitman2

• Neuling
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: ati
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.0.9-1
Hello, after the update my system is now broken and I'm unable to login. The update appeared to apply fine under my regular XFCE install (not a virtual machine) with no errors, but after reboot, I now boot to a blank/black screen instead of a login screen (sometimes with a blinking cursor, sometimes with nothing at all.) Thankfully, I am able to escape the blank screen with Ctrl-Alt-F2, but nothing I've tried will let me back to the login/graphical interface.

I have Linux kernels: 318, 41 and 44 installed. None of which will allow me to boot into my system any more, they all result in the same blank screen/lockup.

This is the first time that I've ever had a stable Manjaro update completely break my system and I really hope that someone is able to figure this out soon. Please let me know if you need any more specific information. Thanks

Did you follow the directions on the update where it says to use mhwd to set your graphics card? Be sure to check notes every time you update.

You can reboot, press 'e' to edit the boot line in GRUB and add a 3 to the end of the line, to get to a command line and use mhwd to set your drivers. Reboot and you should be OK.

i have the same issu.
where a add the 3?
i have many lines  ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
For those having issues accessing their desktop environment after the update (when booting). Try booting with the Manjaro live CD. Install mhwd-chroot and roll back any video-driver update and uninstall Compiz. Also try switching video-drivers or re-installing them.

In the past, these things did the trick for me.

Offline Goligoski

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
Zuki themes work like a charm. And they are very similar to the greybird theme.
https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes

Offline maz5

• Neuling
  • Kernel: 4.4
Everything fine, thank you!

Offline Heart Of A Lion

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
By the way, do we know which themes that were shipped with Manjaro will get updates for GTK3 or is there no information known about this whatsoever?

We know about Vertex and Adwaita of course, but I mean the other themes that were shipped with Manjaro. I can imagine that quite a few people were using Greenbird or Menda for example.
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 22:24:09 by Heart Of A Lion »

Offline Photon

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce+Compiz
  • GPU Card: Intel 4500MHD
Looks like an open question so far: https://github.com/manjaro/release-plan/issues/43

Offline hitman2

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: ati
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.0.9-1
For those having issues accessing their desktop environment after the update (when booting). Try booting with the Manjaro live CD. Install mhwd-chroot and roll back any video-driver update and uninstall Compiz. Also try switching video-drivers or re-installing them.

In the past, these things did the trick for me.

my dvd drive don´t work. is old  :(

Offline aguador

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: E20
  • GPU Card: Intel 945 GME; Radeon 9000; Nvidia 340xx
  • GPU driver: Free; free; free
  • Kernel: Linux314-net; Linux44-x86; Linux44-x64
@Oberon: Color me very red regarding the highlight bar on the pamac dropdown menu.  :-[ :-[ :-[  I know I restarted E each time after changing the theme, but apparently a complete system reinit was needed. When I booted in this evening, everything was functioning correctly.

@fassil: Thanks for the thought even if MedNight was not the solution.

@khalismur -- and other dark theme lovers. One reason I loved the MediterraneanDark and MediterraneanTribute themes is that they did not use pure white for the letters but a very faint grey. As a result, even when integration was not perfect, the letters would still be *just* visible -- enough for login and other purposes. For E users, the MediterraneanDark theme was also a very close match to the defunct e17gtk theme.

I have now integrated the chrome folder for Vertex-Dark in Firefox on my machine and all is smooth sailing. Works super with FF!

(BTW, Vertex is not the only dark theme to provide FF chrome folders, so if you prefer something else *and* it gets fixed, look for a readme and/or chrome folder in with the other theme file. Vertex is the first I have seen to put that folder in a FF subfolder of themes, perhaps as a new gtk3 standard?)

@philm: I neglected to say so earlier, but thank you for updating python-efl. All E users with econnman should now have it working again!
« Last Edit: 28. April 2016, 23:47:14 by aguador »

Offline ConsciousSun

• Neuling
  • Skill: Advanced
my dvd drive don´t work. is old

Why not make a USB stick version of Manjaro Live?