Author Topic: Installation & Configuration Plymouth Boosplash  (Read 368 times)

Offline bretonio

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Skill: Novice
Installation & Configuration Plymouth Boosplash
« on: 12. April 2016, 23:00:01 »
The Manjaro install medium comes with a lovely, out-of-the-box functional Plymouth-based bootsplash screen, but once it is installed I have found it impossible to make this feature work properly on my Manjaro [XFCE, Cinnamon] installation.

I am using plymouth-set-default-theme -R [spinfinity, which I like, and which I have running byootifully on my Linux Mint partition] and I have tried to follow various hints from this and the Archlinux forum on finagling the settings in the /etc/default/grub file and then updating the grub configuration (I use the GUI grub-customizer for most of this, with good success) ...

When I preview the selected theme -- "plymouth --show-splash" -- it runs perfectly, at the proper resolution and continuously throughout the boot process ... whereas my own Plymouth splash session, displayed at the wrong resolution, peters out after maybe five seconds.  Then oddly, on shutdown, the splash now very briefly appears at the proper resolution ...

I suspect a more well-informed tweaking of /etc/default/grub might help solve these  problems ... Any ideas? I thought I might look at the config files on the installation medium ... perhaps the advice to set GFX resolution to 1024x768x32 was not good advice ....

Offline badbodh

• Held Mitglied
  • Windows assumes I'm stupid, Linux proves it.
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Xfce, i3
  • GPU Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series
  • Kernel: linux41 64-bit
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Installation & Configuration Plymouth Boosplash
« Reply #1 on: 12. April 2016, 23:39:01 »
Check the following in their order
1. /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
Code: [Select]
MODULES="<whatever modules your graphics card requires>"
HOOKS="base udev plymouth resume autodetect ...and so on..."
Save the file.
plymouth-set-default-theme.....3.
mkinitcpio -P4. /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash"5.
update-grub6. Reboot

Refer to archwiki for each step.
You can't feel the love till it hurts a little. Go rolling, go bleeding-edge !