Author Topic: Maintainer wanted! :)  (Read 1983 times)

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • GPU driver: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
  • Skill: Intermediate
Maintainer wanted! :)
« on: 17. January 2016, 11:45:20 »
After a really intense time with the Fluxbox and lots of fun playing with it and tweaking it, it feels now like my strong connection with this  environment is fading a little and as I have already said a while ago, I think it's time for someone new to enter the flux-stage with some fresh energy and new ideas.
Building ISOs is becoming easier and easier with our constantly improving tools, so hey, come one guys! Go for it!
Thank you for all your support so far and and Have Fun! :)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline Losgann

• Neuling
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE, Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1.15-1-MANJARO
Re: Maintainer wanted! :)
« Reply #1 on: 21. January 2016, 18:04:00 »
I really love what you've done with the Fluxbox edition, and I would happily help out with what I could, but I don't think I have the knowledge or the skills to actually maintain it. :( I would gladly be an assistant, though.

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
    • O homem que opera a máquina de apontar e fazer cliques
  • Branch: Manjaro JWM 16 dev, Manjaro Fluxbox 15.12, (L)Ubuntu 12.04
  • Desktop: JWM, Fluxbox, LXDE
  • GPU Card: (A porcaria da/the crappy) Via VN800
  • GPU driver: openchrome
  • Kernel: linux42-x86 (on a Pentium M...)
« Reply #2 on: 24. January 2016, 01:47:28 »
@oberon
Ow, really? I just got here, found your amazing job, and now I'm finding that you're leaving... Oka., it happens, I wish you luck in whatever you intent to do next, and I'd like to really say thanks for to worlk you've done.
Cheers,
Ps. Next I'm gonna start a topic asking for a couple of tips from your tweaking in Manjaro Flux, I hope that it can be useful in Manjaro JWM.

@Losgann
Nice, hope you find a team to work with, myself, I believe, I'm kinda becoming an assistant for Manjaro JWM, most testing and checking for config files and stuff like that, but Holmes is 'gluing the pieces together' (building the iso and so).
« Last Edit: 24. January 2016, 01:51:16 by blconde »
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline Losgann

• Neuling
« Reply #3 on: 27. January 2016, 19:22:44 »
@Losgann, hope you find a team to work with, myself, I believe, I'm kinda becoming an assistant for Manjaro JWM, most testing and checking for config files and stuff like that, but Holmes is 'gluing the pieces together' (building the iso and so).
Nice, good for you! I would happily do something similar (assisting, testing, etc.) for Fluxbox or Openbox if anyone steps up to take the lead on either of those, otherwise I guess I'll just go back to my regular XFCE.

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #4 on: 27. January 2016, 20:58:18 »
BTW, dont you want to take a look at Manjaro JWM? Here's the latest test version we're working on: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=30486.0;topicseen .
Anyway, later I'll back to my Manjaro Flux install and try a couple of tricks I've been learning with JWM, this desktop exchange is very nice, make us see with more vivid eyes qualities and problems in both WM.
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline Losgann

• Neuling
« Reply #5 on: 28. January 2016, 02:26:15 »
BTW, dont you want to take a look at Manjaro JWM? Here's the latest test version we're working on: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=30486
Não está mau.  ;)

I always thought of Openbox and Fluxbox as being more up my alley than JWM, but that's about the nicest I've seen JWM look. I might play with it a little. ;)

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #6 on: 28. January 2016, 06:15:43 »
Ahaha, nice that you're playing with portuguese. Another user, @eugen-b , I guess he was also giving a chance to this widely spoken language, but very little know (blame it on Portugal first, that is a lot older then Brazil, eheh).

And, yep, one can say Flux and Openbox are more "mature" (or at least have a wider user base), but I'm getting impress with how flexible and capable JWM is. And Holmes, the maintainer of Manjaro JWM, made an excellent job choosing and tweaking the theme, other people are talking about it too.

One thing I'd like to 'borrow' from this nice Manjaro Flux, though, is that "Regenerate menu": this is very in Flux, I believe also can be in JWM. Of course Flux version should be maintained.
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline Losgann

• Neuling
« Reply #7 on: 28. January 2016, 16:43:40 »
Ahaha, nice that you're playing with portuguese. Another user, @eugen-b , I guess he was also giving a chance to this widely spoken language, but very little know (blame it on Portugal first, that is a lot older then Brazil, eheh).

I really like Portuguese. My knowledge is largely passive, though. I can read and understand quite a lot, but my ability to speak and write is much weaker. I'll work on it! ;)

And, yep, one can say Flux and Openbox are more "mature" (or at least have a wider user base), but I'm getting impress with how flexible and capable JWM is. And Holmes, the maintainer of Manjaro JWM, made an excellent job choosing and tweaking the theme, other people are talking about it too.

I knew about JWM, but I hadn't encountered it much. I think only in Puppy Linux and maybe antiX. And I thought it pretty much looked like Windows 95! ;) It is perhaps a bit more minimalist than I normally like, but I'm impressed with what Holmes has done with it, certainly in terms of appearance.

One thing I'd like to 'borrow' from this nice Manjaro Flux, though, is that "Regenerate menu": this is very in Flux, I believe also can be in JWM. Of course Flux version should be maintained.

Yeah, that's super nice. I hadn't encountered anything like it in Fluxbox before. It looks like it's just an executable Perl script, so I would think that something similar could be done for JWM config files, which are XML, I think. I'm just not a programmer, sadly — I don't know Perl or Python or anything else, or I would try to help.

Offline drumBE

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • welcome to the dark side_______linux user # 527315
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: cinnamon & fluxbox & xfce & openbox
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.1.16-1
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #8 on: 09. February 2016, 18:32:54 »
After a really intense time with the Fluxbox and lots of fun playing with it and tweaking it, it feels now like my strong connection with this  environment is fading a little and as I have already said a while ago, I think it's time for someone new to enter the flux-stage with some fresh energy and new ideas.
Building ISOs is becoming easier and easier with our constantly improving tools, so hey, come one guys! Go for it!
Thank you for all your support so far and and Have Fun! :)
So this mean when there is no one to maintain the fluxbox-edition this gonna be a end of life?
I hope not :-\

The use of the Unix philosophy just for UNIX was a great waste. Fortunately, Linux came along.   -- a Linux user 2005

Offline oberon

• Core Team
  • I'm nice. Be new!
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: i3, Deepin, Cinnamon
  • GPU Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
  • Kernel: 4.1 / 4.4
« Reply #9 on: 09. February 2016, 18:46:29 »
So this mean when there is no one to maintain the fluxbox-edition this gonna be a end of life?
I hope not :-\
You should still be able to use the latest ISO and update it with the newest packages for a long time, I think ... :)
manjaro is addictive ::)
* manjaro-i3  * manjaro-cinnamon  * manjaro-deepin

Offline sebrei

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • i3 wm, jwm-respin, eeepc 901; Dell Latitude E6510;
« Reply #10 on: 09. February 2016, 19:02:39 »
Ok. But isn't that beautiful as well? ;-)
Moral: Es gibt nichts Gutes, außer man tut es.

Offline wordler

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I can wire a plug
  • Desktop: Fluxbox & Xfce
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GT720 1gb ddr5
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: linux4.4-x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #11 on: 13. February 2016, 14:59:06 »
From what I've seen so far, fluxbox hardly ever changes so it should just keep on going unless something really crazy happens with security. All the Manjaro system packages will update anyway and other applications are irrelevant to the core system. My install was from one of Oberon's isos so all the key things are in place. Since then I have ripped out loads of stuff and customised a lot of things but the base packages remain. I've also installed a vanilla xfce desktop on top of this and the DE is now a hybrid of lxde and xfce components using fluxbox as the WM, or xfce if I fancy a few more "toys". As long as the base system is solid,  it doesn't really matter which iso anyone is using: before I decided upon vanilla xfce I tried almost every other DE available through the repos, yet the system was the same underneath of course. You can take any reliable iso, and then do whatever you want with it really, as long as it's stable to begin with. If there are no more Fluxbox isos , anyone can still use Fluxbox as long as it remains in the Arch & Manjaro repos  ;) :)
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline napcok

• Neuling
    • Manjaro PL
  • Desktop: Plasma, Openbox, Fluxbox
  • Kernel: 4.4.4
« Reply #12 on: 10. March 2016, 18:47:40 »
Hello,
I really like Manjaro Fluxbox 15.12. I also like to learn how to build Manjaro isos.
So I decided to try build customized fluxbox iso.
Is manjaro fluxbox iso profile available somewhere or I have to write it from scrach?

Offline vrkalak

• Neuling
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-1_amd64
« Reply #13 on: 10. March 2016, 19:25:40 »
 ^  Try this > there is already a Manjaro-Fluxbox.iso  >  https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro-fluxbox/?source=typ_redirect
« Last Edit: 10. March 2016, 19:27:35 by vrkalak »

..:: Debian-Sid / Fluxbox  ::  Manjaro/Arch 15-12 Fluxbox ::..
Registered Linux User: #497031

Offline napcok

• Neuling
    • Manjaro PL
  • Desktop: Plasma, Openbox, Fluxbox
  • Kernel: 4.4.4
« Reply #14 on: 10. March 2016, 19:41:27 »
^  Try this > there is already a Manjaro-Fluxbox.iso  >  https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro-fluxbox/?source=typ_redirect

I use that already. What I asking for is manjaro-iso-profile used to build that iso with fluxbox. I can't find it on github -> https://github.com/manjaro/manjaro-tools-iso-profiles/tree/master/community.
There is no fluxbox profile :D

Edit: Nevermind, I've got it here -> https://github.com/manjaro/manjaro-tools-iso-profiles/tree/profiles/15.12/community/fluxbox
« Last Edit: 10. March 2016, 19:47:09 by napcok »