Author Topic: Manjaro-Fluxbox 15.12  (Read 8342 times)

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
    • O homem que opera a máquina de apontar e fazer cliques
  • Branch: Manjaro JWM 16 dev, Manjaro Fluxbox 15.12, (L)Ubuntu 12.04
  • Desktop: JWM, Fluxbox, LXDE
  • GPU Card: (A porcaria da/the crappy) Via VN800
  • GPU driver: openchrome
  • Kernel: linux42-x86 (on a Pentium M...)
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: How to remove Pulseaudio
« Reply #30 on: 20. January 2016, 07:04:03 »
Hey, thanks for the reply, I just did that, but about compton (the openchrome drive in my via VN800 video card doesnt deal AT ALL with any kind of composition).

In the end of the day, I'm gonna give a try to pulseaudio, it's been a while that I dont use it, let's see.

Another thing: when I booted the live usb, my resolution (1440x900) was recognized, so the openchrome driver was loaded correctly. But after I installed it, it was gone (didnt even booted in vesa mode, just a black screen). Also, I had to plug into a cable for internet (I dont how to conect to wifi via terminal) and I did a 'sudo mhwd -i pci video-openchrome'. After that it was fine. I dont know if it is a problem with the installer (sorry but I dont remember if I used Calamares or Thus) or it is a problem within the spin itself.

And after a few more days, I hope I write here a few more cents, but it's my opinion.

Hi

In your home folder navigate to .fluxbox (hidden folder). In there is a startup script. Comment out pulseaudio (or remove the pulseaudio entry, better to comment out). This will prevent pulseaudio from running at startup. Remember to save the file and exit. By looking at this script you can see what is being loaded when you login. If you wish to add things you can, remember to add an '&' after each entry and save. Fluxbox has very simple text config files, but little support. Play around, and have fun! If you are unsure, make backup files first, good luck  :)
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
Re: Manjaro-Fluxbox 15.12
« Reply #31 on: 20. January 2016, 10:52:23 »
About openchrome, try to add kernel parameters (by editing /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" ") vga=792 via.modeset=0 or a different vga= and modprobe.blacklist=viafb
I tried myself to get VIA VX800 running on Manjaro but found out that it runs on older Linux (Debian Wheezy based), but as your card was detected on Live CD it is likely that you can make it run.
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #32 on: 20. January 2016, 13:03:22 »
Thanks, I'll try keep that in mind (or come back here) for the next release and/or to config another distro I would use in the future.
BTW, soon I'm gonna write a whole post about my issues with openchrome, maybe you want to take a look. Here's a bug I face in almost every distro I try: http://itmag.es/2Rt2Z (and yes, I can even take screenshots from it, eheh).
This Manjaro release is free from this horrible redish color corruption.
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline daogiahieu

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE plasma 5.5.x
  • Kernel: Linux Manjaro kernel 4.1 LTS
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #33 on: 21. January 2016, 05:58:35 »
Can i ask somethings ?
Why do you include Palemoon in this iso file ?, why not firefox like manjaro KDE or XFCE ?
I am using KDE but now i want to try some Window managers, i have tried manjaro openbox, i don't know if fluxbox is lighter than it ?

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #34 on: 21. January 2016, 07:14:05 »
IMO, no, Fluxbox is just about the same resources hungry than Openbox (both very light, of course), but the folks here maybe have more details about that. There are a few usability differences, like Fluxbox has it's own built in panel (which is very light and a little incomplete; again, IMO), Openbox doesnt, I guess Manjaro Openbox runs tint2 panel.
Maybe, if really wanna try the lightest WM in class (stacking style), take a look at JWM. Here's Manjaro version (which I'm also testing for a few days and then I believe I'll pick a winner for my day to day usage): https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=29323.0 .
BTW, this Fluxbox version, so far, I believe is little more polished, but the JWM one is lighter (doesnt come with pulseaudio, ie) and it's ahead in the race, to me.
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline eugen-b

• Support Team
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: LXDE, Fluxbox, JWM, LXQt, bspwm
  • GPU Card: Intel 82945G/GZ
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 4.5, 4.6
« Reply #35 on: 21. January 2016, 10:21:22 »
@daogiahieu, palemoon takes less disk space and is a bit lighter on RAM. So the question for me would be rather why firefox? ;) Firefox is definitely more popular, but Fluxbox edition got popular enough anyway.

@blconde, I would share with you two links to my topics which might be of interest to you:
Fluxbox menu with icons & tint2 instead of the taskbar
Manjaro does boot on VIA VX800 chipset
MSI Wind Nettop, Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz (64bit), 2GB RAM
DEs: NET-minimal + (LXDE / Fluxbox / JWM); LXQt OpenRC
how to install on btrfs subvolumes
http://manjaro.github.io/donate/

Offline daogiahieu

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: KDE plasma 5.5.x
  • Kernel: Linux Manjaro kernel 4.1 LTS
« Reply #36 on: 21. January 2016, 15:12:52 »
@blconde, @eugen-b
thank for answering :D, at the end of this month when i finish all my exams, i will have two rest week, must try fluxbox and JWM ;)

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #37 on: 22. January 2016, 05:30:58 »
I'd like to share a few of my thoughts over the past week or so with this Manjaro Fluxbox:

First of all, congratulations, very very nice job the maintainers did here!

It's a beautiful community edition, very polished, and mature. Just keep doing what you're doing.

The idea of bringing kinda of a 'complete desktop' is working very well here: printing and bluetooth support, Flash in Palemoon, pulseaduio, the nice right click menu (with the handy 'Regenerate menu'), Cbatticon, Isousb, Gcalculator (attention to tiny details, very well remembered).

So, if I got the idea right, to bring a full desktop with Fluxbox (instead of Xfce, Gnome, KDE etc.), the only thing I would like to suggest is to go ahead this path:
- Maybe bring a bittorrent client? Transmission?
- Xfce Taskmanager instead of Htop? Or Lxtask?
- I like a lot Gnome Disk Usage Analyzer (baobab), I think it's very useful to seek (and most of the times, erase) old stuff in the hd. And is Gparted necessary? Or is it 'left over' of one of the graphical installers (I always get confused with Calamares and Thus)
- BTW, two graphic installers?
- Conky? (Well, I strongly believe this was already discussed, many many times, like a flame war, ehehe, anyway, I would 'vote' to include it, but it's not that big deal.)
- And I guess that's it.

Again, congrats, very nice release.

But I'm afraid I'm leaving this release in favor of JWM, which is a little lighter (IMO/in my cpu). But I liked this Manjaro Fluxbox so much that I'm talking to Holmes, the maintainer of JWM version, that this is a very nice remix to always look at. Manjaro JWM could 'borrow' a few ideas from here, but also have it's own path (like no pulseaudio! Ehehe).
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline vrkalak

• Neuling
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-1_amd64
« Reply #38 on: 22. January 2016, 07:34:37 »
I am an avid Fluxbox WM user ...

The Fluxbox Window Manager is closely based on Blackbox WM.

Fluxbox WM and Openbox WM - can use the xorg-system-core, with NO desktop environment.  Much like what Crunchbang, Archbang and now Manjaro have done.

Fluxbox is still closely based on Blackbox.  Some say that, Fluxbox is the natural progression of Blackbox.  Fluxbox is a basic Blackbox; with a few more things added for user-friendliness.  Not to take anything away from the base-Blackbox build ... the BB-Devs did an awesome job.  I use many of the BB scripts, themes/styles and apps with Fluxbox -- they seems to be pretty much forward and backward compatible.

Openbox, was also, based on Blackbox but has grown more separate from the BB-base, with using and building it's own configs and apps.  Although, Openbox seems to be growing in popularity, with more Linux OS-distro systems using Openbox - as the default Window Manager.

..:: Debian-Sid / Fluxbox  ::  Manjaro/Arch 15-12 Fluxbox ::..
Registered Linux User: #497031

Offline blconde

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • #NãoVaiTerGolpe
« Reply #39 on: 22. January 2016, 08:08:39 »
@vrkalak
Nice to know theses things, I didnt know that Flux, Black and Openbox had a 'common ancestral'. And would you give a couple of examples of BB apps (or stuff) that you use in Flux?
#NãoVaiTerGolpe

Offline simgin

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: All.
  • Desktop: XFCE+Alpine Linux, Mate+Fedora, Ubuntu Server + Mate and NoX+LinuxBBQ
  • GPU Card: GeForce 8600M & GT 555M 2GB
« Reply #40 on: 24. January 2016, 15:10:43 »
Sorry but Blackbox FTW :) No flamewar intended, but I seriously love it's simplicity. I use Flux alot and JWM, started out with Openbox but haven't touched it since Crunchbang, a while ago...

Mr. Flux (aka vrkalak) came out from the shadows, long time no see. You have a massive trail of Flux all over the interwebs :D

cheerio
simgin

Offline vstarsteve

• Neuling
  • Best part about dying is the free theology lesson
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: openbox, xfce, lxde, lxqt, repeat as needed
  • GPU Card: nvidia evga gtx 560ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: klink
« Reply #41 on: 09. February 2016, 00:12:51 »
Awesome job Oberon. also liked your YouTube channel thank you very much .

Offline sfermat

• Neuling
  • Desktop: MATE
  • GPU Card: nvidia nForce 430
« Reply #42 on: 12. February 2016, 16:16:44 »
Hi, i've a problem with multimedia keys, stop key specifically... The output of xev for working kwys (play, next, prev) look like
KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    root 0x24a, subw 0x0, time 10490309, (1055,25), root:(1055,68),
    state 0x10, keycode 172 (keysym 0x1008ff14, XF86AudioPlay), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False
but stop key look like
FocusIn event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
and it work like volume down key
what could it be?
thanks

Offline vstarsteve

• Neuling
  • Best part about dying is the free theology lesson
  • Desktop: openbox, xfce, lxde, lxqt, repeat as needed
  • GPU Card: nvidia evga gtx 560ti
  • Kernel: klink
« Reply #43 on: 19. February 2016, 20:38:59 »
Your fluxbox is awesome and thanks for being one of the Manjaro maintainers.

Offline patientZero

• Neuling
  • I'm new. Be nice!
  • Branch: Manjaro 16.06
  • Desktop: Fluxbox
  • GPU Card: AMD Radeon HD 7520G
  • Kernel: linux44-x64
gratitude
« Reply #44 on: 16. March 2016, 19:10:03 »
Thank you Oberon and everyone who has helped with the Manjaro Fluxbox edition!  This looks really great, and is running faast at ~500MB footprint with 17sec boot!  Things run instantaneously, and the system is very stable. I did replace plank with docky which solved everything about layers and visibility, glad you're adding it to the next build. One thought: when i use the oblogout, i have a 2-3 minute delayed restart or reboot.. the shutdown process is just a flashing cursor in my upper left screen (i removed "quiet splash" in grub config, but no display of processes, just the cursor) then it finally shuts down. However if i end the session by logging out then using the shutdown dialogue there, shutdown process is pretty instantaneous. No real issues otherwise except that i personally prefer more minimal themes than the manjaro-flux, and so have opted to modify Elegant Brit (from AUR)'s config file to Manjarofy it!
edit:
after fighting with almost every media application and everything else for space at the bottom of the screen to press buttons, i ditched all docks and just configured hotkeys to open my common apps, set shadows in compton to false and albert or synapse launcher works fine now.  perfect.

theme available here http://fav.me/d9vhua3

« Last Edit: 18. March 2016, 00:33:33 by patientZero »