Author Topic: Western Digital Green HD - A fix to stop destroying your drive in Linux  (Read 12713 times)

Offline artoo

• OpenRC Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: LXQT/Plasma5, openrc & eudev
  • Kernel: x86_64
  • Skill: Advanced
Re: Western Digital Green HD - A fix to stop destroying your drive in Linux
« Reply #15 on: 16. November 2014, 23:30:33 »
@artoo: When you turn off the WD drive's intellipark "feature" with the following command line (for whatever sd* drive):

Code: [Select]
$ sudo idle3ctl -d /dev/sda

It stops intellipark from sending your drive's load_cycle count numbers up any more, which should make your drive last longer than if you didn't use the above command to kill intellipark.

Did that.

Online Skully

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660ti 2gb
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Kernel: 3.18 x86_64
« Reply #16 on: 17. November 2014, 04:03:18 »
Thas interesting.
I do have 1TB wdc green drive.

After disabling the timer, I still get this, which is about same values as with timer enabled.

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   143   143   000    Old_age   Always       -       173267

It won't go back down. Whats done is done. But you will see that number will grow really really slowly now instead, increasing then lifespan of your drive to alot longer than it was going to be at the current rate the number was growing. You should also find your system more responsive when accessing the drive because you don't have to wait for the head to unpark all the time.

Offline trzalica

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • GPU Card: nVidia Geforce 8800 GT
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Kernel: Linux 4.1 x64
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #17 on: 24. November 2014, 20:26:12 »
Thanks @Skully!!!! Thanks a LOT!!!!

I have 2 WD from Green line and when I saw how many times head parked/unparked I was terrified:
sdb (on which Manjaro and Win7 are installed) - 548433
sda (just for storing purposes) - 128154

I turned off this HDD head sh** and I only hope that sdb will not die soon because of this :-\

Offline salome

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
  • GPU driver: Mesa / nouveau free drivers
  • Kernel: linux314-x64
« Reply #18 on: 24. November 2014, 23:29:23 »
Thank you so much! I didn't know this issue before!

You saved my HDD ;D  !

Offline conky57

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: testing
  • Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.4 (16.10 Fringilla) w/OpenRC
  • GPU Card: M92 Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: 3.18.32-1-MANJARO - x86_64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #19 on: 25. November 2014, 02:47:35 »
Not only green, my spare hd is a blue WD and it had the same issue...ty for this, might give it some more time. 

Best regards.
Be kind to everyone, because everyone is fighting some sort of battle.

LinuxCounter registered user  #278931

Offline taxistacuatroplazas

• Neuling
  • Taxista colabora con la ley
  • GPU Card: desktop->nVidia GTS250; laptop->intel HD4000+nvidia620M
  • GPU driver: non free
  • Kernel: linux3.16-x64
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #20 on: 06. December 2014, 05:15:11 »
Not only green, my spare hd is a blue WD and it had the same issue...ty for this, might give it some more time. 

Best regards.

is it true?..are WD blue also affected by this bug/feature?
 It's a bit late for my, I already have a WD green 1tb broken, but my brother uses a WD blue 500gb in one of its laptops, but only in windows 8. Does this bug also degrade the disk even if its only used from windows?

Online Skully

• Jr. Mitglied
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660ti 2gb
  • Kernel: 3.18 x86_64
« Reply #21 on: 06. December 2014, 05:53:25 »
It most definitely does effect windows as well, but not as fast under normal conditions. I am not sure about the blue drive as I don't have one. But as you can see someone else has had the problem with the blue.
Best off just to check his drive with a SMART utility and see if the number is high. If it is then use wdidle3.exe (I don't have a link) from Western digital to fix it in windows/dos, or put it in your computer and use linux and this guide to fix it.

Offline Masa

• Neuling
  • GPU Card: GeForce GTX 760
  • Kernel: 3.17 x86_64
« Reply #22 on: 30. December 2014, 20:11:26 »
First thanks for this guide.

I have WD green in my computer and it has nearly 70k load cycles after 4900 hours of use. Now after the fix it should be good for many hours more.
Also my friend has WD green on his server it has around 400k load cycles. Luckly it still works and he can move it's content to another drive.

Apparently other wd drive series might have this same feature.

After some searching trough the web it looks like laptop drives on Scorpio Blue and Black series might have this feature, it's a power saving technique? Also its said on couple of threads that Scorpio Blue heads are parked only after 4sec of inactivity. So its possibility that laptop drives do more cycles because of shorter timer.

And if we can trust WD's own specs for WD6400AAKS, (that's blue series) it has auto park feature http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1974/~/specifications-for-the-640-gb-caviar-blue-and-caviar-se16-sata-ii-drive

So if you have Western Digital drive, it's better to check if it has auto park feature enabled and it's load cycles.

Threads about Scorpio Blue
http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-news-reviews/519701-western-digital-scorpio-blue-640gb-review-discussion.html
http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29253-newer-western-digital-hdd-head-parking-and-you/

Offline cphayes0882

• Neuling
I have a WD blue, and it was set to 8 seconds.    Here is my output after about 8 months

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   145   145   000    Old_age   Always       -       167928

ouch.

Offline Ponder

• Held Mitglied
  • When in doubt, go ahead.
  • Branch: OpenRC/Stable
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12
  • GPU Card: Intel Haswell IGP
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Kernel: Buttered
Re: Western Digital Green HD - This Thread Should Be Retitled
« Reply #24 on: 21. March 2015, 14:50:56 »
The subject of this thread badly needs to be changed. It isn't just the WD Green drives that have this issue, but also HGST drives, now owned by WD but under separate management (allegedly) and at least some Samsung drives. The Samsung drives park after 21 seconds.

Apparently this is all due to some EU regs requiring minimal power usage by "idle" computers.
-- systemd free, by design --

Try Manjaro OpenRC Edition for a Poettering free experience.

Offline exploder

• Jr. Mitglied
  • GPU Card: Intel
  • Kernel: 4.1.0 LTS
The title of this actually drew me right to it and probably saved my hard drive from failing early. I went as far as to share this information with all my friends on another forum that I know several members use these drives.

The load cycle count on my hard drive is 648477, more than double of what the manufacturer recommends. The drive has been in use for 1 year and 3 months...

Can this same fix be used with other manufacturers drives? My laptop has a Hitachi 320 GB drive that also has a very high load cycle count and it has only been in use for a few months according to the smart data...

Offline Ponder

• Held Mitglied
Yes, as far as I know it works for all drives. As mentioned in my earlier post, Hitachi sold their drive division (Hitachi Global Storage Division, the ex IBM TravelStar stuff) now called HGST to WD. Those tools definitely work on my HGST drive.

I have two Samsung drives in a Synology NAS. Running hdparm shows APM has been turned off. Their load cycles are normal at roughly 1,600 cycles each after some years of being powered up 24/7. I have the drives set to spin down after four hours of inactivity, which accounts for some of the cycles. A little research showed that the Synology software disables APM as a matter of course.

When I first got the drives and tested them, I heard the clicking and called Samsung tech support. They had no idea what it was.
« Last Edit: 21. March 2015, 15:37:09 by Ponder »

Offline exploder

• Jr. Mitglied
Thanks Ponder! My Hitachi drive seems to suffer from this but the output from trying this is "this is not a western digital green drive". Maybe I need to go back and try this again.
« Last Edit: 21. March 2015, 16:20:36 by exploder »

Offline Ponder

• Held Mitglied
What command did you use? I think there is more than one way to do this stuff. I have the following in rc.local:

hdparm -B 254 /dev/sdb
It works with my HGST drive.

Offline exploder

• Jr. Mitglied
Thanks Ponder!