Author Topic: Manjaro Awesome WM Respin  (Read 87977 times)

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
  • Branch: Testing
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • GPU Card: GTX 960
  • GPU driver: video-nvidia
  • Kernel: 3.16
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Manjaro awesome WM Respin
« Reply #15 on: 07. October 2013, 20:43:35 »
Ooh, I like the wallpaper. Is this lighter than the Openbox version?

Wallpaper - http://www.wallconvert.com/wallpapers/digital-art/northern-lights-over-mountain-peaks-10854.html
and some other nice ones http://hdw.eweb4.com/out/880215.html

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #16 on: 07. October 2013, 21:08:00 »
Culinax, we need a 32-bit version please.

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
  • Branch: Unstable
  • Desktop: Awesome 3.5
  • GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce 710M - Intel (Optimus)
  • GPU driver: Free Driver
  • Kernel: Linux315-x64
« Reply #17 on: 07. October 2013, 21:32:04 »
great to see these respin and am interested to know this. I will download and test. congratulations Culinax... ;)

vlw fwi, Holmes :)
Thank you very much for the kind words!

thanks for this respin, looks solid. to make it more awesome-newbie-friendly you could put some useful keybindings onto the wallpaper (or use conky for that). i can imagine many unexperienced users to shut down pretty fast, if they don't know how to open/close programms, surf with dwb, etc...
Won't Conky use too much CPU and RAM? But if I put it on the wallpaper, then the text won't be scaled properly I think. Maybe I can add a little script that will launch after first boot? In which I could explain some stuff (keybindings) and maybe include my installscript, so I can remove most pre-installed apps such as dwb. Does that sound acceptable?

I'm gonna leave the keybindings as they are by default btw, so the information from the awesome website should still be valid.

You can use this tutorial to share your configs with the community. Also you might upload your configs to your sourceforge project.
Profile = configs/awesome/? And configs = configs/awesome/awesome-overlay/? Sorry I'm quite new to this and don't know the terminology yet.

Ooh, I like the wallpaper. Is this lighter than the Openbox version?

Wallpaper - http://www.wallconvert.com/wallpapers/digital-art/northern-lights-over-mountain-peaks-10854.html
and some other nice ones http://hdw.eweb4.com/out/880215.html
It used about 94-96 MB RAM after booting in Virtualbox, no idea how much Openbox uses.

Culinax, we need a 32-bit version please.
After a lot of hassle, I was able to compile the i686 packages. I won't be able to run buildiso and upload it today though. You can expect it tomorrow evening. I'm really sorry for letting you wait :/
« Last Edit: 07. October 2013, 21:56:04 by Culinax »
Manjaro Awesome WM Respin: Current version: 0.8.10
Belgian/Dutch Manjaro Linux users: unite! http://manjaro-nl.org/ | IRC: #manjaro-nl

Offline Zileene

• Held Mitglied
  • Branch: Stable
  • Desktop: awesomeWM,Gnome
  • GPU Card: various
  • GPU driver: the one that works
  • Kernel: 4.1
« Reply #18 on: 07. October 2013, 22:23:23 »
This looks interesting.  :)

I'm gonna grab it tomorrow for testing out, since I haven't logged on to Openbox in weeks and am doing a reinstall anyway.

Won't Conky use too much CPU and RAM? But if I put it on the wallpaper, then the text won't be scaled properly I think. Maybe I can add a little script that will launch after first boot? In which I could explain some stuff (keybindings) and maybe include my installscript, so I can remove most pre-installed apps such as dwb. Does that sound acceptable?

I'm using a slightly modified version of Manjaro's 'default' Openbox conky, and it resides at around 8MB memory use.
I don't think that's too much of a resource sacrifice for those who want to learn how to use their awesome desktop.  :P
While I may not always have the correct solution, my input could lead you in the right direction...
If you don't know what a command does, then type 'man <command>' or '<command> --help' to find out.

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #19 on: 07. October 2013, 22:32:26 »
After a lot of hassle, I was able to compile the i686 packages. I won't be able to run buildiso and upload it today though. You can expect it tomorrow evening. I'm really sorry for letting you wait :/

Lol, no rush! Thanks, I'll download it and try it on my old laptop when available.

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Branch: unstable
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • GPU driver: video-nouveau
  • Kernel: 4.6
« Reply #20 on: 07. October 2013, 23:56:01 »
I'm using a slightly modified version of Manjaro's 'default' Openbox conky, and it resides at around 8MB memory use.
I don't think that's too much of a resource sacrifice for those who want to learn how to use their awesome desktop.  :P
i use a much bigger conky with more stuff in it and my conky executes all sorts of programs around every 30 seconds. it still uses only 6mb. the cpu usage should be negligible anyways.
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

Offline fassil

• Support Team
  • Branch: stable/unstable
  • Desktop: E19/E20
  • GPU driver: free
  • Kernel: Linux314 & 318
« Reply #21 on: 08. October 2013, 11:42:31 »
Hi,

Weldone  ;)

Manjaro needs light respin Isos for "notebooks"(I hate this "intel" name)/old configs & lowspeed-internet...

So long,
"Are you enlightened ?"

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #22 on: 08. October 2013, 20:06:28 »

Lol, no rush! Thanks, I'll download it and try it on my old laptop when available.
I've just finished uploading the 32-bit (i686) version. Please don't be too enthusiast so that the sourceforge page doesn't crash ;)

This looks interesting.  :)

I'm gonna grab it tomorrow for testing out, since I haven't logged on to Openbox in weeks and am doing a reinstall anyway.

i use a much bigger conky with more stuff in it and my conky executes all sorts of programs around every 30 seconds. it still uses only 6mb. the cpu usage should be negligible anyways.
Hmm, 6-8MB of memory won't make the difference I think. I'm currently working on a post-installation-script that would contain some information including the keybindings among other useful things. I might include conky as temporary alternative before my scripts are finished.

Hi,

Weldone  ;)

Manjaro needs light respin Isos for "notebooks"(I hate this "intel" name)/old configs & lowspeed-internet...

So long,
Thank you. A light system is always nice to use, even on my brand new laptop I'm using awesome wm.
Belgian/Dutch Manjaro Linux users: unite! http://manjaro-nl.org/ | IRC: #manjaro-nl

Offline mips

• Held Mitglied
  • Valkyrja
« Reply #23 on: 10. October 2013, 19:27:57 »
I've just finished uploading the 32-bit (i686) version. Please don't be too enthusiast so that the sourceforge page doesn't crash

Thx, will dl it tonight.

Offline poker98face

• Held Mitglied
  • Open your Source, Open your Mind
  • Branch: stable Arch
  • Desktop: KDE
  • GPU Card: ATI 5470
  • Kernel: 3.15 Arch
« Reply #24 on: 10. October 2013, 21:07:44 »
Hi,

Weldone  ;)

So long,
Isn't Openbox edition light?  :o Conky using too much Ram? yeah, maybe if you use computer with 128 mb ram...

PC: Windows 7 Notebook: Arch

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #25 on: 12. October 2013, 21:35:33 »
I'm glad to announce the second release of this respin (0.8.7.1-b2). Most important changes are:
* Codename changed to: Cesious
  (Thanks to HardyH for telling me that the previous codename sounded too similar to a disease)
* Added my Post Installation Script, which automatisates things which should be done after installation. It also includes a script to easily remove pre-installed applications, and to install alternatives. This way I don't feel guilty about including pre-installed apps. Current features of it are:
  - Setting up wireless connection
  - Quick starting guide with keybindings
  - Initalizing/populating keyrings + ranking mirrors + syncing to the repos + updating the system
  - Install applications sorted by category and/or remove pre-installed applications
* Updated the config file and all keybindings are reverted to their original keybindings.

It can be downloaded again from the same sourceforge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro-awesome-respin/files/

I have 2 questions towards the userbase now:
1) What would you think of changing the interactive shell from bash to zsh? zsh is a lot more powerful and has many more intereactive features. While bash ofcourse will still be installed for all scripts to be ran. Or is that a bad idea considering most distros/people use bash and people seem to be resistant to changes.
2) Does anyone use the drop-down possibility? I can imagine it's something that not many people use, otherwise I'll remove it.

Offline Kolibry

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: Openbox
  • GPU Card: Ati Radeon HD6290 Wrestler
  • Kernel: Linux manjaro 3.12.30-1
« Reply #26 on: 15. October 2013, 14:23:02 »
Thanks a lot for your work :)

I think moving to Zsh is a good idea too.
Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - HDD 1To-  Radeon HD6290
 Manjaro Openbox - Github

Offline Culinax

• Support Team
« Reply #27 on: 15. October 2013, 19:59:28 »
Thank you :)

I'll see if I can make zsh the default shell, I have no idea how to start doing it though. But if I can't figure it out, then I'll just put it in the Post Installation Script (which I am also rewriting for the 3rd time).

I'm also gonna try to use Infinality for font rendering. I installed it for the first time last week, and the difference is enormous. So I consider it a must to make it default.

Offline aaditya

• OpenRC Team
    • My Website
  • Desktop: Xfce, Openbox
  • GPU Card: Intel HD 4000
  • Kernel: Linux 4.4 x86_64
« Reply #28 on: 15. October 2013, 20:12:43 »
To make zsh as the default shell,

Code: [Select]
sudo usermod -s /bin/zsh $USER
to revert to bash just replace zsh by bash in the above :)

Offline Esclapion

• Support Team
    • manjaro
  • Branch: stable
  • Desktop: Lxqt
  • GPU Card: GTX 970
  • GPU driver: nonfree
  • Kernel: 4.4.6
  • Skill: Advanced
« Reply #29 on: 15. October 2013, 20:15:45 »
No chsh::)
Venez nous rejoindre sur l'IRC francophone
Patrice - Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent (Asimov)